Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Mountain person

Started by KarlMars, April 05, 2016, 06:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you choose to be a mountain person?

Part time- only on vacation
1 (9.1%)
Full time!
5 (45.5%)
Not at all
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

KarlMars

Quote from: schwarzwalderkirschtort on April 08, 2016, 06:00:34 PM
Erm, I live on a mountain and although my whole paternal family pretty much live around here, I'm pretty damn far from an inbred if that's your first thought of my kind...

I have no preconceived notions, but I have had some bad experiences in rural areas.

Felix

I grew up in the foothills of the appalachians and we went hiking 3 or 4 days a week and when the adults told us to "go play" we went to the woods mostly in the mountains. I've met plenty mountain people who seem like incest victims but their way of life looked super peaceful.

Half my relatives were that kind of hicks anyway, just pretending not to be. Like it didn't cross my mind until my late twenties that bathing in a metal bucket with cold water in the yard isn't normal. We were totally hill trash, and when we weren't we were swamp trash.

I walked away from all that because people in those cultures are mean to people who are different, but I miss it every day. I live in an ultra-liberal city where I'm respected as a person even when people know I'm trans or know I date guys or know I'm a single parent or know I recycle or know I don't go to church or whatever, but they aren't nice if I try to talk about rednecks back home as people worth talking to. Even all them that were cruel to me about how faggy I was or whatever are people with families and jobs and who are probably doing their best to be good humans. People up here let me be gay and trans and poor without penalties but they expect me to be judgy as hell along with them.

I miss the mountains. I've lived outside before and it's way easier than dealing with "modern" life and I'd go back to it in a heartbeat if I didn't have responsibilities. Especially up north where people are chill. The judgy stuff here sucks but it almost never leads to beatings or arrests or deaths.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

FreyasRedemption

Quote from: alienbodybuilder on April 09, 2016, 06:31:30 AM
Sounds beautiful.Is it cold much of the year?
The winter definitely is, whether the autumn and the early spring count depends on how one defines "cold".
Then again, there's the whole thing with global warming. The effects are clearly showing here, what with the snow coming three months later than usual and all that.
There is a better tomorrow.
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: FreyasRedemption on April 09, 2016, 08:41:47 AM
The winter definitely is, whether the autumn and the early spring count depends on how one defines "cold".
Then again, there's the whole thing with global warming. The effects are clearly showing here, what with the snow coming three months later than usual and all that.

There are people who are happy with that :) .

How is daylight, are the days during summer that much longer ?
And do people spend a lot of time in nature during summer ?
Someone said people take their vacation in summer and take off for the woods.

*hugs*
  •  

FreyasRedemption

Quote from: Laura_7 on April 09, 2016, 08:45:42 AM
There are people who are happy with that :) .

How is daylight, are the days during summer that much longer ?
And do people spend a lot of time in nature during summer ?
Someone said people take their vacation in summer and take off for the woods.

*hugs*
Well, people don't really have a reason to be happy about the delayed snowfall, least of all me. It's still cold, and since it's not cold enough for snow, it rains instead. A cold rain of water just above the freezing point that is by all means worse than any kind of snowfall. Without snow, everything is also much darker, in a time of the year that is bleak enough to make people depressed for no good reason. Also, the usual effects of winter on our nature still take place. That is, about 90% of all living things go to some form of hibernation. The rest struggle to feed themselves, die, or crawl inside houses to take shelter. I've seen about a dozen different spiders wander around my house during this winter alone.

Daylight at summer? The Finnish midsummer is famous for the "midnight sun", which is exactly what it sounds like!

Yeah, people here are all about moving to their summer cottages for at least a while during the summer. Most of those cottages are lake-or seaside. My family were never big fans of those, we have plenty of nature around us already, and as such we don't need one.
There is a better tomorrow.
  •  

KarlMars

Quote from: Felix on April 09, 2016, 07:14:06 AM
I grew up in the foothills of the appalachians and we went hiking 3 or 4 days a week and when the adults told us to "go play" we went to the woods mostly in the mountains. I've met plenty mountain people who seem like incest victims but their way of life looked super peaceful.

Half my relatives were that kind of hicks anyway, just pretending not to be. Like it didn't cross my mind until my late twenties that bathing in a metal bucket with cold water in the yard isn't normal. We were totally hill trash, and when we weren't we were swamp trash.

I walked away from all that because people in those cultures are mean to people who are different, but I miss it every day. I live in an ultra-liberal city where I'm respected as a person even when people know I'm trans or know I date guys or know I'm a single parent or know I recycle or know I don't go to church or whatever, but they aren't nice if I try to talk about rednecks back home as people worth talking to. Even all them that were cruel to me about how faggy I was or whatever are people with families and jobs and who are probably doing their best to be good humans. People up here let me be gay and trans and poor without penalties but they expect me to be judgy as hell along with them.

I miss the mountains. I've lived outside before and it's way easier than dealing with "modern" life and I'd go back to it in a heartbeat if I didn't have responsibilities. Especially up north where people are chill. The judgy stuff here sucks but it almost never leads to beatings or arrests or deaths.

I don't judge the way someone grew up. I judge how they act/treat towards me and others.

KarlMars

Quote from: FreyasRedemption on April 09, 2016, 02:30:08 PM
Well, people don't really have a reason to be happy about the delayed snowfall, least of all me. It's still cold, and since it's not cold enough for snow, it rains instead. A cold rain of water just above the freezing point that is by all means worse than any kind of snowfall. Without snow, everything is also much darker, in a time of the year that is bleak enough to make people depressed for no good reason. Also, the usual effects of winter on our nature still take place. That is, about 90% of all living things go to some form of hibernation. The rest struggle to feed themselves, die, or crawl inside houses to take shelter. I've seen about a dozen different spiders wander around my house during this winter alone.

Daylight at summer? The Finnish midsummer is famous for the "midnight sun", which is exactly what it sounds like!

Yeah, people here are all about moving to their summer cottages for at least a while during the summer. Most of those cottages are lake-or seaside. My family were never big fans of those, we have plenty of nature around us already, and as such we don't need one.

Those dark cold places look beautiful in pictures but I have a problem with depression and the lack of sunlight would get to me.

Laura_7

Quote from: alienbodybuilder on April 09, 2016, 06:05:32 PM
Those dark cold places look beautiful in pictures but I have a problem with depression and the lack of sunlight would get to me.

Well I asked because in places like finnland it depends on where you are ...
in the south its more moderate up north its like the sun shines almost all day long in summer ... only a few hours night ... people work in the garden at 10 PM ...

*hugs*
  •  

KarlMars

Quote from: Laura_7 on April 09, 2016, 06:08:55 PM
Well I asked because in places like finland it depends on where you are ...
in the south its more moderate up north its like the sun shines almost all day long in summer ... only a few hours night ... people work in the garden at 10 PM ...

*hugs*

Where are you from, Laura?

Laura_7

Quote from: alienbodybuilder on April 09, 2016, 06:11:49 PM
Where are you from, Laura?

Not from finnland ... i just talked to a few people ... and from what I heard it can go to extremes the farther up north people are ...

*hugs*
  •