News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Two trans children in the same family

Started by susanlogan1203, October 23, 2015, 06:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wednesday

Oh, I like this topic so much.

@Mavis: You can also research cases of XY inviduals born with Cloacal Exstrophy who were assigned female at birth for convenience reasons (they were born without gonads), raised as females, and later in life transitioned towards a male gender identity. Pretty similar to Reimer case. There is a study led in Hawaii that showed in a group children half of them transitioned later in life.

Those ideas about "gender identity" being a social construct are just adorable. Thats what usually happens when you base your conclusions on "intuitively proper" correlations, don't test your hypothesis, don't pay attention to evidence falsing your assesments, and ultimately want your theories match and support your political/phylosophical points of view.

Too sad sooner or later reality often slaps (very loudly) in the face of people who act and theoritizes this way.

Good god, postmodernism is doing too much damage to mankind  :(

Quote from: Mavisnon fixable result on the brain when the child is detached from a parent at a young age

Aw Freud, it's soooo 1900's... good god again. Mavis, don't trust in anybodys fashion sense who is making this kind of assessments  :D
"Witches were a bit like cats" - Terry Pratchett
  •  

Asche

Quote from: Wednesday on January 13, 2016, 03:48:37 AM
Those ideas about "gender identity" being a social construct are just adorable. Thats what usually happens when you base your conclusions on "intuitively proper" correlations, don't test your hypothesis, don't pay attention to evidence falsing your assesments, and ultimately want your theories match and support your political/phylosophical points of view.
It's also what happens when you take subtle concepts and use the language without understanding what they're actually about.

I don't think anyone who actually understands what social constructs are would claim that "gender identity is a social construct."  For one thing, gender identity is an individual thing and social constructs are concepts that people in a society share -- the "everybody knows" stuff.  (For example, languages are social constructs.)

What gets called a social construct is gender -- the stuff that "everybody knows" about "what men are" and "what women are."  We as individuals don't even have to believe that all that stuff is true; society is set up based on it and those assumptions get broadcast all over the place 24/7.  Everybody else is going to treat us as if it were true.  And the brainwashing starts practically in utero.

On the other hand, anyone who has had more than one child and paid attention to what they are actually like has noticed that children have from birth distinct personalities, which may or may not work well with what society expects children of their assigned gender to be like.  That was certainly my experience.  I never thought of myself as a girl, but I knew that I simply could not be what boys were expected to be, no matter how hard I tried.

My own theory (and, yes, it's a theory) is that we create our gender identity from the collision between that inborn personality or "nature" and society's ideas of gender.  From what I can see, most people are either born with a nature that is compatible with what their assigned gender is supposed to be or else can mold themselves enough into what they're expected to be that it isn't too much of a problem.  Those of us who can't -- well, that's why we're here.

I'm not surprised that being trans runs in families.  Personality traits tend to run in families, too.  So it's no surprise that some families have more people with personality traits that result in them being trans than other families.

Of course, it's also the case that if one member of the family is known to be trans, people in the family are going to be more aware of the possibility of someone being trans.  Like: "you know, Billy's a lot like his uncle Jack -- oops, I mean Aunt Janice.  I wonder...."
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Wednesday

Quote from: WikipediaGender identity and sexuality/sexual orientation

Gender identity is not a stable, fixed trait - rather, it is socially constructed and may vary over time for an individual

EDIT: Note I used quotes in my phrase when referring to gender identity. Anyway what I was meaning was exactly that, gender identity being regarded as a purely social built thing, socially constructed, completely malleable, etc. I don't care that much about semantics (honestly find it boring) but as far as I know the term could serve the purpose.

Anyway...

Quote from: AscheAnd the brainwashing starts practically in utero.

Problem about that brainwashing is that seems to not work. We can assume that we're here because we're somehow flawed and thats why the thing didn't went as expected. But by looking at forced reassignation cases it really looks like that the conditioning thing wouldn't usually work.

Quote from: Aschethat children have from birth distinct personalities, which may or may not work well with what society expects children of their assigned gender to be like.

And here is another point. Usually society expects men to be men, not transwomen. Nonpassing transwomen vs. effeminate man? I think the last had less trouble. Why going from the gender-role-nonconforming to the trans thing?

Why is better fitting a transgender woman than an effeminate boy? Could sound easy for those who can totally pass and go "deep stealth" but for those who can't?

Anyway here is the assumption that certain "traits" are just there, no matter what.

Quote from: AscheThose of us who can't -- well, that's why we're here.

And that's the great deal. Many of those who "just don't fit" would be simply nonconforming people, outside the binary. Problem comes when they identify at the opposite, ironically, something that society tells them they should not do.

How can society can be telling effeminate men "to be a woman" even in transphobic societies where a man can't be by no means a woman... can we say is this a truly conditioning and not just effeminate men observing and mimicking and identifyng with the most similar peers (women)?
"Witches were a bit like cats" - Terry Pratchett
  •