Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

FFS with Facial Team - Wed April 6th 2016

Started by Paula1, November 27, 2015, 07:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paula1

Hi everyone,

I am scheduled to have corrective forehead surgery, another rhinoplasty and a further upper lip lift with Facial Team in Spain.

The history of my FFS journey began in February 2004 and is detailed in my thread  ' Thank God for the UK's National Health Service '

See:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,180029.0.html 

So another chapter has begun and on Monday my 2000 Euro deposit will be on it's way.

I am getting excited already ...  :)

More to follow as events unfold.

Time for bed, it's been an exhausting day and I am NOT getting up too early ....  ;)

•  

Paula1

After a good night's sleep and a relaxing day, going up to London at my age is quite tiring ...   ;D ... I have booked my accommodation in Marbella and paid the deposit.

I am flying out on Thursday March 31st, chill out around the pool in the complex situated in Marbella's Golden Mile, hopefully meet up with Jenny Bowden from Hidden Woman and enjoy some restaurants with her and other FT patients who are staying at her villa. We did this last time back in May and it was great.

Also I will buy in my food at the supermarket situated very close by.

The following week is reserved for pre-op tests, surgery mid-week, one night in hospital and then return to the apartment.

The final week, I will continue to recover and fly back to the UK on Friday 15th April, 16 nights in total.

A friend of mine will be taking care of me for the first few days.

When I had my previous corrective forehead surgery in London back in October 2014, I stayed in hospital for two nights but could easily have gone home after one night as the bruising was minimal and this I have noticed with Facial Team's post-op forehead surgery patients that I have met over in Marbella. 

I know that the worst part will be the corrective rhinoplasty as Dr Bellinga will be using cartilage from the rear of my two ears to improve the appearance. He said that the ears especially are going to be really sore ...  :o

I have never really liked my nose as it was shortened too much and looks rather piggy. But I have learnt to live with it. I want the nose that I originally had hoped for.

Also beneath the right alars, I was left with a vertical raised ridge (sub-dermal lesion). This scar will go when the next upper lip lift is done as the original lift was too conservative and lengthened again by the two fat injections.

In addition, I still get constant nose bleeds which Dr Capitan will investigate when he performs the reconstruction of my forehead. It had never been properly reconstructed as it was burred down in February 2004.

The implants that were inserted in October 2014, he will remove as they do not look right as now all the swelling has gone down, they are very obvious and unnatural looking.

So this is a complex surgery and quite a challenge to both surgeons.

After my original FFS, some friends of mine were surprised that I had any facial surgery. They were always unaware of my transition, so they said 'Why'. I said that I needed forehead surgery due to an accident many years ago, which is true as I had an accident at birth!!   

The forehead was definitely smoother and less male which was feminising but because my nose was not great, my face lost some character and it's original individuality. Also I continue to either being mistaken as a sister with my older friends who have the same nose and the mother of my younger friends with the same nose. A great compliment in many ways because we all look entirely female but also very annoying in other ways !!

Originally, I was lucky to only need forehead surgery and nose work as I inherited many of my late mother's features such as high cheek bones, a good jaw and chin etc.

With regards my visible direct brow lift scars from 1991 above the actual eyebrows, especially the left indented one, fat or fillers during surgery or at a later date will be inserted and once all this has settled in, I will have some hairs from my head grafted in to hide the scars and possibly some permanent make-up.

I will also be getting my eyebrows rehaped by actual hair and permanent make-up as they have never been good.

Yesterday at Facial Team's London consultations, two ladies from a firm called April's Touch were attending and telling us about the opening of a new branch in London next Spring. They already have a place in Holland.

http://www.aprilstouch.nl/   Their website is coming soon.

I will be sending them fotos of my eyebrows so they can photoshop them with a better shape.   

So there we are, lots to look forward to next Spring and 16 days in Spain too which is very appealing as I understand that the weather is very nice then.   

My FFS journey continues:

•  

ClaudiaLove

Hello ,

Congratulations for the surgery booking and thank you for sharing your story . It's no long until then and i hope all your wishes will be solved .

•  

Paula1

Thanks Claudia,

It sure has been a marathon.

26 years since my first procedure and counting ...  ;)

Hugs

Paula  xx

•  

Paula1

Morning all.

