Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Sbs insight tuesday 830pm love transformed.

Started by Lilian J, March 06, 2016, 05:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilian J

What is it like to be the loved one of someone who comes out as transgender?

By SBS Insight

Airdate: Tuesday, March 8, 2016 - 20:30

Channel: SBS

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/insight/tvepisode/love-transformed-0
  •  

Rainbow Bay

Thanks Jamie!

Did you see Laverne Cox and 'The T-Word' on SBS last week?

Bay xxx
  •  

Lilian J

Thanks Bay,  will check that one out.

This was hard watching due to the stories of families torn apart but the positive takeaway is that they mostly seem to be in a better place now. I am going to get my wife to watch and will hopefully be positive.
The lack of support for SO's seems to be a common theme.

Here are the links for anyone who wants to watch.

Laverne Cox - The T -word
http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/623947331859

Love transformed
http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/629302851567/Insight-Ep5-Love-Transformed
  •  

Dana60

Watched this last night with my wife - who is definitely struggling with me transitioning. I thought it balanced the good and bad stories quite well and overall presented both sides well. It generated a bit of discussion afterwards, it will be interesting to see if anything more comes from it.

As a sidenote, my wife has been seeing Dr Elizabeth Riley who was on the show. She has been very helpful for her.

Dana
  •  

Cindy

I was asked to be on the show with my wife Rebecca. The producer Amanda was totally lovely and very understanding. She told me that she wanted to present a difficult situation in a positive light so that people could see and understand that a loving partnership can overcome anything.

I did say that I didn't think love was the core of acceptance but understanding. In any successful relationship you learn to and have to appreciate your partner no matter how they may change.

In my case my wife went from a lovely, fit, healthy happy woman to (essentially) a quadriplegic. I never hesitated in staying with and supporting her. When I transitioned she was equally as understanding that our lives may change but that our partnership just got stronger.

I suggested a change in the title of the series from 'Love overcomes all' to 'Facing adversity as partners overcomes all'.

Dana, feel free to share this if you like with your partner if you wish and I am happy to talk to her about our journey.

Oh and yes Elizabeth is a wonderful woman, her work with families with trans children is marvellous.
  •  

judithlynn

Hi;

Did anyone see the program on SBS Last week - Going up Trans. It was also excellent (although very US focussed).
Judith Lynn
:-*
Hugs

•  

Lilian J

Quote from: judithlynn on March 11, 2016, 02:12:49 AM
Hi;

Did anyone see the program on SBS Last week - Going up Trans. It was also excellent (although very US focussed).
Judith Lynn

Found it
http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/627713091534/growing-up-trans
9 days left on this one.

Add to playlist :)

Thanks muchly
  •  

AnonyMs

I somehow couldn't watch Love Transformed on their website, but I just found it on YouTube.

•  

Cindy

•  

AnonyMs

•  

Cindy

OK, you know where I am if you need to talk.
  •  

AnonyMs

I just finished watching it, and while it was interesting I've no idea how I feel about it. Maybe I need to get out more.

My story is quite different to all theirs, but I guess no one in my situation would go on TV. Perhaps it makes me feel a bit isolated, I don't know.
  •  

rosinstraya

It was all very close to home. I watched it with my partner and we had a bit of a talk and a cry afterwards. Some situations did seem very difficult and I had the feeling some people had given rather more in the relationship. But there was no sugar coating or voyeurism - which was a good thing.
[table][tr][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]
  •  

Dana60

Thanks Cindy, I'll talk to my wife and see if she would like to talk.
  •