Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Relationship and GCS qualms

Started by starting_anew, February 19, 2016, 12:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starting_anew

My bf and I have been together close to 5 months now, and we're starting to talk more seriously about moving in together and even marriage/starting a family eventually. 

We met while I was still pre-HRT and he identifies as exclusively straight.  From the start, he told me he would support my decisions completely, even including when I would start HRT.  He's told me time and time again he would be okay with whether or not I would eventually get GCS, and I would consistently tell him I'm on the fence (which I really was).

The more I'm into my transition, the more I'm leaning toward getting GCS.  I have a few qualms, however.  The first is that he's confessed to me that although he has exclusively dated cis women before me, he's always liked the idea of a 'feminine penis.'  Having said that, he's always also said he would love me equally with a penis or a vagina.  I worry, despite him acknowledging and trying to mitigate my insecurities, that he would somehow stop finding me attractive because of my change in genitalia.  What if a part of him is drawn to me for having a 'feminine penis' that I then exchange for a vagina with debatable semblance to a cis vagina (I understand neo-vaginas look fairly good, but still with variation)?

My other worry is that I've heard from partners of trans women on >-bleeped-< that the GCS recovery process is an arduous and taxing one on partners, and that sometimes the lack of pleasure that women experience at the start takes its toll on these partners.  I worry that my GCS recovery would begin putting a strain on my partner's attraction toward me. 

Can anyone who's undergone GCS while being with a partner comment on experiences with this? 

I should add that my partner met me during a really, really intense and heavy time in my life, and he has indeed proven his loyalty and commitment to me through a very hellish time in which my mom had just experienced a stroke and I was dealing with a bunch of other crises.  I just care about this relationship so much at this point - we love each other so much, share an intimacy I've never experienced before, and have unbelievable bouts of laughter together - that I worry the stakes are too high to compromise this even a little bit.

SRS: September 2017
Partial FFS: February 2019
  •  

Jenna Marie

I'm married to someone who thought I was a man (because I thought that, too) , so although she is bisexual, there was still a significant bait and switch going on. Much like your guy, her orientation included my target gender, but she was used to the penis...

Anyway, it's generally a reassuring story, if that helps. :) Yes, the recovery process was no fun, and we both were pretty stressed out and miserable for the first week or so. But that's not unusual for major surgery, even when the genitalia aren't involved. Once I was more or less up and about it got easier, and so I do literally mean the first week to ten days were tough. We did have to wait for sex for a few weeks, but that wasn't too hard. She says that she never had any real problem differentiating between "surgical site" [not sexy at all] and "functional vulva" [good for sexytimes] once everything healed up, and that by a few months later she'd mostly forgotten the bad bits - pun intended. These days she occasionally notes that my parts are prettier than hers, and otherwise has no problem enjoying them.

It seems as though you have to believe your guy when he says he's fine with you doing this, if only because second-guessing him is probably more harmful to the relationship than surgery. As for the actual physical healing part of it, if you're really worried you could try to keep from showing him too much gory surgical aftercare, but that part is fairly brief.

(2 years after my GRS, my wife had an ugly abscess on her breast that needed surgery. I helped her change bandages etc. and went through some of what she did with me, including the lack of sex until she healed up, and I also still find her sexy. ;)  The lesson being that marriage sometimes does literally involve taking care of someone when their body misbehaves, and there's no guarantee for you *or* him that neither of you will ever end up needing surgery. At least this one you can prepare for, and you'll be filled with happiness afterward.)
  •  

starting_anew

Thanks Jenna :).  This was very helpful.  It's good to know that the really terrible parts of recovery don't go on for months and months, as I had thought.  That actually puts things in perspective for me.

In terms of the whole "being attracted to female parts" thing, it might be that him and I need to talk about this a little more in detail to sort where each of us are at. 

•  

Jenna Marie

I'm really glad it helped!

No, definitely not months and months, at least when there's no complications. Things looked pretty icky and messy down there for 3-4 weeks, but by 3 months a doctor pronounced me fully healed (and at 4 months some ER doctors and nurses investigating a tummy bug - talk about icky - had no clue). In terms of physical capability outside of sex, I was able to do basically everything I could before (save for a restriction on lifting over 10 lbs for the first 2 months) within the first couple weeks, although I tired easily. Honestly, that fatigue was the worst of it for me; I was exhausted every day for like six months. But I felt that way years ago when I was just teaching high school, too...

Those people who said it was much worse were no doubt telling the truth for them, but don't forget that people (and particularly partners with lingering resentment or trauma) can sometimes perceive things as worse than they are because of all the underlying issues. My wife herself knows some partners who are both bitter and damaged, and while they have cause, unhealthy relationships are not good models for those of us in healthy ones, you know?
  •  

starting_anew

Quote from: Jenna Marie on February 19, 2016, 07:31:29 PM
Those people who said it was much worse were no doubt telling the truth for them, but don't forget that people (and particularly partners with lingering resentment or trauma) can sometimes perceive things as worse than they are because of all the underlying issues. My wife herself knows some partners who are both bitter and damaged, and while they have cause, unhealthy relationships are not good models for those of us in healthy ones, you know?

Yes, I think this is really important!  Experiences of trauma do really colour how people experience different events, and this makes me think I should (a) take people's accounts with a grain of salt, and (b) make sure I'm completely over the "hump" I've been dealing with for the past number of months before I think about major life decisions any more seriously. 

Quote from: Jenna Marie on February 19, 2016, 07:31:29 PMat 4 months some ER doctors and nurses investigating a tummy bug - talk about icky - had no clue

Ah, this.  I'm very practical with some things, almost to a fault.  I keep thinking that one day I will probably need to either access mainstream medical care, or even live in a residential care setting when I'm much older (lots of people do!), and I would definitely want to be stealth in a setting with doctors and nurses.  As much as I'm a proud trans woman, and would never hide my history from friends or partners, I don't think I'd be too crazy about health care providers knowing my past.

•  

Jenna Marie

That's also a very good point about making sure *you're* recovered from the trauma (and my sympathies on that, too). You probably are solid in this decision, but it's best to wait both until you're sure and until you're emotionally ready to take on another challenge. Because surgery *is* emotionally stressful as well as physical; you're wise to consider that.

I also think you're smart there. There are times when healthcare providers need the whole story, but there are also times when it's irrelevant and could add more stress or even more risk to an already unpleasant event. My personal experience has been that healthcare providers, particularly those who do have to routinely treat the genital areas of women, are aware that there is a HUGE variation in what they might find there. Sure, some GRS results are still outside of that variation, but a lot are not. I told them that I was in surgical menopause - absolutely true - and then had several different people over the course of that night assume that either I still had a uterus and ovaries before they read the chart, or that I had once had them. (I did not have an internal exam that time, but I did subsequently have a gynecologist who assumed I'd had a hysterectomy when she found no cervix.) And these were all people who had seen my results down there. ...on the other hand, I'd be happy never to have a night like that again, validation of my surgery or not!
  •