Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

This school’s approach to trans acceptance is amazing

Started by traci_k, May 12, 2016, 07:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traci_k

This school's approach to trans acceptance is amazing

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/12/this-schools-approach-to-trans-acceptance-is-amazing/

Pink News
Graysen Hall
12th May 2016

This school's approach to trans equality puts North Carolina to shame.

With 19% of their student body identifying as transgender, Fishers High School in Indiana are doing all that they can to encourage equality and acceptance.

The school has a thriving LGBT club (Equality Alliance Club) and has two new single stall bathrooms specifically for transgender students.

Excellent response by the school system in Fishers Indiana, but I want to know how they came to the conclusion that 19% of the students identify as transgender. The article goes on that 3% identify as male and female and 10% are unsure of their sexuality and I would question the writer's knowledge because sexuality and gender identity are  two different things. But you gotta love the signs on the doors!
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: traci_k on May 12, 2016, 07:06:13 AM
Excellent response by the school system in Fishers Indiana, but I want to know how they came to the conclusion that 19% of the students identify as transgender. The article goes on that 3% identify as male and female and 10% are unsure of their sexuality and I would question the writer's knowledge because sexuality and gender identity are  two different things. But you gotta love the signs on the doors!

I agree that the article seems sloppy and inconsistent. I read it twice and still can't figure out what was so "amazing" about the school system's response.

Is the article implying that by allowing their Equality Alliance Club their free speech and free association rights, the school is doing something amazing?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •