Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Being "out" in your local community

Started by Sarah82, November 03, 2015, 06:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah82

As I've mentioned before, ad nauseam I know, I'm a carer living in a fairly close knit retirement village with my Nana.
I recently started outing myself, to my Nana's friends and some of the people with whom I have regular interactions, telling them about my transition the hows and whys of it.

So far all the reactions I have received are positive and even on my recent trips out as myself I faced no negativity or mockery... Although a friend of mine said in jest "Who, in their right mind, would antagonise a 6'2" transwoman who is a former boxer and crowd controller?"

I wanted to know how my brothers and sisters here in Australia have found this stage of their transition?

I've heard the horror stories but I have always thought that most Australians are too layed back worries about what others are doing, I think it might be to do with the heat.

Thanks for humoring me.
Hugs,
Sarah

•  

Rainbow Bay

I haven't really had any negative responses in my coming out.

Although, I lived as genderqueer for awhile before transitioning and one morning on my way to work a big islander guy asked me if I was a 'he' or a 'she'. I didn't say anything, and besides I was using gender neutral pronouns at the time, haha. He asked me again and I remained silent and then he just walked away looking confused.

But since transitioning everyone has been nice and polite to me. I live and work in the inner-west of Sydney so it feels like a pretty safe bubble to me. It's probably different for transpeople living in more rural or conservative areas. idk.

•  

Cindy

I've had no problems at all. Well except that each grocery trip is twice as long as the shop assistants and I need to catch up on our love lives :laugh:

As for rural areas, I do recall my psych telling me a story. He reassigned a transman from a rural community and several weeks later got a later back from the local pub.

Dear Dr,

Thank you for helping X. He is a lot happier being a guy and now doesn't beat us up at the pub every Friday.

Yours the staff and guys at XYZ Pub.

•  

Rainbow Bay

Quote from: Cindy on November 10, 2015, 02:03:37 AM

Thank you for helping X. He is a lot happier being a guy and now doesn't beat us up at the pub every Friday.

Yours the staff and guys at XYZ Pub.

Haha, this is great. Another social benefit of embracing transgender people. xxx
  •  

Serenation

My youth was pretty rough in rural Australia in the late 80's early 90's, I was born with messed up hormones and people didn't like it. I guess that's more people having an issue with intersex than anything else (and it's not like they knew, they just seen that I was different). After going full time female I had 0 issues. People are always very kind.

I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

LauraJ

I live in rural nsw. Think when I do come out its going to be rough
  •  

Sarah82

Good news everyone!

I've been out for a fortnight now and have been out dressed as myself several times and there have been no issues, no insults, a couple of funny looks but nothing bad.

There may be a few people that have a problem but so far they haven't bothered me and everyone else tells me I'm brave. I can't really tell them that I'm not brave I just couldn't live a lie anymore.

I hope things turn out as well for everyone else :)

Hugs,
Sarah

•  

ToniB

Hi Sarah

I also get called BRAVE for becoming Myself and like You I do not feel Brave I feel that for the past 59 Years I was a coward for not admitting to myself and everybody the t6ruth that I am a FEMALE .I live in total regret that I did not do this Years ago .Knowing what I do now I would have been a lot Happier in Myself .My only positives from My past are My two Children and the Wonderful Woman that I am now Married to I would almost certainly not have them if I had transitioned at an earlier age so I suppose my old life as HIM was not a total waste LOL. Saying that I would under no circumstances ever possibly consider going back to that Life . I absolutely love being Myself I have never been happier in my life I have more friends now than I ever had as Him people like the new Me  and I like people a lot better now as well now I do not have to hide my true nature
The girl inside is just as important expecially to Yourself :)
  •  

OCAnne

Hello Everyone,  I was very active in my community prior to transition.  Slowed down a bit but still voice my opinion publicly at City Hall meetings.  Even made today's local paper.  http://www.whittierdailynews.com/government-and-politics/20151116/la-habra-heights-starts-process-that-could-lead-to-road-tax-vote?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Must admit was not trilled to see my old name published along with new legal name.  The reporter did consult with me at the urging of his editors on how I should be addressed. But he did not honor my preference of burning the past.
His felt my advocacy was instrumental in defeating the tax...I funded the campaign!

Be brave because #GirlsLikeUs can stand and deliver!
'My Music, Much Money, Many Moons'
YTMV (Your Transsexualism May Vary)
  •