Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Post-op and transition complete (almost)

Started by Miss Clara, July 17, 2016, 08:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Clara

It's been 2 years since I began my transition to living an authentic life as the woman I know myself to be. A lot has happened since then; most of it good. My worst fears did not materialize. My wife did not leave me. She is my most devoted friend, companion, and, yes, lover. My two sons have accepted me as their 2nd mom, and I'm still hopeful that my daughter will do so too, eventually. She's had a hard time losing her dad. Three of my four sisters have been marvelous; the fourth, well, religion messed her brain. My past friendships are a mixed bag. I've lost some, but others have become even closer. For that, I'm very grateful. But even more wonderful is all the new friends that I've made since.

My lifetime struggle with gender dysphoria (the anxiety and distress of being born a male-bodied woman) is over. I don't consider the remaining complaints about my body GD.  It's been over 8 months since my sex change operation. I am now a female in both body and mind. The peace and satisfaction I feel at having corrected my mind/body incompatibility has been epic.

I would be remiss if I didn't highlight the wondrous effect of hormone therapy. The hostile male body chemistry that once was, has been replaced with one amenable to feminine physical and mental development. The physical transformation brought about by hormone therapy in combination with facial feminization surgery has erased most of the maleness that I so despised. The results speak for themselves. It's more than I ever expected at the outset. I have been very fortunate in that regard. I can blend into the outside world as a woman and avoid the reproach that being trans often invokes.

Gender transition is the most difficult thing I have ever done. It required an intensity of mental and physical effort that I now wonder how I was able to sustain. The drive to complete what nature, society, and medicine withheld from me eventually became so overpowering that I was willing to do anything and everything possible to achieve gender congruence.

I used to be astonished at those who embark on a transition journey. I still admire the courage required to do so.  The path is perilous and the final destination uncertain.  Some are ambivalent about where they fall within the gender spectrum. Many do not have the means to undergo the necessary physical changes needed to be gendered correctly. The barriers and limitations are myriad.  Many fail to achieve peace of mind.  For me, transition has been a rebirth opening up a whole new world of experience.

The ultimate test is maybe the hardest of all: socialization; to find a place in the world as my new self.  There are so many land mines and pitfalls to navigate. Having been socialized as a male for so many years interferes with my ability to assume the ideals, sensibilities, and behaviors of the average female. My vocabulary, body language, manner of dress, emotional expression, interaction with other women and men, etc. will affect my ability to function effectively, make friends, and fit into social situations.  I'm still working on these subtle, yet critical, aspects of being a binary woman.

One thing that is beyond my control, however, is the way others perceive and react to me. I've found that if someone doesn't know that I'm trans, they react in, what I see as, a very natural man-to-woman or woman-to-woman way. Throw in the knowledge that I was "born male", and things change in subtle ways. It sometimes shows as people becoming overly accommodating; at other times avoidance; still others rudeness.  I'm still coming to grips with that reality. There's nothing I can do to change how others feel about trans people. Hopefully, in time, it will get better. In the mean time, I have to deal with it within myself. 

My wife and I will be spending this coming winter in the southwest region of the U.S.  I plan to avoid revealing my trans status to others to see how well we, as a same-sex couple, can integrate into the cis world.  I'd like to believe that I can eventually leave my medical past behind, and just live a happy, less complicated life.
  •  

Aeirs

Thank you for sharing your story I found it very interesting and helpful!
  •  

Ashley Allison

Very inspiring and you showed lots of courage! :)
Fly this girl as high as you can
Into the wild blue
Set me free
  •  

Eva

You do what you must do and your doing what must be done, dont forget to enjoy it and always remember #@+#! em all if they cant deal, YOU are one of very few in this world, Im happy and proud of you  :) 8)
  •  

Miss Clara

Well, You're never quite sure when to mark the end of a transition.  Seven days ago I had breast augmentation surgery.  I just was not happy with my 36B breasts, and they weren't getting any bigger.  So I did my research and scheduled a consultation with a reputable plastic surgeon in Northbrook, IL (suburb of Chicago).  I was armed with B&A photos of what I wanted, got a dose of reality about what was and wasn't possible, did the whole Vectra 3-D simulation thing, and came up with a plan.  Two Mentor MemoryShape 440 cc medium height, moderate projection 5th generation cohesive gel silicone (gummy bear) implants, placed subpectorally (dual-plane) through an inframammary incision. 

I was sore as hell for two days, slightly feverish for a third, swelled hard as a rock even now, but I'm improving my arm strength and mobility day by day.  The surgical bra which I have to wear 24/7 gets so uncomfortable, I have to take it off once in a while to get some relief.  But even as I'm writing this, it's lying here reminding me to put it back on so that the implants heal to the chest wall and muscle so they stay in a vertical orientation.