My check list:

1) 2000 Euro Deposit sent

2) Copy of Passport sent

3) Copy of letter from surgeon with my SRS/GRS date sent ( This to prove I am or have been provided with transgender- related healthcare)  This is also to prevent Spanish tax ( around 20%) being added to surgery costs - an excellent tax relief over there.

4) Accommodation booked in Marbella and deposit sent. Details already sent to Facial Team

5) Blood Tests including parameters: Haemogram, Coagulation,HIV and Hepatitis(B and C) to be sent once they are done

6) Flight details to be sent once they are booked ( This to be done as soon as Facial Team confirm receipt of deposit and confirmed surgery schedule with me )

Just need to keep getting fitter than I am already as four months will fly by only too quickly.

Note to myself: Don't eat or drink too much over the festive season .. LOL  ;D

and hey, despite being very excited, I am also nervous which is normal even after all the procedures that I have had since 1989 ...  :o

•  

Paula1

I could not resist ....  ;)

I am singing it all the time ...  :)

•  

Paula1

Last May, I flew out to Spain with Monarch Airlines and was suitably impressed.

http://www.monarch.co.uk/

So flights booked with them again Tuesday afternoon - London Gatwick to Malaga - £200.98 return which includes the extra hold baggage of 26kg ( allowed only the single case which for 2 weeks is fine plus carry-on, of course ), larger seat up front ( bigger than Virgin Premium Economy ) and priority boarding at Malaga when I return ( gained from the experience last year at Malaga ) also because I will be recovering still from surgery and will want to get onboard as quickly as possible.

I thought about flying BA but the outward flight is in the evening whereas Monarch's flight is departing at 3.25pm to arrive in Spain at 7.15pm ( They are one hour ahead of the UK). This will give me plenty of time to be picked up by Facial Team's pre-arranged transport, be driven to my apartment in Malaga, dump my cases and walk the 10 odd minutes to the wonderful restaurant that Jenny Bowden of Jenny's Place http://www.thehiddenwoman.com/contact/ took me to in Old Town, Marbella last May ...  :) Note to self -  I had better make a reservation the week before.

The next day I will fully unpack and buy food for the first week. The apartment has a pool which I will use a lot before surgery cos I sure will not be using it afterwards ...   :o

The studio apartment has aircon and free w-fi plus colour TV tuned into all the UK stations so I will not miss Eastenders when I am chilling out ...  ;D

Cost for the 16 days I am there is £583.00 = £36.43 a night. It's so much cheaper to stay in Spain compared to "Rip Off UK".

I am really looking forward to the few days in Marbella before getting beaten up for the umpteenth time ... ;)

Now just need to find another suitable song to sing cos the other one is boring everyone including me.

Finally today I filled in all my personal details and medical information which I then sent to FT.

•  

Paula1

PS. The apartment is booked via  http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/

who are part of Trip Advisor.

Very quick reply from the English owner of the apartment who lives in the complex and she will be able to provide an additional airbed and linen to go on the floor, if I have a second friend come over from the USA to be with me.
  •  

Paula1

This is the restaurant that Jenny Bowman took me to last May in Old Town, Marbella with two other FT post-op patients, one from the USA and the other from France. I wonder how they are doing now.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187439-d2214190-Reviews-El_Tanguito-Marbella_Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html

Restaurant El Tanguito.

It is situated around the corner from the old Jenny's Nest.

Can't wait .... :) and will pre-book before I leave the UK so I have a restaurant that I already know to relax in after my day's travels.
  •  

Paula1

Hi everyone,

The last 14 months since the relative failure of my revision surgery in London's Chelsea & Westminster has been a bit of a nightmare to say the very least.

I will now admit that there was one point in the early Spring when I was really down that I even thought of de-transitioning after all these years ( I transitioned in 1989 - 26 years back ) !!!!!  :o  God forbid.

That was how depressed I had become.

However my friends and brilliant local doctor (GP) were incredibly supportive and picked me off the floor.

Without them I might not have even been here to tell you this long running saga since February 2004.

Sleeping tablets had become very attractive !!!

When I travelled down to Spain this May to see the Facial Team and they told me that they can sort my problems out, my confidence slowly returned.

The team down there have also helped me come alive again.

I had become a virtual recluse up to that point which was doing me no good at all.

