Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Passport update

Started by RomeoEcho, December 28, 2015, 02:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RomeoEcho

If I change my name or gender marker, am I required to update my (US) passport?

I really want to update my documents but my work really won't allow my passport to be updated right now. I'm wondering if it's possible to have a legal name change, and update some of my documents, like drivers license, but leave my passport under my old name and gender. It would likely be in the range of 1.5-2 years that I need to maintain my old identity on my passport.

I work in a country that would not allow me to stay if my documents change, and I won't be able to transfer any time soon.
  •  

FTMax

I'm assuming you're talking about having updated your driver's license initially. There is no legal requirement to update all of your documents, and many people maintain mixed documents for a variety of reasons. As long as your passport isn't going to expire before the time you want to update it, I don't see any issues.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

iKate

I haven't updated my US passport yet. I am waiting for them to release the new design.

The other passport I have will never be updated. I just let it expire. It won't reflect my correct name and gender anyway and I don't like traveling with inaccurate documents.
  •  

shoko

So it's totally okay to just update legal name change and gender (California), but leave passport and DL unchanged for now?  I do travel a lot and hope it won't interfere, especially with leaving the country for surgery!
  •  

DriftingCrow

If you're not going to use the passport, no issues.  If you're going to use the passport, then I would see an issue. 
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: shoko on January 02, 2016, 03:55:21 PM
So it's totally okay to just update legal name change and gender (California), but leave passport and DL unchanged for now?  I do travel a lot and hope it won't interfere, especially with leaving the country for surgery!

You'd need to update your driver's license.  Most driver's licenses need to updated of any changes of address, name, gender, etc. within thirty (30) days of the change. 
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

lisarenee

I haven't updated my passport either. It expires in October.
  •