This Youtube video (not me) tells it just the way it was for me at the 3 day point:

•  

EmilyMK03

Congratulations on your successful BA surgery Clara.  ;)
  •  

Miss Clara

8 days post-op and a quick switcheroo into an underwire from that ugly surgical compression bra.....

•  

karenpayneoregon

Quote from: Clara Kay on July 17, 2016, 08:31:22 AM
Gender transition is the most difficult thing I have ever done. It required an intensity of mental and physical effort that I now wonder how I was able to sustain. The drive to complete what nature, society, and medicine withheld from me eventually became so overpowering that I was willing to do anything and everything possible to achieve gender congruence.
Thinking of this statement, my doctor who transitioned 20 years ago said this to me, "transitioning fully is like preparing to become an astronaut."  so your statement is very true, it take a lot to first move forward and then keep things going as there are so many hurtles along our journeys which means a great deal of mental and physical effort as you have indicated.

Quote from: Clara Kay on July 17, 2016, 08:31:22 AM
I plan to avoid revealing my trans status
That is a great, why dwell on your former life, best to move forward in this case but not to forget the good things.

I wish you and your wife all the happiness in the world as you grow old together.

When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be."
-Julia Glass, Three Junes

GCS 2015, age 58
  •  

Ashley Allison

Love your post and the inspiration it brought me through your realism! Can't wait to hear about your time in the Southwest :)
Fly this girl as high as you can
Into the wild blue
Set me free
  •  

Miss Clara

The 'almost' part of my thread's title is turning out to be more significant than I thought. 

I've undergone 220 hours of electrolysis (no laser) to rid my face and neck of unsightly male beard hair.  It's been a long and expensive process.  My last electrolysis session was almost 4 months ago when I moved away from where my electrologist practices.  I am happy with the progress I've made over the previous 2 years since I started facial hair removal. 

I was under the impression that once a follicle was killed by electrolysis, the pore closed up and no hair would ever grow there again.  That doesn't seem to be case for me, however.  I have fine peach fuzz hairs over much of my face and neck.  They are completely colorless, shallow rooted, and only visible if I hold a flashlight against my face while looking in a 10X makeup mirror in a dark room.  Is this something that others have noticed?  Is it true that after aggressive electrolysis, you can still expect to have facial hair in the form of peach fuzz?  Will the peach fuzz eventually grow into thick male-like facial hair or stay short, light, and soft?  If it stays like the vellus hair that natal women have, no problem, otherwise, good god, how do you get rid of this stuff?
  •  

HappyMoni

I'm late to your original post. I read it this evening and it really made me feel hopeful. I needed that, thank you!
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

2cherry

Yes!!! celebrate it! Victory, let's claim it. We deserve it. We defeated our demons, slayed dragons. We mastered our minds and bodies. We transcended all negativity along the way. And we are still going strong! nothing can stop us. Up, up, up and away!

1977: Born.
2009: HRT
2012: RLE
2014: SRS
2016: FFS
2017: rejoicing

focus on the positive, focus on solutions.
  •  

Dena

I have peach fuzz all over my face but it's heaver in places where there was less hair removal. In about 30 years with no treatment, I have around a dozen survivors that aren't really worth getting removed. It's normal for women to have this but makeup tends to cover it up so it's not noticeable. Don't worry about it, as you may still want a few minutes in the chair sometime in the future but your electrolysis bill has been reduced to almost nothing.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Michelle_P

OMG!  You've got vellus hairs!  These are the wonderful fine hairs covering ciswomen's skin,  softening the skin and appearance.   AKA peach fuzz.  It's a GOOD thing.

I'd kill to have just vellus hair blanketing my hide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Miss Clara

Quote from: HappyMoni on January 16, 2017, 07:57:32 PM
I'm late to your original post. I read it this evening and it really made me feel hopeful. I needed that, thank you!
Moni

You're welcome, Moni.  I should say that before my transition began, I was not hopeful or encouraged about achieving a satisfactory outcome.  It's turned out much better than I ever thought, so keep your eye on the ball (no pun intended), good things will come your way with time and effort.   :)
  •  

HappyMoni

Clara,
  Thanks! Actually I am pretty optimistic. I have been lucky in many ways. My transition is going very well. Sure I get upset when I think my progress is threatened. It is my weakness. When you are climbing this mountain it is nice to hear from those who have made it to the top. I tell you and  I tell any other post transitioners or almost finished transitioners, please tell your stories. It is so good to hear from our big sisters. It is reassuring for those who are still plugging away. I, for one, am lifted by your story and the story of others who are near the end of their evolution.
   As for the hair, I don't know if it ever disappears. I think it just becomes so fine it is not a problem. I am not brave enough to count up all my electrolysis time. Take care!
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Inarasarah

Quote from: HappyMoni on January 19, 2017, 08:22:19 PM
When you are climbing this mountain it is nice to hear from those who have made it to the top. I tell you and  I tell any other post transitioners or almost finished transitioners, please tell your stories. It is so good to hear from our big sisters. It is reassuring for those who are still plugging away.

