Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Need help

Started by Searching Human, March 04, 2016, 06:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searching Human

So recently I've felt really pathetic. I feel like I need to talk to a therapist or whatever. Ever since I was a small kid I've always wondered how it feels to be a female and recently I've felt bad about my appearance as a male. I don't look manly at all in the first place so I've tried weightlifting but after nearly 2 years I've gained very few pounds. Part of me wants to continue but another part of me wants to give up and embrace my somewhat feminine body. I just don't know how to go about talking to anyone about this. Who/what type of person can I seek out to talk about this? Should I look for specific types of therapists? It's something I really feel like I need to talk about to someone.

Also I'm wondering how long the process to get something like hormones takes. I know I would have to see someone for this and they'll decide whether it's something I need or not. I'm just curious about how lengthy it can be.  I'm honestly not worried about the future in terms of cosmetic surgery and whatnot. I've been single my whole life and I plan to stay like this. What I'm studying for also makes plenty of money so it most likely wont ever be an issue.
  •  

2fish

Getting on HRT varies. It can take 3 months to a year. Depends on you your therapist/money or insurance

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

http://www.gender158.com (A Trans-Masculine Resource Website)
  •  

Laura_7

•  

Searching Human

Okay thanks. The video is really helpful. I'm considering on visiting a therapist but in person. I'm just going to have to find a way to tell my parents though.
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: Searching Human on March 04, 2016, 06:59:56 PM
Okay thanks. The video is really helpful. I'm considering on visiting a therapist but in person. I'm just going to have to find a way to tell my parents though.

This might help:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,197523.msg1756901.html#msg1756901

*hugs*
  •  

Dena

A gender therapist would be the best person to explore this with and they can put you on the path of HRT if it turns out thats whats right for you. The world of gender is far more complex than what is published in the popular press. I was were it all started as I was a transsexual. I went from male to female at a time when that was about the only option. Today, we have non binary which consist of many things. What non binary means is people don't fall into the class of male or female but instead fall somewhere in between. The are transgender and may require changes to their life in order to feel comfortable with themselves. I don't know were you fall and it's up to you to decide that. I am willing to help you explore it for now but I am not a therapist so you should still locate one in order to gain a better understanding of yourself. I assume you are pretty new to the concept of gender so I am going to provide two links you might find useful. The first is our Wiki where you can learn many of the gender identities that are transgender. The second link is "the transition channel" which include the link that Laura put up. It is more designed to cover the transsexual end of the spectrum but it may help you rule in or out transsexualism. Feel free to post to this thread or PM me with questions.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Searching Human

Quote from: Dena on March 04, 2016, 07:06:22 PM
A gender therapist would be the best person to explore this with and they can put you on the path of HRT if it turns out thats whats right for you. The world of gender is far more complex than what is published in the popular press. I was were it all started as I was a transsexual. I went from male to female at a time when that was about the only option. Today, we have non binary which consist of many things. What non binary means is people don't fall into the class of male or female but instead fall somewhere in between. The are transgender and may require changes to their life in order to feel comfortable with themselves. I don't know were you fall and it's up to you to decide that. I am willing to help you explore it for now but I am not a therapist so you should still locate one in order to gain a better understanding of yourself. I assume you are pretty new to the concept of gender so I am going to provide two links you might find useful. The first is our Wiki where you can learn many of the gender identities that are transgender. The second link is "the transition channel" which include the link that Laura put up. It is more designed to cover the transsexual end of the spectrum but it may help you rule in or out transsexualism. Feel free to post to this thread or PM me with questions.

Okay I'm not sure what to set an appointment with. I'm searching under my insurance but I don't know what to look for. Is it a psychologist? I'm not sure I've been to a counselor once for something else. I found some psychologists that have transgender issues as their specialization. Are these the people you go into a room and talk to them and they give you advice and help? I just want to make sure I'm looking for the correct thing before calling and setting up an appointment.

Is this the same as a therapist? I see a couple of options. Psychologists, Counselors, and an option for family/marriage therapists. I don't see any other option that says therapist.
  •  

Dena

It would be a Psychologist with transgender specialization. With a psychologist you are not there to understand why you are the way you are or change the way you are, instead you are there to find a way to live with what you are. In an appointment you would explain what you feel and then there might be questions. The questions may be things you haven't thought about and your answers will help you understand your feelings. In the end, you will have to make the decision what is best for you and the more information you have, the better your decision will be. The doctor make sure there aren't other problems you need to deal with and help you with your decision but in the end, you will make the decision.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Searching Human

Thanks. I'm most likely going to set up an appointment within the next 3-4 days. Hopefully then can help with making a decision with this and help with talking to my parents about it. Honestly though the thought of this makes me happy.
  •