Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Looking for jobs

Started by redhot1, July 08, 2016, 07:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhot1

If you don't know already from my previous posts, I have autism spectrum disorder, professionally diagnosed in 1995, I was probably 3 back then. I have some social challenges but I can hope having a job will let me overcome that. Since I graduated high school 5 years ago I have only done few and far between other than be alone in my house all days all these years. I also have assistants/friends who take me to community outings (their service is mandated by the state of Pennsylvania) that are provided by a local group that provides services to people with higher-functioning autism disorders. They take a few hours from each my mornings, 5 times a week. It's bothering me a little since I feel like I have to be "kept in line" and I can't apply for work without their permission. The problem is I couldn't tell what they want or don't want from me.

The other issue is looking for actual work. I have no experience with it, no regular volunteer work to my name, a few brief (1-2 months) courses in subjects like MS Office, digital photo editing, and web design. The issue is that I forget what I learn in classes very easily and can't do it at all. So what if I just can't work a job because of that? I'm still optimistic about getting a job, I just feel lost right now in the moment. I did little anything productive at all, if anything at all, within the last months alone.

Interviews will be tough also, and I wish I could figure out a way to work on it without having to involve my community assistants. I think parents are too busy for this too.

Also, one thing I can't do at a job right now is heavy lifting, so that blows out retail work.
  •  

Dena

The most important thing is for you to find something you enjoy that you can make money at. If you enjoy it, you will find it easy to remember it. In my case, it was computer programming. I enjoyed it so much that I would have found a way to do it even if they didn't pay me for it. This could start out as a hobby and if you enjoy it, you might find work doing it. Some people started electronics, photography art or a number of other past times as a hobby and then made them into a profession. Hobbies are something we may not do well at first but the more you do it, the better you become at it. When you show you have the ability, I think the others will help you with the job.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

redhot1

As for computer programming, I have downloaded a software that will allow me to write programs, but I'm only a novice and it's slow and hard to move forward. I heard that it can be a very frustrating hobby and career also. And with electronics, I would like to discover it as a hobby and possible job, but I'm afraid I'll end up killing myself from playing with the electronics. I have fine motor dexterity challenges too.
  •  

Dena

Programming can drive a person up the wall. You have to be very stubborn and not give up easily. In addition you have to think logically and be comfortable with algebra. Higher math is sometime useful but not required. Some languages make it easy to learn the concepts of programming. Interpretive Basic is one. The problem is Basic is no longer used in the real world but once you get the concepts down, it's not hard to move onto another language. You might consider a community college class in programming where you will have somebody to assist you.

Electronics depending on how far you take it can involve a fair amount of advanced math. Electronic design uses calculus but repair and digital electronics is pretty much math free.

It's important that you be the judge of the amount of enjoyment you get from it. I have found few people who enjoy programming as much as I do and most of the programmers I have encountered just consider it a job. You can make just about any past time a hobby but it's a bit more complex making them pay you to do it.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Semira

Quote from: redhot1 on July 08, 2016, 07:32:38 PM
The other issue is looking for actual work. I have no experience with it, no regular volunteer work to my name, a few brief (1-2 months) courses in subjects like MS Office, digital photo editing, and web design. The issue is that I forget what I learn in classes very easily and can't do it at all. So what if I just can't work a job because of that? I'm still optimistic about getting a job, I just feel lost right now in the moment. I did little anything productive at all, if anything at all, within the last months alone.

Interviews will be tough also, and I wish I could figure out a way to work on it without having to involve my community assistants. I think parents are too busy for this too.

Also, one thing I can't do at a job right now is heavy lifting, so that blows out retail work.
Retail doesn't have to involve heavy lifting. I spent almost 10 years in retail and I never had to lift something super heavy (I often did so anyways much to the chagrin of my back, but this was entirely my choice). There were always people around to help lift something if it was too heavy. And if there was a medical reason for not being able to lift (a bad back for example) they were always willing to accommodate.

I would recommend a large grocery store. They have high turnover so positions open up quite frequently. There is a wide variety of work options available: bakeries, delis, meat, floral, janitorial, bagging groceries, stocking (lifting though), and more. You also don't need to have any experience when applying (they are used to hiring kids out of high school). And since a lot of the kids they will hire turn out to be lazy and don't show up for work, all you have to do is show up and put even a little effort into the job to be seen as a good employee.

One of the best employees I ever had working for me had a learning disability. He wasn't always the best worker, but he showed up for work every single day and always gave his best effort. That put him head and shoulders above most of the other workers. I wish I had 15 more of him when I still worked there.
  •  

redhot1

Thanks Dena, but I am starting out with Python as a starting computer language. Python is very novice-friendly and portable to all computers so why not?
  •