Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Yeah! Battlestar Galactica Season 2 is back on

Started by Kendall, July 15, 2005, 09:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kendall

Out of all the tv and cable shows on recently, this is my favorite show. Drama, great characters, romance, betrayal, reminds me of my favorite show as a child. The Japanese animation Star Blazers.

I am soooo happy season 2 is finally on..
  •  

4years

I am afraid I can't work up any enthusiasm for this remake. Starbuck is NOT a woman. :\ Besides, I like the original cast (= Nonetheless I should watch for the spaceships but any of the previews I've seen .. well... ;)
  •  

wajdi

Sorry, Kendra, but I have to disagree with you on this one.  I faithfully watch the first half of season one, but rapidly came to the conclusion that this was just a soap opera in a science fiction genre.  The acting is kind of mediocre (at best); the plot is overly predictable; and the characterization lacks imagination.  FYI, I got tired of the first version just about as quickly.  The only redeming quality the remake has is the (gasp) outlook on religion shown (Cylons with religion?  Oh My Goddess!).  Furthermore, the command structure of the entire refugee fleet lacks the least bit of common sense.  Somehow, I think a spacefaring culture would have a bit more common sense (to say nothing of basic intelligence) than they show.  If BSG is the ancestors of humans, then it's a wonder we haven't blown ourselves off the face of the planet years ago.
  •  

Kendall

The original didnt have stuff like:

1 One person's continuing dialogue with a seductive (imaginary or somewhat mental) female cylone hybreed clone that haunts, and has a sort of domanitrix sort of relationship. Yet we find later is having his child. And his uncertainty and fight with what is real, and what is not. (She shows up in physical form).

2 One character's (actually playing a cylone imbedded sleeper clone, and a clone travelling with the surviver of a crash two roles, lol, she parts the hair different sides), conflict to realize that she is the one actually planting bombs, sabotaging the mother ship, and leading others either astray, or against the cyclones (cant tell yet). And dramatic conclusion of simultaniously being pregnant with a human in one role, and shooting Commander Adama point blank.

3 One father's relationship with his son vs a the son he mourns. His expectations, fears,  and sometimes lack of confidence in his current son.

4 One lady's fight, to lead the last humans towards safety against overwhelming odds, dieing of cancer, but with a almost paganistic belief that she is the one prophesized in the ancient legends to lead them back to earth. Although few others believe in the legends.

5 A love, hate, denial and best friend, co worker, boss /  subordinate, lover/never will love relationship between the two main characters.

6 A rebel leader's / criminal's inspiring fight against organized government, and fight against structures that are divorced from the people.

7 Space battles that have meaning and purpose, interlaced into the complex plot.

Yes it is a soap opera in sci fi genre. The characters and acting excel over Stargate Atlantis which has no sense, few believable characters, and little great relationships nor connections. The command structure is disorganized, but has evolved. Remember the ships where brought together by chance, the last survivors of a destroyed planet, that joined a military battlecruiser on the edge and barely able to convince the commander to flee instead of fighting and impossible, loosing battle. The show did show them attempting to create a governing structure, election, and coexistence with the military. And also showed a rebel attempting, and successful causing an election that created a new government.

In all of this the flaws are shown in each character. The original Adama was almost flawless. Even Lt. Kara Thrace (Starbuck) now played by a female, wrestles with her inner turmoil of having been at least part fault in the death of Adama's son. This is a different show than the original. More soap opera like. Even the music to me is touching.

I dont watch much tv; it doesnt interest me. At least I found one thing that I like, in the last 5 years.
  •  

wajdi

ANYTHING compares favorably to Stargate Atlantis!!!
  •  

Cassandra

Hi ya'll,

Personally I love BattleStar Galactica. I liked the old Battlestar too, in it's day. I will agree the new BG is superior to the old. More content, fewer space battles, deeper characters. I like all sci fi. Campy is good especially if there is a lot of good tounge in cheek, like Mars Attacks, or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Here's one you have to have grown up in the late fifties early sixties to remember, Prehistoric Women of Venus, complete with appearance by the original Roby the Robot from Forbidden Planet. FP by the way is one of the greats in Sci Fi movies. If you've never seen it you should absolutely rent it. It is a must see.

