Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Australian Passport question

Started by Serenation, March 22, 2016, 12:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenation

I have never had a passport. I'm going to get one as soon New birth Certificate Arrives, Victorian one, so no former names on it, and F.

So there are references to requiring name change certificates
QuoteWhat to bring to your interview

Application fee
Two identical colour ID photos less than six months old, with one signed by the guarantor
Your completed application form
Document that proves citizenship
Original ID documents
Original proof of name change if required

Do I just ignore any name change references and deny it ever happened if asked when applying for passport, or will that never come up?

I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

Cindy

I'd take it with you in case they ask as it will only cause a delay. I changed mine without changing my birth certificate and they were fine, totally respectful and put me at ease.

Oh I think you need a 100 point check so make sure you have enough documents for 100 points. They are listed in the application form.

And make sure all the signatures are inside the boxes, even a little outside and they ask for it to be re-done.
  •  

Serenation

Quote from: Cindy on March 22, 2016, 12:45:09 AM
I'd take it with you in case they ask as it will only cause a delay. I changed mine without changing my birth certificate and they were fine, totally respectful and put me at ease.

Oh I think you need a 100 point check so make sure you have enough documents for 100 points. They are listed in the application form.

And make sure all the signatures are inside the boxes, even a little outside and they ask for it to be re-done.

I just applied for birth certificate yesterday at justice centre here in Vic, and they said they had to take my name change birth certificate off me. She said she would ring the main BDM office to make sure and they confirmed they had to take it off me. So even if I was open to showing, I cannot since my proof of name change is gone.

The process seems confusing for post op. I'm starting to worry if I'll ever be able to update things that are still in my deadname (like my tax), as I no longer have proof of being that name.  edit: seems the ATO can cross reference BDM so that should be ok

•  

Cindy

OK don't panic, your change name certificate will probably be returned with your birth certificate. You will also need to for your bank account, medicare and ATO.

So, when it returns make half a dozen copies take them to the police station or JP and get them certified as true copies. Then you have plenty for future use!

I do this for all my important documents then if anything happens I have spares.

I also need it when I got a cheque in my dead name from the ATO and couldn't deposit it in my bank account as it was to a different name!

Bureaucracy!
  •  

Serenation

Quote from: Cindy on March 22, 2016, 01:05:50 AM
OK don't panic, your change name certificate will probably be returned with your birth certificate. You will also need to for your bank account, medicare and ATO.

So, when it returns make half a dozen copies take them to the police station or JP and get them certified as true copies. Then you have plenty for future use!

I do this for all my important documents then if anything happens I have spares.

I also need it when I got a cheque in my dead name from the ATO and couldn't deposit it in my bank account as it was to a different name!

Bureaucracy!

I think I changed my name on everything many many years ago the ATO was just one that slipped by since I wasn't working. I'll be able to finally change the gender marker with social security though. Thanks Cindy
  •  

Claire_Sydney

Quote from: Serenation on March 22, 2016, 12:14:57 AM
I have never had a passport. I'm going to get one as soon New birth Certificate Arrives, Victorian one, so no former names on it, and F.

Just a thought.

I have attended passport interviews at both the passport office and at two different AusPost branches.  I found the Australia Post staff easily confused and susceptible to making administrative mistakes.  Conversely, I found the passport office quite professional.

Where are you planning to go for the interview?  I'm sure your application will be processed either way, but I would suggest checking the work of an AusPost agent handling your passport application.

More importantly; do you have a holiday planned?  :)
  •  

Serenation

Hi Claire it would be at the post office. I think the passport office is in collins street in Melbourne (with the ATO and BDM). I am a country girl so I avoid the CBD like the plague.

Hopefully going to NZ. Would be my first time out out of Australia
  •  

Claire_Sydney

Awesome. Have a safe trip!

Where in Victoria are you from?
  •  

Serenation

Quote from: Claire_Sydney on March 27, 2016, 04:54:05 AM
Awesome. Have a safe trip!

Where in Victoria are you from?

Somewhere too tiny to mention, I spend about 30% of my time in Melbourne though
  •