Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Kathy's GRS thread

Started by KathyLauren, February 15, 2019, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

Quote from: Robbyv213 on June 14, 2024, 05:35:02 PMI'm sorry to hear that you have a pain cycle every 26 days or so. I wonder if it would be too late for a second opinion with a better doctor.

The pain cycle has been getting better over the last few months.  I didn't feel much of anything the last time I was expecting to, and it was very mild the time before that.  So things are improving down there.  I assume that the issue was scar tissue, and that, as the scar tissue gets absorbed over time, the pain will continue to decrease.

I can't afford to pay for a revision, and my insurance would only cover it if it was medically necessary, which the doctors agree it isn't.  And I'd hate to have it all opened up again, which would add new scar tissue to the old.  At this point, I feel no need for revision.  If I'd been offered one three years ago, I'd have jumped at the opportunity, but it is no longer necessary.

I posted about it here because it is relevant to anyone contemplating upcoming GRS.  This is not by any stretch of the imagination minor surgery.  It is major, and there can be complications even when everything goes right.  Full recovery can take a lot longer than you expect.  These are important lessons that people should be aware of up front, and they come best from someone who has been through it.

The cycle was an interesting discovery.  I think it means that a woman's cycle is not driven entirely by the ovaries and uterus.  Those who don't have those organs but who are on estrogen can still have a cycle of roughly the same duration.  I made a thread about it last year, and got some interesting feedback.  Quite a few members replied with tales of similar cycles, either of mood/emotion or of physical manifestations.  So I am pretty sure it is a real thing.  I did see one study that was being initiated to investigate it, but it would be too early to see any results.  The thread on the subject, was, unfortunately, a casualty of the system crash.

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Robbyv213

@KathyLauren

Yes one must definitely weigh the risks vs potential reward. I'm not sure what a revision would have looked like for you, but most of what I've read and researched it's mainly for Minor issues in appearance and function.

I agreed it could very well have been the scar tissue causing that and unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do for scar tissue. Like you said at this point so many years afterwards there may be very little anyone can do, and if it's getting better def not worth it to try to correct or fix anything and potentially start the cycle of pain over again.

I have read that many introduce progesterone into the HRT to simulate have a the hormonal levels that go with having a menstrual cycle. Not that one wants to have cramps and other periods symptoms every month but in order to mimic what a period does hormonally for a woman's body and the hormones produced during a menstrual cycle. Which I feel (from all the articles I've read that it does help with the overall transition and feminizing affects on ones body), but I guess that's all hear say to an extent since there aren't many studies done on trans individuals with the specific focus of incorporating progesterone into ones HRT. Hell there aren't many studies on any trans individuals using hrt and the affects they have. Only studies of what those hormones do to genetically born woman at certain points of their life ( as in pre, during and post menopause etc)

I would def like to read that thread about having a monthly cycle while being on HRT after a certain amount of time to read the responses and everyone's personal experiences. I definitely want to learn and soak up as much information as I can about transitioning from all aspects.

Thank you again for posting and sharing your story and experiences. I'm glad your pain is dying down some and getting better. I wish you a happy and healthy pain free future.
  •  

LoriDee

Quote from: Robbyv213 on Yesterday at 02:23:42 PMI have read that many introduce progesterone into the HRT to simulate have a the hormonal levels that go with having a menstrual cycle. Not that one wants to have cramps and other periods symptoms every month but in order to mimic what a period does hormonally for a woman's body and the hormones produced during a menstrual cycle.

Hi Robby,
The addition of progesterone into HRT protocol is not to mimic a menstrual cycle. It is for breast development and provides other benefits, such as better sleep at night. Estradiol develops the infrastructure of the breast: ductwork connecting to the nipple and fat distribution. This causes the breasts to project outward. Progesterone builds the mammary glands (alveoli) that will eventually produce milk. This causes increased breast volume. The ovaries and adrenal glands control the release of each: 2 weeks of increased estradiol which then drops, and progesterone increases for the second half of the cycle.

I have a few studies that were conducted that I can send you. I won't post them here in Kathy's thread without her permission.

My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: KathyLauren

Robbyv213

@LoriDee I might not have worded my response correctly, but I also may not understand the female body and hormones as well as I thought. I know I have a tough time explaining and expressing what I'm trying to say or convey.

I have read some use progesterone in 3 week cycles to mimic hormone levels of women who have gone through puberty already and try to achieve what their bodies do in terms of the hormones they produce during the 28 day cycle. But when trying to express that I'm not sure if it came out all that well. As to if cycling progesterone like that to mimic a 28 day cycle vs just taking it consistently actually is beneficial or not I don't think I've come across many studies that showed one way or the other for trans women who use progesterone with their hrt. And again I feel I may be off or not quite expressing this in the way I'm thinking it. But I could be completely wrong on it as well lol

I'd love to read those studies you mentioned but yes I don't want to de rail this thread either.
  •