I am glad to hear this and I hope my occasional stories find resonance for a few.  Often I fear that I come off bragging because I am done with most of the steps that so many are just starting or still going through.  But honestly, I do want to show that the outcome is (at least for me) wonderful.  Am I a radiant beauty after FFS, not even close.  Do I have a magnificent sex life, by most standards no, but I am satisfied.  Have I made friends, yes and I am fully accepted by them as just another girl.  I came back to the online forum world seeking advice and support for my upcoming VFS surgery, and you all have been nothing but the absolute best in this regard.  I find it really hard to talk about it with my close friends, because they are all cis-gendered and they just cannot relate. 

But since I have been here, I have heard your coming out stories; I have read your posts about transition; and it has invigorated me.  I am incredibly happy for each and every one of you as you take each step on your own journey.  Each day adds to your story and to the collective story of our community.  When I first came out back in 2002, I fully expected to lose everything--my family, my marriage, my job, my friends, basically everything I held dear.  As it turns out, I gained so much more than I ever lost, and now I live a fantastic life filled with my family of friends.  Now I have had my ups and downs over the years, but knowing that I am now living as I have always wanted to is deep down the only thing that matters to me. 

I wish each and every one of you the fulfillment of your dreams; be that acceptance for being who you are, or fully transitioning into a whole new you.  Life is magical and our community constantly fills me with hope and joy.  When I had my SRS/GCS back in 2004, I could not have imagined feeling the way I feel today.  And even though it has only been 13 years of being "me", I truly feel like I have always been this way, and maybe I have been deep inside and that inside me is all that is left.

Much love to all, and again I hope that my words help and encourage.   :)
  •  

Miss Clara

Quote from: Inarasarah on January 20, 2017, 12:26:24 AMWhen I had my SRS/GCS back in 2004, I could not have imagined feeling the way I feel today.  And even though it has only been 13 years of being "me", I truly feel like I have always been this way, and maybe I have been deep inside and that inside me is all that is left.

Wow!  13 years!  You are my big sister.  It's hard to gauge when one's transition is over and just the normal changes that all people experience takes over.  My cisgender family and friends don't relate to my being trans, but, to be fair, I have trouble relating to being cisgender.  What must it be like to feel totally at peace with your natal sex?

Even though I'm only into my fourth year since starting HRT, and just 15 months since my GRS, I have noticed changes in my mental state since the heady, euphoric, emotional days when estrogen first made its presence felt. As the months and years pass, things do settle down.  As each step in transition is taken, the body and mind adjust to the new reality of being the opposite sex.  I'm learning that there are aspects of my personality that are intrinsic to my core identity.  Much of who I used to be, who I pretended to be, was but a thin veneer which barely covered my true self.  Transition for me was a shedding of, no, a tearing away the male facade, but in the process I stripped away parts of me that were real in a zealous attempt to seek validation from the people in my life.  Now, having achieved what appears to be acceptance from the world at large, I feel free to restore my whole self, not worry about what people may think; not feel that I have to measure up to what others expect of me; to stop pretending to be less masculine or more feminine than I actually am.  I see this as the final stage of transitioning which is probably similar to what cisgender women struggle with as well.  Gender is a spectrum.  I suspect that all people trans and cis need to discover where they fall within that spectrum.
  •  

Inarasarah

Big sister...hehe :)

One thing I have noticed is that I don't really remember what it was like to be a boy.  I honestly don't remember what it is like to not have breasts and what it was like to have boy parts.  I think that as more time passes we start remembering the past as we are today, although I can look at pictures of my former self, I don't see myself, I cannot remember the specific sensations back then, but I know who I was then, and I do not deny living it. 

I am not sure if this makes sense, but you are right about the spectrum, I think we all traverse it each day for our whole lives.
  •  

Miss Clara

Quote from: Inarasarah on January 20, 2017, 04:01:19 PM

One thing I have noticed is that I don't really remember what it was like to be a boy.  I honestly don't remember what it is like to not have breasts and what it was like to have boy parts.  I think that as more time passes we start remembering the past as we are today, although I can look at pictures of my former self, I don't see myself, I cannot remember the specific sensations back then, but I know who I was then, and I do not deny living it. 

Oh, it makes perfect sense to me, Sarah.  Even at this early stage of my new life, it seems very odd to speak of my former existence and connect to it.  For me transition was the death of one person, and the birth of a another.  It sometimes shocks me when, on occasion, the feeling of being my former self rises up.  I have to tell myself that it's only natural that I should experience moments like these given how much we two have in common as brother and sister.
  •