Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Hi all

Started by LauraJ, November 16, 2015, 02:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycool86

quick question was there a set number of sessions with your gender therapist  that were required before you could start taking hormones? Im just asking because im meeting with my therapist for the first time wed and I just want to know what to expect.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

•  

Laura_7

Quote from: crazycool86 on January 04, 2016, 10:59:49 AM
quick question was there a set number of sessions with your gender therapist  that were required before you could start taking hormones? Im just asking because im meeting with my therapist for the first time wed and I just want to know what to expect.

you might ask them:
-how they see their role
-how many tg clients they had
-how long usually until letters

*hugs*
  •  

Claire_Sydney

Hi CrazyCool,

I had pretty much made decisions about my future when I went to the psychiatrist, but still wanted to make sure I understood every single consequence.  I asked them up front what their policy was on sessions needed for a letter.  They told me they required a minimum of two visits.  The second session ran out of time and ended abruptly before we got around to discussing letters - maybe a coincidence, but I did feel a little exploited.  I booked a third visit, was a bit more assertive and got the letters with no problems.  I have since spoken to other psychiatrists who would happily provide a letter after a single session.  I don't plan to see the psychiatrist regularly, but will be having periodic sessions with a counsellor.

I resolved that since I had to do the sessions anyway (and they are hugely expensive), I wanted to get the most value I could - and to be honest, getting independent expert opinions on such a life-changing event seemed sensible.  I resolved to be open and honest about everything, even if I felt ashamed or guilty discussing it.  I was unlikely to be dissuaded, but was willing to hear and discuss any objections or opinions against medical transition.  You shouldn't expect the therapist to give you any extrinsic validation for your decision, but they can tell you if they are concerned that there might be some other psychiatric contra-indications.

However, I would say the healthcare professional that has been the most value in my transition has been my endocrinologist.  The consultation was 1/4 of the price of the psychiatrist, and I felt normal, dignified and human upon leaving.  Further, they also helped set realistic expectations for the transition results, timeline and process.

Hope that helps.  Good luck, and let us know how you go.

Claire.

•  

Ms Grace

Hi CrazyCool, you've posted your question in the Australian section and it's my understanding that you are from the United States, yes? While there may be some similarities in medical protocols etc, you should probably ask in the main section to get a more specific response for your circumstances.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

crazycool86

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 04, 2016, 04:07:16 PM
Hi CrazyCool, you've posted your question in the Australian section and it's my understanding that you are from the United States, yes? While there may be some similarities in medical protocols etc, you should probably ask in the main section to get a more specific response for your circumstances.
sorry about that

•