Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Change of Name

Started by Dana60, July 02, 2016, 03:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana60

Well I submitted my Application for a Name Change today. This is definitely one of those things that make you realise that this is all really happening and that i am finally going to be who i always should have been!

Going full time is getting very close.

Dana
  •  

lily paige

Im doing mine this Wednesday. Which is fun and exciting

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

•  

Claire_Sydney

Congratulations Dana!

I sent mine in last Monday too.

Even at the last minute, I was 'umming' and 'erring' about whether I wanted a middle name. In the end, I omitted it. 😊

Can't wait to have lunch with you again soon...
  •  

Ms Grace

The Sydney B, D & M will wonder what's going on!! ;D
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Dana60

I went with Gillian as my middle name, i was always going to have one and that seemed to fit well.

•  

Claire_Sydney

I just checked the turnaround times at BDM Victoria.  It is a four month wait for a name change to be processed in Victoria!  The most recent application they processed was dated 21 March!  If there is any error in my application, it will be an 8-month wait !!!

This throws all my plans out the window.  I will be living full time as my new gender, including at work, in about 6 weeks, but it will be 4-8 months until I can produce any ID in that name.

This is going to create all kinds of problems.

In NSW, they can process an express application in 10 days!

•  

Dana60

Wow, i was told it was around 8 weeks for a regular application in NSW, which means it will be about a week after i go full time. That will be ok, but waiting another couple of months would definitely be a problem. I went into Services NSW so they could check what i gave them; it's no guarantee but they thought it should all be ok.

By the Claire, did you see my PM?
  •  

rosinstraya

I think the time it takes varies a lot depending on circumstances. I got the 8 weeks advice from NSW, but it actually took one week. The fact I had a one on one appointment (those stairs, those heels....) followed by immediate payment and placement in the "all clear" pile probably helped.

I hope that you all get your certificates asap!!
[table][tr][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]
  •  

Claire_Sydney

They don't run interviews in Victoria. You simply submit the papers.

The front page of their website contains an apology and statement saying they are in the process of implementing a variety of measures to try and get the processing times back under control. They have a table showing the current processing time - it is updated every few days. It doesn't sound so bad, until you realise they are only counting working days, and ignoring their own handling and postage times.

I'm going to have to sit down with my employer and figure out what records our HR system can update without changing super, tax, or payroll systems. I know it's best practice but I'm not sure if our HR systems are set up to accommodate a preferred name.

Then there is going to be all the problems with collecting mail, doctors appointments, showing license to security at the door to a licensed venue, etc, etc...

What a headache....
  •  

rosinstraya

I'm sorry that the system in Victoria is so bloody useless, Claire.
[table][tr][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]
  •  

Claire_Sydney

Thanks Ros.

I sent them an email asking if there is something that can be done. It will be a struggle live Ng an identity I can't substantiate.

I started working on ideas of how to defraud the identity system last night...
  •  

Serenation

Claire my friend has been waiting for her new BC for quite a few months from vic, not sure if theres anything you can do.I did a BC earlier in the year and it was 2-3 months so not sure whats up with them at the moment.

Best to ring an ask, email responses can take months also. I've been having a very slow conversation with them over email. Is like communicating with Ents from lord of the rings.
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

Ella_bella

Really sorry to hear about the long wait times girls! My name change came through from WA BDM in 8 days. I'll keep my fingers crossed it comes through quickly for you!

•  

Lilian J

Mine just arrived yesterday though was in mailbox at my old place so could have been there for a day or two . All up around 5 business days for the WA bdm. Now if only they were as efficient and easy on Gender changes as well.

Good news for Claire as well :)
  •  

emmaschmema

Victoria yeshhh! I've been moaning about my 7 week wait in NSW, but I guess I'll have to stop complaining now I've got that perspective.
  •  

Pengola

Would any of you know how long it takes to get your gender changed on passport? Ive grown tired of awkward questions and weird stares when immigration officers look at my passport. I fly really often so its becoming an issue for me
  •  

Serenation

only takes a few weeks to get a passport so I can't imagine it would take much different to update one?
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

Ella_bella

Quote from: Pengola on July 31, 2016, 12:05:18 PM
Would any of you know how long it takes to get your gender changed on passport? Ive grown tired of awkward questions and weird stares when immigration officers look at my passport. I fly really often so its becoming an issue for me
Are you also changing your name on the passport at the same time? Im currently doing name & gender change on my passport. Whilst they "replace" your passport with one that has the new details - you still have to fill out a new passport application form (there is a section for changing your name etc). Normally it only takes two weeks for a brand new passport, so I imagine it will be no different.

Fingers crossed for you!

•