Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Homeless Again

Started by SethrenWolf, July 11, 2016, 10:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethrenWolf

Not sure where to post this because it is transgender related but not the main point of subject so I apologize if I post it in the wrong place :(

I'm homeless again because the people who have me a place to live have decided they want to travel the country and get jobs as needed and have given me till August to find a new place to live....I was told this the beginning of this month only having a month to prepare v.v

I'm not only disabled, but I'm transgender in Montana. Not a very accepting or friendly place. As is when I came out, I've been bullied since. I'm FtM and have been asked if I've grown a penis or been teased when menstruating. My name gets laughed at (Seth) and now not many people will help me stay out of the streets.

I'm scared.

I've tried turning to my family but am turned away because I'm not religious and transgender :( I don't know what else to do but reach out here and hope I'll receive some kind of help. I need help spreading my fundme, and donations because I need to move what little I own into storage and find a place to stay and need gas money to pay for rides to and from places and possibly to pay for hotel stays until I find a place to live and a disabled friendly job v.v

Any suggestions that could also help?

•  

Colleen M

If you're disabled, have you applied for Social Security disability benefits?  I don't know Montana, but often a state will give all sorts of help if you're receiving SSI or even RSDI. 
When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •  

SethrenWolf

I have applied and the process isn't finished yet and will not be for several more months I've been told by SSI officials :(
  •  

Jacqueline

Quote from: SethrenWolf on July 11, 2016, 10:05:08 AM
Not sure where to post this because it is transgender related but not the main point of subject so I apologize if I post it in the wrong place :(

I'm homeless again because the people who have me a place to live have decided they want to travel the country and get jobs as needed and have given me till August to find a new place to live....I was told this the beginning of this month only having a month to prepare v.v

I'm not only disabled, but I'm transgender in Montana. Not a very accepting or friendly place. As is when I came out, I've been bullied since. I'm FtM and have been asked if I've grown a penis or been teased when menstruating. My name gets laughed at (Seth) and now not many people will help me stay out of the streets.

I'm scared.

I've tried turning to my family but am turned away because I'm not religious and transgender :( I don't know what else to do but reach out here and hope I'll receive some kind of help. I need help spreading my fundme, and donations because I need to move what little I own into storage and find a place to stay and need gas money to pay for rides to and from places and possibly to pay for hotel stays until I find a place to live and a disabled friendly job v.v

Any suggestions that could also help?

Hope you don't mind me calling you Seth. Welcome to the site. I am so sorry you are experiencing this. I am on the east coast and don't have info on your area, outside of a general google search. We have a large membership and hopefully someone has some good ideas for you.

I know your link was removed because we do not allow links to fund raising sites here. Sorry.  It is one of the rules listed among some links I want to share with you as a newly posting member. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment:

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in. I wish you luck.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

FTMax

Google 'Trans Housing Network'. You can submit an ad to them listing a little about yourself and what you're looking for. You can also search for others near you that may be looking for roommates or offering housing.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Lady Sarah

Goodwill normally hires the disabled. Be careful. Working may interfere with your chances of receiving disability benefits.

In the event you cannot find housing, I have no idea what your chances would be with finding a homeless shelter. I know. They suck.  Been there, done that. I heard there are some shelters for those in transition. If the worst happens, you might want to check for one in your area.

started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Colleen M

Quote from: Lady Sarah on July 11, 2016, 07:00:26 PM
Goodwill normally hires the disabled. Be careful. Working may interfere with your chances of receiving disability benefits.

Often, working is something people don't do.  Goodwill--at least the "normally hires the disabled" part--is what SSA calls a "sheltered work environment" rather than a "competitive work" situation.  Doing that work, with the understanding and expectations they offer, is different than working as a delivery driver for UPS.  So it's worth a shot. 

Having said that, earnings have a 1 for 1 deduction for SSI dollar benefits. 
When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •  

Dee Marshall

Are you sure about that, Colleen? I recall it being 1 for 2 for the disabled and that only after a small allowable amount. It's been a while since I had to look at it, admittedly.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Colleen M

Unfortunately Dee, I'm fairly sure.  I argue SSI and RSDI claims in front of judges for a living.  Admittedly, I spend 99% of my time on the medical decision-making and haven't so much as called a field office for anything like sorting out the PERC interview in about a year and a half, and I do tend to largely ignore the $20 exclusion because, well, it's only $20, and I'll also admit the first month eligibility math is just insane, but here's SSA math generally:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0502005090

And the law they're following, which is just as messy:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0502005090

In practice, if the SSI benefit amount is $733 and you get $200 a month from some other program, you'll probably get $533 in SSI for those months.  If someone is providing room and board, you'll lose a third of the monthly amount for that before we start worrying about anything else.       

Now, deeming other household income is just a flaming mess, and things like your spouse's income will have the first bit ignored, then there's an ugly formula (quarterback rating or 12 meter yacht kind of ugly) that looks a lot like some idiot vastly over-complicated a delayed 1 for 2 reduction until no benefits are payable.

Keep in mind all those reductions are SSI, not RSDI.  If you're getting disability insurance benefits based on your work history, you can have a part-time job, be married to a millionaire, and have a garage full of Ferraris.  But the bottom line is that for something that strictly speaking isn't a welfare program, SSI is sure treated a lot like a welfare program with a real "screw you" attitude from the policy makers.  It shows in things like figuring out benefit amounts.   

•