Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Ghost in the Shell

Started by Tiamat, May 01, 2016, 10:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiamat

I finally saw this movie and I have to say... I was pleasantly surprised. The movie hit all the right notes. Enough action to keep me interested, but not so much that the film was a blood feast. And the story fascinated me. I guess I always liked Cyberpunk and Transhumanist fiction, largely because it deals a lot about the human condition and the meaning of sex and gender.

I was wondering if anyone else saw it and enjoyed it. Oh and fair warning the second film... was terrible :(
  •  

Kova V

•  

Tiamat

The film from 1995. I haven't watched the latest iterations of the series. (Arise or 2015), I'm still trying to complete the second season of Stand Alone Complex.
  •  

Michelle_P

I'm not an anime fan, but I find the original film and the Stand Alone Complex to be fascinating.  Heck, I daydreamed about living long enough for real-world tech to catch up so I could swap into a proper body for myself.  :)

There are a few bit of dialogue, particularly between Bateau and the Major, that hint at some interesting gender identity decisions in the past.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Tiamat

Quote from: Michelle_P on May 02, 2016, 12:38:26 AM
I'm not an anime fan, but I find the original film and the Stand Alone Complex to be fascinating.  Heck, I daydreamed about living long enough for real-world tech to catch up so I could swap into a proper body for myself.  :)

There are a few bit of dialogue, particularly between Bateau and the Major, that hint at some interesting gender identity decisions in the past.

Yeah, it has some scary bits too though. Like how someone could just change your memories, and that the fake memories are just as real as the real ones. So you can't remove them.

Given the chance I would get a new body.
  •  

Kylo

The Oshii GITS movie is one of my favorite animes. Didn't find the second done too bad, although I missed Kusanagi.

I'm somewhat intrigued about the live-action one apparently in the pipeline from Hollywood as well.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Kova V

Quote from: T.K.G.W. on May 02, 2016, 03:22:11 PM
The Oshii GITS movie is one of my favorite animes. Didn't find the second done too bad, although I missed Kusanagi.

I'm somewhat intrigued about the live-action one apparently in the pipeline from Hollywood as well.

The 1995 movie has been in my top 5 movies list since as long as I can remember. I've bought a VHS, and I've had to buy the dvd twice. The second movie is ok too, as far as the TV series go, the laughing man and the solid state society are ok, the individual 11 is too action-y IMHO. I haven't seen the latest reboot from 2015.

The 1995 movie's voice acting for the major could have been better but the story is really interesting. It really makes you think about the "self" and what makes up a person. It's really abstract and deep.

Also, I just really love cyberpunk as a genre.
  •  

SiobhánF

That was one of the first anime movies I ever watched. I still reminisce about it when I think of the future of mankind. I totally would swap into a new body, given the chance.
Be your own master, not the slave to illusion;
The lord of your own life, not the servant to falsities;
Only then will you realize your true potential and shake off the burdens of your fears and doubts.

•