Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transgender woman dismissed from job after telling employer about her transition

Started by stephaniec, March 13, 2016, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Transgender woman dismissed from job after telling employer about her transition

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/77827062/Transgender-woman-dismissed-from-job-after-telling-employer-about-her-transition

Stuff/Last updated 20:51, March 13 2016

"An Auckland transgender woman says she lost her job after she announced she would be transitioning to a woman.

Dakota Hemmingson had worked at the salon known as Barkers Groom Room for several weeks before she announced her transition.

Now, the 23-year-old has taken her case to the Employment Relations Authority (ERA), claiming she was pressured to end her employment because she was no longer a match for the job."
  •  

suzifrommd

Go get 'em sister! After enough lawsuits and complaints, the transphobes will start to get the point.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Ms Grace

She was there for a whole several weeks!

Guess it shows though, do you tell the employer before at the interview and not get the job or do you wait long enough to prove yourself in the job before outing yourself. Not that it should make a difference but at least by waiting it does give you a leg to stand on.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Arch

When I was an hourly employee in the eighties and nineties, I was told that many U.S. companies had a clause indicating that they could fire an individual for ANY reason before a probationary period had elapsed. I don't know whether certain reasons were considered illegal, but I should think that they would be. But the point is that the companies apparently didn't have to specify a reason.

If my job included such a probation, I would not divulge until after I had completed it.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •