Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

New drivers license gender marker question

Started by Amy1988, November 10, 2015, 06:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy1988

I got my name change court order and updated my social security now I can get my new driver license with my new name.  Now here's my question.  The application where it asks for gender.  Can I put female?  I mean could I get in trouble?
  •  

FTMax

It depends what state you're in and what procedures they have in place. Did you update your gender with Social Security as well? At least in my state, they won't update it at the DMV if you haven't updated it with SSA.

I needed the printout from Social Security saying my name and gender were updated, an application for a new driver's license, and my court order for the name change.

In advance of that, I had to submit a letter to the DMV from my doctor saying that I have successfully transitioned from female to male. They mailed me back a form to take to the DMV to have the gender marker updated.

It's probably a little different from state to state.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

iKate

I seem to remember that you are in NC.

The standard doctor's letter you use for social security to change gender should work or you can get a court order to change your gender.

It is really state specific though. In NJ it's just a form signed by your therapist, doctor or psychiatrist. Social security doesn't have to be updated. I had my gender marker changed for months before I changed my name and everything else.
  •  

Amy1988

Quote from: iKate on November 11, 2015, 10:39:24 AM
I seem to remember that you are in NC.

The standard doctor's letter you use for social security to change gender should work or you can get a court order to change your gender.

It is really state specific though. In NJ it's just a form signed by your therapist, doctor or psychiatrist. Social security doesn't have to be updated. I had my gender marker changed for months before I changed my name and everything else.

Actually I'm I South Carolina but I have not had SRS.  Only hormones. 
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Amy1988 on November 11, 2015, 12:25:09 PM
Actually I'm I South Carolina but I have not had SRS.  Only hormones.

In that case you need an updated birth certificate or a court order. I have heard of people using updated passports which are easy to obtain with the same letter from social security.
  •