Main Menu

Why America’s Top LGBT Group Is Losing An Argument Over Bathrooms

Started by stephaniec, December 23, 2015, 02:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Why America's Top LGBT Group Is Losing An Argument Over Bathrooms

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/hrc-bathroom-strategy#.sr4L0qQ8E1

BuzzFeed News/Dominic Holden BuzzFeed News Reporter

"In late October, Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin explained why his group was spending an unprecedented $600,000 to uphold an ordinance in Houston that banned discrimination. It was critical, he said, for the largest LGBT organization in the country to represent the interests of its 1.5 million members and supporters."
  •  

suzifrommd

Wow, great article Stephanie.

I agree 100%

We need to make our case that allowing trans people to use the correct bathroom is good for everyone. Somehow HRC, and other groups are reluctant to make it. It's complicated. People need to understand that it can't depend on how well we "pass", nor how far along we are in our transition. People need to understand that we simply can't use the wrong bathroom. It's dangerous. People need to understand who we are and why we do what we do. If people don't understand all that, we WILL lose. That's a certainty.

Not surprised HRC doesn't understand that. They're primarily a LGB organization, only recently embracing the T and now playing catch-up.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Asche

Quote from: suzifrommd on December 23, 2015, 04:38:44 PM
Not surprised HRC doesn't understand that. They're primarily a LGB organization, only recently embracing the T and now playing catch-up.
Based on some news stories I've read about HRC, they're primarily a (middle-class) white male G organization.  Do they do any specifically L or B advocacy, either?
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •