Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Recommendations of Trans Books for Trans People

Started by Tristyn, December 12, 2015, 10:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grrl1nside

I have read a number of books, but one of the best is an inexpensive book for kids between 9 to about 12 in age called George by Alex Gino. Any mtf wanting a bit of a jog to their memory of a lost childhood could read this. If you want kids to have access to transgender themes and maybe understand some of us a little better then this would be near or at the top of my list.

•  

Batrachiarch

I've been reading Janet Mock's Redefining Realness, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far but it's definitely written for a cis audience. Periodically she takes time to step out of her story to explain things. It's still a heartwarming and thoroughly empowering story, I feel. She's also written a second book, Surpassing Certainty, but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

My therapist has also recommended Whipping Girl, and A Safe Girl to Love, the latter being a collection of short stories. Again, I haven't gotten to these yet. I'd be interested to hear from someone who has.

I'd like recommendations for books about late transitions. I'm 28, which isn't terribly old, but I feel like most of the stories I hear are about transitions during teenage or middle-aged years.

While I'm asking, I'd like recommendations for books about overcoming internalized transphobia. I feel like my biggest obstacle right now is myself.
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Batrachiarch on August 31, 2018, 06:48:36 PM
I've been reading Janet Mock's Redefining Realness, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far but it's definitely written for a cis audience. Periodically she takes time to step out of her story to explain things. It's still a heartwarming and thoroughly empowering story, I feel. She's also written a second book, Surpassing Certainty, but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

My therapist has also recommended Whipping Girl, and A Safe Girl to Love, the latter being a collection of short stories. Again, I haven't gotten to these yet. I'd be interested to hear from someone who has.

I'd like recommendations for books about late transitions. I'm 28, which isn't terribly old, but I feel like most of the stories I hear are about transitions during teenage or middle-aged years.

While I'm asking, I'd like recommendations for books about overcoming internalized transphobia. I feel like my biggest obstacle right now is myself.

I am not sure if you have read this one.

She's Not There
A Life in Two Genders 
By Jennifer Finney Boylan

It was a good read and she talks about being in her early to mid twenties (I think.) :laugh:

Internalised transphobia can be very complicated and I would suggest finding someone who you trust to talk about it with. For myself it came back to self acceptance and self love. I had to learn to love myself but before I could do that I had to accept that I was Transsexual. That in itself took a lot of time and hard work but once I was able to do that I was also able to be more accepting of others.

Everyone deals with these things differently sometimes seeing other trans people reminds us of our own flaws and vulnerability. Its different for everyone. You can get past it if you want to, it may just take some time.

Hope you enjoy the book if you read it
Take care
Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •