News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

GRS at Boston Medical Center

Started by michelle666, March 28, 2016, 03:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Quote from: scrumptioussoda on December 02, 2017, 11:23:38 PM
Hello, I am in the Boston area and meeting wtih Dr. Oates soon as my T levels after 5 years of hormones are too high and I would like an orchi.

Briezy and/or Devlyn, do you happen to know how much you paid/what Dr. Oates estimated the cost of your orchi to be?

Thank you!

They're going to run it so you pay every penny of your deductible. Here is my orchi thread start to finish. If you have no patience, the numbers are on page 13. My recovery was not textbook perfect, you will see that in the thread.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,224375.0.html

Hugs, Devlyn

•  

scrumptioussoda

Do you know what the total cost would be for someone whose insurance wouldn't cover it?
  •  

Devlyn

It's mandatory for insurance companies to cover it in Massachusetts, that's why I said it will cost whatever your deductible is. Your total cost is going to be your maximum deductible.

Hugs, Devlyn

•  

scrumptioussoda

What insurance did you have? I have BCBS. Does this law only apply to orchi's or all trans surgery? Thank you for this information I really appreciate it.
  •  

Devlyn

It covers orchiectomy and GRS, I'm not sure about BA, FFS, or other surgeries. I use BCBS too, and I go through Fenway Health. I can't say enough good things about them.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Dee Bellwether

hi, i'm considering Dr. Oates, but does anyone know if there are results available to be seen online yet?

dying to know. if i can't get satisfactory information about him and his practice i'm going with another surgeon.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dee Bellwether on April 05, 2018, 09:17:42 AM
hi, i'm considering Dr. Oates, but does anyone know if there are results available to be seen online yet?

dying to know. if i can't get satisfactory information about him and his practice i'm going with another surgeon.

I'm curious, will you be posting photos of your surgery afterwards?

I'm not very shy, but I have not posted any unclothed pictures of my crotch online. I posted pics in a bikini so the bruising and swelling could be seen. Good luck choosing a surgeon. If I need further work, Dr Oates will be my choice.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

TiffanyMA

So I also live here in the Boston area and have seen everyone talking about Dr. Oats.  Is he the only Dr. in the Boston area who will perform GRS? 

I am considering Dr. Rumer in Ardmore, PA. and it looks like I could get scheduled in September of this year. Dr Rumer will work with BCBS to file the papers and get the surgery approved for me.  The GRS will be covered by BCBS and the amount I pay should be even less since I had augmentation in January and most if not all of my deductables have been met.  I also have everyone on my team at the ready for an appeal should BCBS decline my request.

I have already had augmentation by Dr. Sadowski (she's great) and yes my BCBS covered the procedure even though it clearly stated they would not.  I have some small bills to pay from the surgery but almost all of it was covered.  BCBS said they would not cover this procedure and turned me down.  I had to appeal the decision and received the go ahead within a week.  It was tricky but they broke down and paid. 

I have been seen by Dr. Spiegel for FFS however he doesn't work with any insurance companies.  The reason is that most will not cover the procedure.  So he handed me an estimate of $84K that he wanted paid in full prior to the surgery.  Thanks Doc!  I will opt for FFS early next year in which BCBS will probably decline to pay and I will go through the appeal process again only to have them cover the cost, even though they say they won't (they just don't know it yet...LOL).

Note:
I live in Massachusetts but my BCBS come out of Pennsylvania so they play by different rules.
  •  

Devlyn

I only know of Dr Oates team here in Massachusetts. His waiting room has been packed with transwomen every time I was there.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Kendra

Hello TiffanyMA, welcome to Susan's!  This was your first post so I'll add information to help with navigation and site guidelines.

Things that you should read

When you get a chance, it would be great if you can introduce yourself in the Introductions Forum.

See you around!

Kendra

Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

SadieBlake

What Oates told me in my consultation with him in December of '16 was that he and Slama had observed multiple surgeries done by William Kuzon at umich and I honk also just one by Karen Boyle in Baltimore.

I'd think the BMC team is now at 60-70, maybe more completed procedures. I've not seen any documentation of their results.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Post-Operative Lady

Hello. I am a post-operative(14 years now)transgendered woman and I'd like to share the experience I had with Dr. Oates and Dr. Slama.
For a number of years, I'd been considering revision surgery to build up my labia;move them closer together; and remove a tiny amount of spongiosum from the mouth of my vaginal canal. The cost of doing so was prohibitive, so it didn't happen. When I found out MassHealth was covering transgender surgeries, I went to my primary care physician and asked how I could go about undergoing surgery covered by MassHealth. My physician at the Fenway Community Health Center immediately referred me to Dr. Robert Oates at the Boston Medical Center. My initial meeting with him took place in July of 2016.  He examined me; then, told me to get back to him in February of 2017. In February, I scheduled  another appointment and ended up seeing him again in April or May. After this second visit, Oates referred to Dr. Jaromir Slama. It took two months for him to see me because his "transgender coordinator" Supraja was out of the office. When my appointment was made, it was scheduled for the eight o'clock hour in the morning; that's before the hospital is even opened up.
During my interview and examination by Slama, I asked if I'd need to abstain from alcohol before my operation; he said he'd get back to me with a response. He didn't. This can be an issue for anyone planning to undergo any kind of surgery. After waiting for a response for a week; I called his office asking for a response and was told he'd left the country. So I called up Dr. Robert Oates' office with the same question and never got a response from him. Via e-mail and phone messages to his secretary, Erica Baptista(she did get back to me), I must have made five or so contact attempts; to no avail.
Now; I was given a surgery date in October of last year, but I had to cancel it since I wasn't given an answer to my question. I know what it's like to experience complications after these surgeries; orchiectomy in 2001 and full SRS in 2004. One other thing; there was a pre-surgery appointment that was set up for me right before my surgery date with someone named Karen. It was scheduled at least a week in advance for ten o'clock in the morning. Since I rely on public transit in the Greater Boston Area(I live in Marlborough), travelling into Boston can be timely and quite inconvenient at certain times. This ten o'clock appointment was convenient and well planned, but the day before I was called by one of Slama's secretaries and was told to come in in the eight o'clock hour, again. I simply couldn't do it on such short notice.
I was never told that MassHealth pays for these transgender surgeries out of state the entire time. I implore you to read the reviews of Dr. Robert Oates on physicians rating sites before considering him as your SRS surgeon. You will hear nice and not so nice reviews from his cisgendered fertility patients and his transgendered patients. Consider your options.

<Edited by moderator>
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Post-Operative Lady on June 11, 2018, 05:47:15 PM
... I implore you to read the reviews of Dr. Robeert Oates on physicians rating sites before considering him as your SRS surgeon. You will hear nice and not so nice reviews from cisgendered fertility patients and transgendered patients of his. Consider your options.

One of the nice reviews on Dr Oates was mine.  :)

I think everyone should leave a review on their surgeon, we can use a good database.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Devlyn

Oh, and welcome to Susan's Place,  Post-Operative Lady. I just noticed this is your first post.  Weymouth girl here. See you around the site!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Kendra

Hello Post-Operative Lady, welcome to Susan's.

Since this was your first post, I'll add site guidelines and information to help with navigation.

Things that you should read

When you get a chance it would be great if you introduce yourself in the Introductions Forum.

All the best,

Kendra
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

ryokohimura

I first want to apologize for reviving a dead thread. I've started teh process for getting my GRS at Boston Medical center in September and felt this would be the best place to share since it si an update. I also apologize for going silent the last two years. My time back in Massachusetts has been a rollercoaster.

First off: ERICA IS GONE!!!!! I started calling her the great wall of Erica as when I first tried getting my consult with Dr. Oates. I did this in September of 2018. I had all my letters ready by the end of the month, yet no one. got. back. to. me.... I called and left messages several times with no luck from September to December. Finally in December, the message and person were different and the office got back to me the next day! I had my consult scheduled for January.

I met with Dr. Oates and found him very personable. He is a Boston city doctor, but I didn't feel dismissed or treated ill in any way. He even met me in the waiting room which I have never had a doctor do. Ever. We discussed the process, what I had to do next as well as touching on "exactly" what I wanted. This is discussed with Dr. Slama, with whom I'm already scheduled for a consult with in July. Now I need to start the process of removing hair for surgery and lose about 20-30 lbs. Which is better than the 70 I was thinking I'd have to lose.

And apparently my estimate for a surgery date a year to a year and a half. While I don't have an exact date, you get this after meeting with Dr Slama, he did give me that estimate and it seemed very reasonable.
  •  

sfbarbie

I have my consult with Dr. Slama Monday. I can't remember where, but I posted somewhere about Dr. Oates and I think Erica too? I'm not sure what happened. She was great at first, but last fall in August, like you, radio silence, weeks passed, but I finally got my consult with Oates, and then in September with the Nurse (did you do this?) I find Dr. Oates great. I'm anxious to see how Dr. Slama is.
HRT 2/2012
Trach Shave 10/2013
Name Change 2/2014
BA 5/2014
FFS 5/2016
BA Revision 4/2017
  •  

Post-Operative Lady

I met with Dr. Slama. There was a lack of follow-up with him, too. My question involved preventing complications during and after surgery. He said he'd get back to me with an answer. Soon thereafter, he left the country and never gave me a response.
Good Luck
  •