Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

WATCH: Caitlyn Jenner Confronts, Prays with Anti-LGBT Pastor in Houston

Started by traci_k, December 21, 2015, 06:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traci_k

WATCH: Caitlyn Jenner Confronts, Prays with Anti-LGBT Pastor in Houston

http://www.advocate.com/caitlyn-jenner/2015/12/20/watch-caitlyn-jenner-prays-anti-lgbt-pastor-houston

The Advocate.com
By Dawn Ennis
December 20 2015 5:25 PM EST Updated December 21 2015 5:38 AM EST

This last weekend before Christmas, a Texas-sized controversy closed out the second season of major production of E!'s I Am Cait, as Caitlyn Jenner traveled to Houston, and returned home with a sack full of criticism from allies and enemies alike.

It comes just a few days after Jenner posted an expertly-crafted heartfelt apology on her blog about missteps, for which she said she was "truly sorry."

But buried beneath the usual sensational headlines and social media slams, was word that that Jenner struck a blow for the transgender community, in calling out a fellow conservative for his "highly offensive" remarks against all trans people. And in addition, her most ardent supporters joined some of those who might typically be expected to wave their fingers at the transgender reality series star. They paused, according to news reports and social media, and joined together in a moment of prayer.

While yes, she may make some stumbles in advocating Transgender Issues, personally I love most of what Caitlyn is doing. In addition to her celebrity, she's also helping to give voice and recognition to other Transgender advocates as Jenny Boylan and Kate Bornstein. And going to the Second Baptist Church to try to talk with the pastor, without the cameras rolling because it wasn't a publicity stunt, was in my book, an interesting move, especially in light of the defeat of HERO. I don't expect her to be perfect. None of us are, but she's out there working for all us.
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

Deborah

I think any criticism of Caitlyn is in this case misplaced.  What she did was genuine and a good thing.  Maybe she ignited a spark of enlightenment in a few of those she spoke with.  In any case, it will be harder for them to preach that we are evil when they have to place that tag on a familiar face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Tysilio

Good for her. Change comes only when people with opposing viewpoints are able to communicate.

But it is so sad that we can't keep from tearing each other down -- especially when we do it in public.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

suzifrommd

I'm not a great fan of Jennifer Boylan, but I really liked the blog post that was referred in this article. I agree with her that speaking to a preacher spreading hate was worthwhile work. Maybe our community should be doing more of this.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •