Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

DOJ and ED ignore non-binary transgender students

Started by Newfie, May 13, 2016, 01:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newfie

I'm sure most of us have heard about the letter to the schools in regards to students' rights under Title IX (US). If not, here is the Dear Colleagues Letter and the policy suggestions:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/850996/download
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oese/oshs/emergingpractices.pdf

I just wanted to point out that they have completely ignored non-binary transgender students, painting the picture that those who are transgender and were designated male at birth will necessarily identify as a woman, and vice versa. It is disappointing, although perhaps to be expected, since the debate is so vitriolic already when perhaps the most easily understood transgender identities are being discussed.
  •  

cheryl reeves

This whole bathroom issue is a smoke screen designed too keep our focus off of real issues like Iran,Cuba,China and Hillary Clintons crimes that she has committed,worse the treasonous acts by our president. I'm always paying attention when these type of smokescreen come about.
  •  

Newfie

Nnn, I'd argue that if anything it's a tool devised by the Republicans to rile up their base after 8 years of obstructionism. But that's not really the point of this post.
  •  

Colleen M

Honestly, we're not going to change the world overnight with one step.  It's going to take time, it's going to be done in stages.  How many stages over how much time is a fair question, but progress is a good thing, and keeping in mind that we're not done yet is a good thing. 
When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •  

RobynD

Thanks for sharing that 2nd link, i had not read it yet. Although non-binary persons are not specifically mentioned, would it not be implied that having identified as such, they should choose the facility they feel most appropriate personally?

..Still it should be mentioned specifically, shouldn't it.

•  

Newfie

Quote from: Colleen M on May 13, 2016, 03:44:49 PM
It's going to take time, it's going to be done in stages.  How many stages over how much time is a fair question, but progress is a good thing, and keeping in mind that we're not done yet is a good thing. 

I agree, but I'm concerned that by simplifying the discussion to this extent, non-binary trans students might fall through the cracks. Who's to say that after this battle they're going to continue on to include all trans students? I feel like since this was a very one-sided assertion, this was also an opportunity to at least bring up the non-binary students.

But you're right, the discussion is is far from over and I shouldn't examine a gift horse's mouth TOO closely.
  •