Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

When Stealth Doesn't Work Anymore

Started by allisonsteph, December 29, 2015, 07:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allisonsteph

I encountered something this week that never occurred to me when I began my transition.

About a year after I began my transition I packed up and moved clear across the country to a town where I knew only one other person. By that point I passed on a consistent basis; and although it was not intentional, this allowed me to be totally stealth. I didn't run the risk of running into a casual acquaintance or a former coworker and having to go through the social awkwardness that comes with situations like that.

I recently have become friends with one of my neighbors. We have a lot in common and are both recovering addicts. As we've gotten closer I began to realize that my purposely vague back story was starting to unravel. There were too may gaps to explain how I got to be where I am today. I started to feel like I was lying by omission, and honesty is a keystone of recovery. Yesterday with great trepidation I came out to her. With acid churning in my stomach, fearing what might happen, I let it all out. I was pleasantly surprised at her reaction. My heart was pounding in my ears, so I didn't catch everything she said, but she was very supportive.

After asking a couple of completely appropriate questions (I honestly don't remember what they were) she looked me up and down and said "B*tch, you have bigger boobs than I do". We both laughed and I was relieved that she still accepted me. If the relationship progresses further I have gone in with complete honesty.

So, that's another one off the checklist... coming out to someone post transition. I feel as though an enormous weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

abd789

Its comforting to hear positive stories like this, thank you for sharing ;)
  •  

Ms Grace

I really get you on the "lying by omission" thing. I haven't come out at my new workplace, some people I'm sure have worked it out but are too respectful to say anything, while others regard me as natal female. At a recent social event some of them were talking about how lousy their school years were and I really felt like chiming in with "well I went to an all boys school, that really sucked!"...
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

stephaniec

•