Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Coming out to my elderly parents this Sunday

Started by deanna7506, January 01, 2016, 12:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanna7506

I'm a 50 year old MTF that is married, for 20 years, and has suffered gender identity dsyphoria for approximately 40 years.  Like most, I started trying on my mother's clothes at an early age.  I can't remember all the details, however, I recall a conversation with my parents about the "disturbance" of my mother's clothes. A piece of coincidence, is that before my birth, everybody thought I was going to be their daughter.  About a year ago I had them re-tell me the story and what name they had chosen.  Thus, I was a surprise when I was a boy.  At age 11, I had gynecomastia, which was a blessing and a curse.  Fast forward, as my GID got worse each year, my wife, became upset that I didn't tell her before our marriage.  (For anyone reading this who is not married yet, I HIGHLY recommend you tell your significant other before you wed.)  She feels my parents have always known, thus, during a period in which my wife and I almost divorced, I came out to my mom and several of my wife's family members about my crossdressing.  To my knowledge my mom probably told my dad. They never have brought it up again.  They are in their late 70's.  We are pretty close.  Last night/early this morning I felt the need to go this Sunday,  to see them to tell them in person about my decision to begin transition.  Needless to say I'm hoping for the right words and the best response from them, however, I'm aware of the other side of the coin.  At least I'll let them know before hand how much I love them and appreciated all that they have done for me and my family.   Thanks for reading.

D
  •  

Laura_7

Here are a few resources that could help you:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,197523.msg1756901.html#msg1756901

Additionally some people make a comparison with a twin... they will be like their male/female twin, with still the same sense of humour...

and some people come out in a letter, and talk about it later...
so they can sum up a few thoughts...

many *hugs*
  •  

deanna7506

Well, I traveled and visited my parents on Sunday.  They were anxious to know what I had to tell them. Before I started I left a card for them to find later saying how much I love them.  I started off telling the how much I loved them, was appreciative of all that they have done for my family and I, and regardless of how they respond to what I was about to tell them I would still love them. My plan A failed when my dad asked a question when I started with my past. i switched to plan B and just told them my plan to transition. they asked some questions and said they were supportive.  After 24 hours, my mom called and inquired if I told them as a cry for help to stop or just letting them know. Then, it was how it will destroy everything, especially my family.  She also asked what I think God wanted. Will see what tomorrow brings.

D
  •  

Ms Grace

Good luck - my folks, in their mid 70s also initially said they were supportive and then got weird about it. Usually the reaction is a bit delayed because it is such a shock and it takes time for it to sink in. My mother was quite worried about a lot of things but did actually come around fairly quickly. My father took well over a year to be begrudgingly "OK" with my transition. I should point out though that I told them about four days before I intended on switching to full time transition so they didn't have time to try and talk me out of it. I'm not sure what your timeline is but the sooner they can meet you as their daughter the sooner they can stop making up imaginary scenarios about what you will be like.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

deanna7506

Thanks.  It is appeciatived. At least I wasn't disowned. All in time like you said.
  •  

deanna7506

The other day my spouse called my brother's wife and told them I was transitioning My sister -in-law then called my parents to try and talk about itt, and failed.  My spouse has now told most of her family too. One of her sisters is getting married soon and allegedly told her I wanted to be a bridesmaid. Bottom line, everybody in my immediate family knows. To ease my parents I said on the bright side everybody knows now.
  •