News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Toys R Us to scrap ‘boy’ and ‘girl’ labels on toys

Started by stephaniec, November 23, 2015, 06:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Toys R Us to scrap 'boy' and 'girl' labels on toys

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/11/23/toys-r-us-to-scrap-boy-and-girl-labels-on-toys/

Pink News/Duffy    11/23/2015

"Toys R Us will no longer label its toys as "for boys" and "for girls" online – becoming the latest retailer to make the gender-inclusive move.

The children's toys retailer has made the decision to scrap the labels on its UK website, meaning dolls and princess costumes will no longer be advertised as 'girl toys', while toy cars and action figures won't be labelled 'boy toys'. "

•  

mac1

?
  •  

Searching Human

That's cool. It's good to see something like this happen. hopefully kids won't be as scared to play with a variety of toys.
  •  

SmileyRiley

HRT started Jan. 9th, 2016. 💅🏽 Instagram: @rileythemua Passion: Hair and Makeup. Pisces.

•  

heatherhensley96

Great! So much damage to a child's self-esteem because of all these labels and the child not fitting expectations.
  •  

DiamondBladee

I think Target just did this too?  I think it's spreading.  After all, I played with Polly Pockets just as often as I played with Legos when I was small.
~ Ana Maria
  •  

KarlMars

If you weren't allowed to as a child does it make you want to go out and buy the toy of your gender identity that your family wouldn't let you?

arice

Good. Maybe this will make it easier for me to buy toys for my daughter... currently, I hit the girl toy section and my brain runs away... then I wander aimlessly and helplessly for hours without seeing anything but pink.
For my son, I just get him things I would have loved at his age.
I had both "boy" and "girl" toys as a kid but "girl" things always confused me...

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

•  

KarlMars

Quote from: arice on March 12, 2016, 10:29:54 PM
Good. Maybe this will make it easier for me to buy toys for my daughter... currently, I hit the girl toy section and my brain runs away... then I wander aimlessly and helplessly for hours without seeing anything but pink.
For my son, I just get him things I would have loved at his age.
I had both "boy" and "girl" toys as a kid but "girl" things always confused me...

Did you ask your kids what kind of things they're interested in? Do your children conform to traditional gender standards? I'm just curious.

arice

Quote from: alienbodybuilder on March 13, 2016, 07:28:22 AM
Did you ask your kids what kind of things they're interested in? Do your children conform to traditional gender standards? I'm just curious.
Of course I ask them. My daughter is turning 4 and is very traditionally girly when it comes to clothes but less so with toys... the big difficulty with her is that she will request all kinds of "girl" toys and then not play with them. What she actually plays with are cars, dinosaurs and lego that her brother has... but she is upset if thats what we get her... The big hurdle for me is that I find the girl section at TRU overwhelming and full of toys I never wanted to play with so see little point to...
My son is 6. He knows what he likes and if he asks for something, he plays with it. I also have an easier time with him because more of the boy toys look fun to me.

•  

KarlMars

Quote from: arice on March 13, 2016, 07:39:51 AM
Of course I ask them. My daughter is turning 4 and is very traditionally girly when it comes to clothes but less so with toys... the big difficulty with her is that she will request all kinds of "girl" toys and then not play with them. What she actually plays with are cars, dinosaurs and lego that her brother has... but she is upset if thats what we get her... The big hurdle for me is that I find the girl section at TRU overwhelming and full of toys I never wanted to play with so see little point to...
My son is 6. He knows what he likes and if he asks for something, he plays with it. I also have an easier time with him because more of the boy toys look fun to me.

Thanks. I just wondered.