Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Trans, Genderqueer, and Genderfluid Cosplayers On Finding Their Safe Space In Co

Started by Willowicious, December 19, 2015, 02:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willowicious

Trans, Genderqueer, and Genderfluid Cosplayers On Finding Their Safe Space In Conventions

Alenka Figa
The Mary Sue
Thursday, March 12th 2015 at 8:00 pm

http://www.themarysue.com/trans-genderqueer-and-genderfluid-cosplayers-on-finding-safe-spaces-in-conventions/

"Geek spaces have always felt precious to me. Places like comic book shops and conventions are often where I feel most comfortable, thus that's where I fear sexism and homophobia the most. What is worse than a violation of your safe space, the place where you don't feel ridiculous for talking about the things you love?"

•  

Yazoo

Cosplay is a large part of my life, and about the same time as I started cosplaying is when I began to discover that transgender people exist and realize that I was one. None of the environments before were anything like cons, even the very small first one I attended. I didn't even know about binders, and through a crossplay panel is how I learned about them. I wasn't wearing one at my first con, but I still got addressed as the character I was cosplaying and male pronouns were used and I just felt so at peace and happy, glad that even with my poor tries at first costume people could still recognize who I was cosplaying.

I did acquire a binder before cosplaying next (this was in an area where cosplay was very prevalent, so there were small gatherings in costume every other weekend) and I wore it with my partial cosplay out in public on my way to the event. Normally I blend in with the background, but in San Francisco area it seemed safe enough to appear somewhat out of the ordinary. On these excursions I would sometimes be asked by strangers for directions, and I had a few who saw me as a guy with my new found binder and I was like 'huh, that felt right and kind of amazing'.

Generally conventions have been very welcoming places for me, and I have made some awesome friends through going to those. I appreciate that it is common to address a cosplayer by their character's name and pronouns, so most of the time that avoids getting misgendered if you are cosplaying from the gender that matches your identity. It still happens when they will bypass who you are cosplaying and just address you with what gender they think you are. When it does happen its a downer, but its still less frequent when out in general public.

I am still very self-conscious about how bulgy my chest is even when bound, but I don't let that stop me from cosplaying characters that I love and relate to.

•  

Willowicious

Same here; I cosplay and crossplay have been a huge part of self-acceptance, and also helping me counter GD and aid in transitioning :) I quite often use cosplay as a reason for practicing my makeup and passing skills. At cons I quite often cosplay gender-ambiguous characters like Grell from Black Butler and Chihiro from Dangan Ronpa, and am going to do my first official 'cosplay' (rather than crossplay XD) of Ariel from The Little Mermaid later. Doing it in a Disney Princess group with really-accepting people has also helped a great deal with my GD ^_^

And great cosplays btw @Yazoo :D

•  

Yazoo

Thank you ^^

And I agree, having an accepting and fun group of friends makes the whole experience much better. I really hope your Ariel cosplay will make you and others happy and you have a great time. Post some pictures when you do (:
  •