Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

ID'ed as a guy and...

Started by rite_of_inversion, March 09, 2011, 02:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rite_of_inversion

Last night, at past 1 am, by a possibly intoxicated redneck-looking guy hitting me up for gas money...and, it hadn't occurred to me the potential for violence before.
Really, just was enjoying being very gender-ambiguous, getting called "sir" on occasion...but I never realized, hmm, people could react really badly, couldn't they? :o
  •  

kyril

Yeah...it's not a game. There's a lot more to being seen as a guy than just being called "sir" every now and then.

Just as the ladies, when they start to present, are exposing themselves to a greatly increased risk of rape, sexual assault, and harassment, FTMs and passing FTAs are exposing ourselves to a greatly increased risk of non-sexual violence.

The good news is that if you don't intend to physically transition, you can probably get away with defending yourself without legal consequences (a cis guy or legally-male FTM who defends himself in a fight runs a fairly high chance of being arrested and charged himself, but women are generally treated as victims).

The bad news is that if you don't physically transition, you're likely going to be at a fairly severe disadvantage in the self-defense department.

The worse news is that if they find out what's under your clothes, you get the two-for-one deal: physical assault as a man followed up with rape as a woman.

•  

ativan

'Boys Don't Cry', (1999) Hillary Swank
  •  

rite_of_inversion

Hmm...I sense a concealed-carry permit in my future...
  •  

Padma

I realise any "concealed weapon" jokes would be in poor taste, so I won't go there ;).
Womandrogyne™
  •  

rite_of_inversion

QuoteI realise any "concealed weapon" jokes would be in poor taste, so I won't go there

...That's a .9 mil semiauto in my pocket, but I am still very happy to see you... ;D
  •  

Padma

Womandrogyne™
  •  

rite_of_inversion

truthfully? not yet-not yet licensed, and my current revolver makes my pants fall down, so I'd need something not 70 years old and a bit lighter...
  •  

Padma

That was meant to be a "packer" pun - if the heat you're currently packin' makes your pants fall down, I bet you get a lot of attention :).
Womandrogyne™
  •  

rite_of_inversion

Quoteif the heat you're currently packin' makes your pants fall down, I bet you get a lot of attention :).
*wiggles eyebrows suggestively, and grins, but says nothing*
  •