Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Lesbian ejected from ladies' restroom calls for wider gender discrimination prot

Started by katia, October 12, 2007, 12:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katia

NBC: Lesbian ejected from ladies' restroom calls for wider gender discrimination protections

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/NBC_Lesbian_wont_stand_for_gender_1011.html
By Nick Langewis and David Edwards
10/11/2007

'Imagine going to the bathroom in a restaurant, when suddenly a bouncer comes in and tries to kick you out," opens anchor Meredith Vieira.

Such is the story of 28-year-old Khadijah Farmer, who recently lodged a lawsuit against New York City restaurant Caliente Cab Company over an incident that took place during this year's gay pride parade.'

•  

Lori

That is an odd spin. A GG being accused of being TS. I'd sue their butts off, if this isnt a clear cut case of gender discrimination, I don't know what would be. Obviously she was judged on LOOKS alone. I hope she wins enough to close their doors.
"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Lori on October 12, 2007, 07:53:01 AM
That is an odd spin. A GG being accused of being TS. I'd sue their butts off, if this isnt a clear cut case of gender discrimination, I don't know what would be. Obviously she was judged on LOOKS alone. I hope she wins enough to close their doors.
As the links LIT posted above show, this is not an isolated insident.  Things like this have been happening ever since the first butch lesbian cut her hair.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Lori

Quote from: Lisbeth on October 12, 2007, 09:26:59 AM
Quote from: Lori on October 12, 2007, 07:53:01 AM
As the links LIT posted above show, this is not an isolated insident.  Things like this have been happening ever since the first butch lesbian cut her hair.

Well this should be sent to the HRC so they can see that even LESBIANS need gender protection..not just the T's.
"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

•  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Lori on October 12, 2007, 10:18:40 AM
Well this should be sent to the HRC so they can see that even LESBIANS need gender protection..not just the T's.
I could point out that lesbians had to go through the same things that we are now.  Originally the strategy was to portray gay people as conservative tie, button down collar kind of people.  There was the attitude, "Gays are ok, but I don't know about those lesbians.  Let's not deal with that whole issue."  There are still some places where that is the case.  And there are some who say, "Some lesbians are ok, but not butch dykes."  Lesbians had to do alot of protesting and politicing to change G to GL, and there are still hard feelings over it.  That's why in some communities, lesbians have become our allies.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

•  

Lori

Well the main damage right now is being done by John Aravosis. As long as the gay community refers to us as "men who cut off our dicks" and doesnt want us a part of Enda...we will have to continue our struggle. The butch lesbians should be listening to what he says as well. If you are not a straight laced normal looking conservative gay...you are wrong.

In the end though...Bush will veto enda anyhow....so does it really matter?

•  

demanorio

QuoteSuch is the story of 28-year-old Khadijah Farmer, who recently lodged a lawsuit against New York City restaurant Caliente Cab Company over an incident that took place during this year's gay pride parade

it's wrong in and of itself, but this happened during, of all things, a gay pride event?  now that's SERIOUSLY messed up.
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Lori on October 12, 2007, 11:13:30 AM
In the end though...Bush will veto enda anyhow....so does it really matter?

Maybe if the House or whatever passes it, it'll make it easier for others to vote for it too next time when it counts? Maybe when the members see the world didn't end when they voted YES, others will feel safer voting yes too when it comes up again?

Plus I want Bush to be on record for vetoing it.

~Kate~
  •  

Lisbeth

I want to throw a couple of URLs in here for people's reference:

Lesbophobia

Lesbian Identity and the Politics of Butch-Femme Roles

Lesbian Identity and the Politics of Butch Femme: an Annotated Bibliography

National Center for Lesbian Rights:
"The National Center for Lesbian Rights, Equality California, and the Transgender Law Center joined the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the Equality Federation, the National Center for Transgender Equality, PFLAG, the Stonewall Democrats, and more than 150 other organizations in announcing the launch of a united campaign to win passage of a fully inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), H.R. 2015."
"The recent revisions to the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) have left us with a bill that no competent attorney representing the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community would ever support."

NOW and Lesbian Rights
--Julia Serano

•