Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Songs About Gender Dysphoria?

Started by autumn08, January 06, 2016, 05:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimberley Beauregard

"She" by Wolf Alice. The video especially.

- Kim
  •  

KarlMars

Macho man by the Village People

Dude looks like a Lady by Aerosmith

SheaEllen

While the enter album "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" by Against Me! is one of great personal meaning and broader cultural significance, the title track really hits home for me and touches on many of the dysphoric feelings and situations I have experienced (and still do) throughout my own transition. I find this album highly relatable. Here is a live version of one of my favorite songs from it, "True Trans Soul Rebel", with backing vocals by Miley Cryus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldWSMhu4CA4&index=1&list=RDldWSMhu4CA4

•  

steyraug96

I'll probably get banned for this, but....
King Missile: "Detachable Penis." 

Of course, since I think a woman's shape is awesome, and have since I was ... 5 (?) - I thought it would be awesome if I could retract all the nasty stuff hanging out of me, and get that nice, smooth front.
So the song speaks to me...   Although it IS weird.
I could also see it talking to FTMs for similar reasons, and the end makes more sense in that vein... 

-Dianna
  •  

Jacqueline

Quote from: Kimberley Beauregard on March 18, 2016, 06:49:39 PM
"She" by Wolf Alice. The video especially.

Was not familiar with that. I love it, thanks for adding that one.

1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Kimberley Beauregard

You're more than welcome. The video is the predecessor to "Blush" where the same actor takes over Ellie's role in the video (both songs were released on the same EP). They're an excellent band and well worth checking out.
- Kim
  •  

Tristyn

Are there any songs that are actually about GD at all?
  •  

FTMax

Quote from: King Phoenix on March 30, 2016, 12:29:58 PM
Are there any songs that are actually about GD at all?

The majority of Against Me!'s album Transgender Dysphoria Blues. For sure.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Orielle

It's an oldie, mid-90s?, but this always felt pretty on point to me, way way before I'd ever admitted anything to myself, I strongly resonated with the first line:

"Being a boy's like sucking on a lemon"

;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xlJnipdpSc&feature=youtu.be

x
  •  

Felix

Quote from: steyraug96 on March 29, 2016, 02:34:40 PM
I'll probably get banned for this, but....
King Missile: "Detachable Penis." 

Of course, since I think a woman's shape is awesome, and have since I was ... 5 (?) - I thought it would be awesome if I could retract all the nasty stuff hanging out of me, and get that nice, smooth front.
So the song speaks to me...   Although it IS weird.
I could also see it talking to FTMs for similar reasons, and the end makes more sense in that vein... 

-Dianna
This song definitely always spoke to me. I was in my early teens when I first heard it on the radio, and it wasn't exactly a shining beacon guiding me forward, but it did make me feel better. I was raised so fundamentalist and usually in such small towns that anything implying that bodies could even be talked about was a big deal.

I hate to say it but my first thought upon reading this question is "Sex Changes" by Amanda Palmer. I like her music but that song hurt my feelings.

For me personally, working through my gender stuff was helped by a bazillion bands in the 80s when a lot of popular straight musicians were flamboyant and in the 90s when a lot of popular straight musicians were fighting against cultural norms. Of course a lot of "straight" people were gay but we didn't talk about that back then.

I honestly can't think of an important song that specifically talks about gender stuff off the top of my head, other than brief mentions by Lou Reed or by punk rockers trying to shock or demonstrate street cred.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Wild-Eyed

"Lady Godiva's Operation" and "Candy Says" by the Velvet Underground are both explicitly about MtF gender dysphoria. The first one is quite brutal, so you'd have to be in a very good place to listen to it. "Candy Says" is about Candy Darling.

Myself, "My Body is a Cage" by Arcade Fire is kind of anthemic.
  •  

Orielle

Quote from: Wild-Eyed on April 25, 2016, 08:02:02 PM
Myself, "My Body is a Cage" by Arcade Fire is kind of anthemic.

The Peter Gabriel cover is the one that I love...though I thought I loved it because I was unhappy with my boy body being in a sorry state health-wise. Turn out I may have been a little off the mark... ;)
  •  

WarGrowlmon1990

Against Me has multiple songs about dysphoria in their album Transgender Dysphoria Blues.

•  

WolfNightV4X1

•  

Blackwaters427

Quote from: Sebby Michelango on January 07, 2016, 12:17:37 PM
That song isn't about gender dysphoria. It's about a man who was born with a face at the back of his head including the 'normal' face. I don't know if this is a fictional story or not, but that's a birth defect and he couldn't take it. Therefor he committed suicide. So many of the songs you share in this thread isn't original about gender dysphoria.

You're absolutely right. That's about Edward Mordrake, an English nobleman with a secondary face located on the back of his head. He committed suicide in the mid-20's.
Begin drifting, defy the laws of gravity
Stare at the sun, challenging all reality
The glass door to my soul is shattering
The bridges to my past are collapsing
I feel new energy, This is my quickening
Transcending to a new dimension

Fire From the Gods - "End Transmission"

•  

Daisy Jane

Quote from: FTMax on March 30, 2016, 01:26:10 PM
The majority of Against Me!'s album Transgender Dysphoria Blues. For sure.

Laura Jane Grace said that a number of Against Me songs prior to coming out were about GD. Specifically she mentioned the songs "Disco Before the Breakdown", "Tonight We're Going to Give It 35%", "Ocean".

She also said the most of the songs on the album Searching For a Former Clarity were about GD aside from the songs that are overtly political.

"Unsubstantiated Rumors Are Good Enough For Me (To Base My Life Upon)" Sounds like it could be about GD, but it might be about a break up like many of the other songs on "As The Eternal Cowboy."

•