Some of these goddam surgeons have a lot to answer for ...  :(

This Christmas I have gone all out to really enjoy the festive season with my friends, so my life is back on track now ...  :)

14 weeks and one day, I will be on that plane to Malaga, Spain.

Merry Christmas one and all.

Paula

PS. Looking back on it, I can now see the funny side of becoming Paul again but at the time I was dead serious and as all my friends said " That would have made my situation even worse ".

Quote from: Paula1 on December 22, 2015, 04:01:00 PM

Quote from this thread: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,201166.0.html

Sure there are risks with any surgery but it's vital to reduce those risks as much as possible by getting as much information from other people who have had surgery with various surgeons.
If you see my thread https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,180029.0.html

you will see that my journey has been far from easy.

And it's not finished yet.

See my latest threads:    https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,199847.new.html#new

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,200643.0.html

•  

Paula1

Before I had my FFS in Feb 2004, I had Alexandra Hamer of Virtual FFS perform some virtuals for me which I showed to the surgeon beforehand but he ignored. I was looking younger back then but all the stress has aged me as well as the progression of time.

The befores were taken in Dec 2003 and the afters in May 2013 but before the October 2014 revisions in London

This is the left side virtual before the 2004 surgery: I think that the nose is just a little too big but it was based on my existing nose.

After surgery - you can see that the nose and upper lip lift is very different to what I got with that stupid fat in the top lip that negated the upper lip lift performed. That darn fat looks like I have been in the boxing ring and lost ...  >:( Also note the too high eyebrows!! Excuse my crappy hair but I had just got up after travelling 1500 miles from Chicago to Albuquerque, NM

Here is the 3/4 view from VFFS

and the same view after surgery. You can see the deformity over the left frontal sinus.

and finally the frontal view from VFFS

and after FFS. Note the vertical ridge below the right alars and generally poor alarplasty performed.

Facial team will be performing a fresh upper lip lift which will also get rid of the vertical ridge (sub-dermal lesion) My present nose is way too short, piggy like and out of proportion to my face. I was given his standard cookie cutter nose.

Facial Team's Dr Bellinga has a very challenging revision rhinoplasty to perform as well as Dr Capitan's & Dr Simon's complex craniofacial reconstruction.

Then in a couple of year's time, I will be getting a full cervicofacial lifting which will also get rid of that turkey neck ...  :o

Lots to look forward to ...  :) but how I wish that I had never seen the Windy City that year ...  >:( ( although the place itself is great ).
  •  

Paula1

Since 2004 and together with the terrible direct brow lift that I had done in June 1991 ( which I used to hide with bangs ), my self confidence has never been good and when people who come to know me well and either ask me direct " Why all the scars? " or I simply volunteered how I came to get them because I knew they were closely studying my face and my self confidence is so poor, I will say " I had been in a serious accident many years ago ".

I never tell them my background but isn't it such a shame that I have even had to say this due to the poor surgery that I have received?

However, I am not telling these people an untruth because my accident did happen but when I was born, it's called being transgender !!!

PS. Just remembered, in 2006 two years after my FFS, I was sitting with a girlfriend in a local winebar and she introduced me to some other ladies who had just walked in. While we were chatting, one of them said " You have had a nosejob - I can tell ". I thought it was rather rude but it did upset me that my rhinoplasty was so obvious.

Quote from: Paula1 on December 23, 2015, 04:40:59 PM
Hi everyone,

The last 14 months since the relative failure of my revision surgery in London's Chelsea & Westminster has been a bit of a nightmare to say the very least.

I will now admit that there was one point in the early Spring when I was really down that I even thought of de-transitioning after all these years ( I transitioned in 1989 - 26 years back ) !!!!!  :o  God forbid.

That was how depressed I had become.

However my friends and brilliant local doctor (GP) were incredibly supportive and picked me off the floor.

Without them I might not have even been here to tell you this long running saga since February 2004.

Sleeping tablets had become very attractive !!!

When I travelled down to Spain this May to see the Facial Team and they told me that they can sort my problems out, my confidence slowly returned.

The team down there have also helped me come alive again.

I had become a virtual recluse up to that point which was doing me no good at all.

Some of these goddam surgeons have a lot to answer for ...  :(

This Christmas I have gone all out to really enjoy the festive season with my friends, so my life is back on track now ...  :)

14 weeks and one day, I will be on that plane to Malaga, Spain.

Merry Christmas one and all.

Paula

PS. Looking back on it, I can now see the funny side of becoming Paul again but at the time I was dead serious and as all my friends said " That would have made my situation even worse ".
  •  

Paula1

Happy Christmas everyone ...  :)

Been working out how much I have spent crossing the Atlantic from here in the UK since 2004 up to 2013 when I had my last revision done.

Air Fares - £3800

Expenses at £250 a week x 2 weeks a stay - £3500 (in reality a lot more per week as I stayed on longer many times to visit friends )

Travel Insurance - £1400

Hotels - £1500 approx ( Lucky again because some of the times I stayed with friends )

So that's £10,200 approximately

That would have paid for a lot of surgery let alone the original FFS cost.

Frightening eh?

Also I have already spent and will spend more for my trips to Spain plus surgery costs.

Who said that transitioning is either easy or cheap !!!!  LOL   ;D

•  

shoko

wishing you the best this coming spring :)  i'll use your thread as reference if i decide to place my deposit for a spring surgery as well.  i want to do mine around march otherwise after may..
  •  

Paula1

Hiya,

Merry Christmas ...  :)

Thank you for your good wishes <hugs>

If you decide on Facial Team, I tried to book my surgery during March but they were unable to accommodate me.

But that does not necessarily mean they cannot accommodate you, so best to get in touch with them.

Take care and also Happy New Year.

May all your FFS and other dreams come true.

Paula

Quote from: shoko on December 25, 2015, 10:54:13 AM
wishing you the best this coming spring :)  i'll use your thread as reference if i decide to place my deposit for a spring surgery as well.  i want to do mine around march otherwise after may..
  •  

katrina0411

Dear Paula,

I am still in the process of choosing an FFS surgeon. I can't choose between Dr. Bart vs Facial Team. If it's ok to ask, what made you choose them? I think both surgeons are impressive.
  •  

Paula1

Hi Katrina,

No problem.

I chose Facial Team for the following reasons:

1) I have attended two of their London consultations this year and was very impressed with their post-op patients results.

2) Dr Capitan who I have seen both times has been totally upfront with my problems and no bull>-bleeped-< either. Dr Bellinga was at the second consultation. and he explained very thoroughly my complex rhinoplasty.

3) When I visited them in Spain this May, I also met up with Dr Simon and Dr Bellinga and they both impressed me with their candour and professionalism.

4) Also when i was in Spain I went into HC Hospital, Marbella and it was very clean and professional.

5) I met up with FT's staff  in Spain and they are excellent and very caring too.

6) Finally two post-op patients I met there looked very good so soon after surgery. One was French and was only 2 days post-op, the other was American and was 8 days post-op.

The surgeons and staff are simply lovely people, very honest and caring to members of our community.

Hope this helps ..  :)

Hugs

Paula

PS. Forgot to mention but their results look natural and I want to get back some, if not all of my previous natural and feminine look before FFS in 2004.

PPS. All the post-op FT girls I spoke to were very happy with their results and loved the care and attention they received.

Quote from: katrina0411 on December 30, 2015, 11:24:09 AM
Dear Paula,

I am still in the process of choosing an FFS surgeon. I can't choose between Dr. Bart vs Facial Team. If it's ok to ask, what made you choose them? I think both surgeons are impressive.
  •  

Paula1

This coming Saturday, I shall be away for a couple of weeks to simply chill out and get away from the four walls and computers .. LOL  ...  ;D

So forgive me if I cannot answer any questions while I am away but look forward to chatting to you when I return.

Happy New Year girls and I trust that all your dreams come true.

Hugs

Paula
  •  

Paula1

Hi again Katrina,

Keep remembering things.

All three surgeons are relatively young and fit with loads of experience having carried out over 800 FFS procedures, I gather.
  •  

Paula1

Happy New Year's Eve everyone ...  :)

I had a lovely reply ( Post #31 ) from Dana in my thread here:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,200643.msg1794871.html#msg1794871

that has made my day.

After my FFS in 2004, my late brother virtually disowned me after sending him a photograph. A friend of mine thinks she knows why because prior to the surgery he was fine with me and we socialised a lot, even going to Holland in 1996 with some of his work colleagues.

She feels that it's because my face was so drastically altered in such a negative way.

Anyway I am so looking forward to this coming April, getting more nervous by the day but also incredibly excited ...  :)
  •