Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Running for the State Legislature in the Deep South, U.S.

Started by TiffanyP, September 15, 2015, 03:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiffanyP

I am pretty set on running for a House of Representatives position in the state of Alabama. I am a democrat, and my district was formerly democrat until our representative left the position. The current republican in office has not had a challenger, so I am not sure if my district is still majority democrat or not. My district is gerrymandered to include half of a larger college campus as well a few some inner city neighborhoods.

I have already began working on campaign topics, as well as signing up for political training with activist groups. I have a degree in political science, but actual campaigns will of course require a lot more than that. I'm willing to dedicate everything I can to making this work though.

My concerns as a trans woman are of course plentiful. My main concern is the media attention. If I recall correctly there has only been two openly transgender legislators in The U.S. and that was in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Being in the Deep South, I feel like I am going to be in the spot light more than the issues I'm campaigning on. That worries me because while I can hold my democratic base, I'm going to need my message on issues to get out to garner more votes.

My second concern is hate. Slurs and such don't phase me, but the threat of physical violence does. There is an active klan chapter in my district, and they still carry out hate crimes. The most recent being in May of this year. I refuse to allow them to stop me, but I am worried that they will cause me to have to dedicate more resources to security rather than to my campaign.

What do you guys think?
  •  

Cindy

You're a brave woman and I admire you deeply.

Me.

I'd hire body guards and go for it. Hiding does nothing, being vocal and proud does something.

Be proud and be loud!
  •  

suzifrommd

Very few people are in the position you are to blaze a trail. I can't ask you to put your safety on the line for us, but if you do, it will be an indescribably important service. Every one of us that succeeds adds one more line to the story of transgender people in general and speaks far more than words toward our competence, intelligence, and pride.

I hope you go for it, girl!
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Cadence Jean

to make more better goodness

I have returned to recording on TransByDef!  Watch us at: https://www.youtube.com/TransByDef
  •  

Deborah

I live next door in Georgia so I understand perfectly what you are facing.

I'm wishing you the best of luck in this and hope you keep us updated as things move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

TiffanyP

Thank you all for the encouragement. I am looking at 2018 for the year I wish to run; So that leaves plenty of time for updates haha.
  •  

gennee

I wish you the best in your quest. Be sure to know the issues that you wish to present and have the information to back them up. Keep focused on them. I would get security most definitely.

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

BeverlyAnn

If you were running here in my district in GA, I would be glad to be a campaign worker.  If you do decide to run, let us know.  I can provide a few security tips.  Yes I'm two months late to the thread but I plead only rejoining three days ago.

Bev

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

warlockmaker

I admire any of us who have the courage to come out publicly. There are only a few of us who so boldly step forth and we need many more. There is limited knowledge about us and each of us that spreads the knowledge  will helps someone understand and also may give hope to some of us who are so miserable with the discrimination and intolerance.

I did come out publically and had myy family support yet the discrimination and criticism behind one back continues to affects me emotionally. I always remember that I was one such intolerant person and that it take time to spread the word and understand. Its taken all of us years to accept who we are – I'm prepared to explain to those who want to listen and hope that those who have a closed mind may reconsider their position with more and more information made available.

The Media can be a friend or foe, use them carefully. They want sensationalism and will quote phrases out of text to achieve this goal. I am In the process of deciding on which TV station and who will interview me and if I will do a documentary with a known director plus magazines. I have been on TV, magazines and interviews before when I was a leading male in my city but I know, from my family experiences, how quickly they turn on you. I have tried without success for editorial control and thus having difficulty to select a person to interview me – you have to trust them......

Finally, the fear of physical harm is real. In my city we have no guns and we are more peaceful than the USA but even here I now have a family bodyguard when out in public. I am going away to Thailand this Tuesday just to escape this constant pressure. I'm just so lucky to have the support of family and friends and I hope you find it also.  Be careful and I applaud you.....
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

Joelene9

My dad was born and raised in Fort Deposit, Alabama. He didn't talk anything about the Old South hate issues. He moved out after serving in WWII and so did his siblings to places on the west coast. Being a member of the SPLC, I do know about the hate groups there and in other places in the South. I did travel through the area many times recently. No different then the old neighborhoods I lived in California and Colorado as a child. You may get some pointers from the SPLC, they're only a few blocks from your State Capitol.
  Go girl!

Joelene
  •  

KayleeDenson

I'm originally from Alabama, currently in Mississippi. I know of that hate you speak about. Be cautious, be strong. I wish you well in your efforts.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

•  

SheaEllen

Any updates, TiffanyP? I am very curious if you chose to run, and, if so, how your campaign went. Big props for even considering it. I have much admiration for your activism.
  •  

Misty K

My advice to you is to go for it.  I am currently running for office myself in Utah and just forced a Democratic primary for the US Senate race.  I was terrified at first but after I got into it and started talking to people I was surprised by the level of love and support I got. 

It's a been one of the best experiences of my life and I have made many new friends in the process.

Don't be afraid and don't let naysayers discourage you.  Just do it.  You will find a lot more support for your run in your community than you might think.  Don't be afraid to ask for help from your friends and family; they will support you. 

Everything will work out fine. Trust me.
  •