One thing I cannot stand is a Sci Fi movie based on a book whose only similarity is the title. i.e. Battlefield Earth with John Travolta. Now I love John Travolta, I'll pretty much watch anything he's in but this movie sucked big time. The original novel by L Ron Hubbard was an excellent work. In the book Fort Knox has no gold, the Psyclos got that long ago, and the humans do not find an old military base with weapons in pristine condition after 1,000 years. Johnny takes people one by one to the teaching machine were they all learn Psyclo and how to use thier machines which they then use to wage war on the Psyclos. After sending the nuclear device through the transport the story does not end there.

Seems the Psyclos had Earth heavily leaveraged and the galactic bankers want there galactic credits, so the humans have one week to come up with the credits or be forclosed on. There are several races hovering around the planet waiting for the foreclosure sale. If you haven't seen the movie, DON'T. Read the book it's much better.

Cassie
  •  

Bdnewgirl

I grew up with the first one. Have not seen much of the new one.
I'm waiting for a remake of Space 1999

:-*
Brandi
  •  

Shelley

I'm with you wadji,

Can't get into Stargate Atlantis.

I have seen both Brandi and find this one a little more in depth if not darker than the first which I like.

Shelley
  •  

Sarah Louise

I can't get into Atlantas or the new Battlestar.  But then I don't like the new General on Stargate either (I have never liked him in any part).  I miss O'Neal.

Sarah
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Shelley

You have to find something to replace the Treks. :(

Shelley
  •  

Chaunte

God love you, Shelly!  Another Trek fan!

I like the new Battlestar.  It took me a little bit to accept Starbuck as a woman, but not too long.  The plots are better.  It is more ... coarse than the original.  Probably closer to how people would react.

Cassie brought up a couple of movies whose titles alone were pirated by Hollywood while the original plot was left in the dumpster.  Another such movie is "Starship Trooper."  The book is EXCELLENT adolescent scifi.  The book really hits on what does it mean to be a citizen.  The movie ... er... "inhaled greatly."  (Saying that something 'sucks' seems rather crass to me.)

Chaunte
  •  

Shelley

Unfortunately Chaunte,

Here they've even taken the really late night showings off free to air.

Shelley
  •  

Chaunte

Shelly,

That's terrible!  You might want to go to www.scifi.com to see what is happening.  Even more so now that the Battlestar "Pegasus" is about to lock horns with the "Galactica!"

Hmmmm.  I was just imagining what would happen if the "Star Trek" universe met the "Battlestar" universe.  The Cylons are both better and worse than the Borg...  I guess I would still place my money (gold-pressed latinium?) on the "Defiant" and the "Enterprise-E."

Chaunte
  •  

Kendall

I missed Final Cut, Flight of the Phoenix , and Pegasus do to Hurricane damage. Hope to see recasts in the future.
  •  

Shelley

Don't forget the Clingon's on the starboard bow Chaunte.

Shelley
  •  

Chaunte

Shelley,

What's scary is that I sometimes curse in Klingon when a demo doesn't quite work!  Or, if I am about to give a hard exam, I have been known to utter Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!  (Today is a good day to die!).

Qa'pla! (Success!)

Chaunte
  •  

stephanie_craxford

:D :D

I'm have trouble with the English language and you folks are speaking Klingon.  Who said Susan's isn't accepting.   ;D

Chat later,

Steph
  •  

Kimberly

If I am not mistaken the book Starship Troopers (passable at best movie; second one don't even bother with.) is inspired by the Forever War by Joe Haldeman ... I'm not to sure of that now however as it seems Robert A. Heinlein wrote a book entitled "Starship Troopers"
*frown*
Rats, now I'm confused.

Well, that might explain it as the Forever War (great book and concepts) really didn't match the movie so well. ... then again that is nothing new for movies.
*ponder*
Now I'm going to have to get Mr. Heinlein's book...

But more to the point of the thread I just can't accept Starbuck as a woman. Nope sorry, that's Dirk Benedict's role. Call it a different show because it's not Battlestar Galactica :P But hay, I liked him as Face on A-Team too so meh... I'm not admitting nutten! :P * giggles*
  •  

Chaunte

The movie "Starship Trooper" is only the slightest bit connected with the excellent book by Heinlein.  What is the same are the names, the world government, and Earth at war with the "Bugs."

The movie is focused on killing as many Bugs as you can in the most violent way possible.

The book uses the war with the Bugs to discuss citizenship. 

In the book, everyone is born a resident with equal rights and protections under the law.  What a resident can not do is vote, hold public office, or have a job where you have to be willing to place the lives of others ahead of your own.  (Police, fire, etc.)

To become a citizen requires a minimum 2-year stint in the armed services.  Unless, of course, there is a war on...

Chaunte
  •