Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Conservative teen says she'll fail high school if trans students receive equal treatment

Started by Deborah, August 29, 2016, 10:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xirafel

Quote from: RobynD on August 30, 2016, 12:35:44 PM
Yeah i get the impression that people think locker rooms are straight out of the classic movie "Porky's" (if you haven't seen it don't, it's stupid). Naked people frolicking about and snapping towels at one another.
That happened when I went to a public pool when I was a child. Needless to say, I never went back.
Truly disgusting. Some of them are really really bad.
  •  

RobynD

I never experienced such shenanigans/idiocy in locker rooms and i played sports (football, baseball mainly). We had some pretty tough PE teachers and coaches i suspect.

The reports i hear from our kids now is that locker rooms are pretty much a non-event in schools. 2/3 of the people don't even use them except to store their stuff and wait to get home to shower etc.

My gym locker room is pretty much like that too.

•  

Jean24

Lmao... she's from Leigh Valley! It's not like she was going to choose to finish HS anyway.

Not that it matters because they'll have plenty of coal mining and steel jobs now that Trump's president. I'm sure they will be glad to pay her below the minimum wage so her entitlement to compensation for work doesn't hurt the economy.

lol
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

Patty_M

Does anyone know how Sigourney Coyle's lawsuit turned out? 

I'd guess that it was laughed out of court but I haven't found anything definite.  The school board had seventeen people speak in the transgender girl's behalf.  The board's meeting minutes just say that they obey the law (https://www.eastpennsd.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/SBM-9-12-16.pdf).

This case came to mind as there is a Pennsylvania boy how has filed a suit because he saw an FTM trans boy in the locker room.  He believes that he suffered lifelong damage from the sight (LOL)
  •  

AnneK

QuoteThis includes non-Christians trapped in their own sin.

This is an example of the bigotry religion all too often causes.  If you're not one of them, you are a sinner.  This even happens between different denominations in a religion, as I experienced as a kid.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

AnneK

QuoteNaked people frolicking about and snapping towels at one another.

Ummm...  That actually happened back when I was in high school.  We all used the change room and had to shower after gym class.  There was often some joker who'd snap his towel at someone.  One other thing I noticed was the girls didn't shower after their gym class and that was certainly noticeable in the following classes.

These days, I often go to a public pool.  I am amazed to see so many guys feel they have to hide themselves, when getting changed.  That certainly wasn't the way things were done when I was younger.  I suspect this is a very unhealthy trend, where people are taught to be ashamed of their bodies.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

•  

AnneK

QuoteThat's so true; parents are missing a great teaching moment here

Except both the parents and the school promote such bigotry in the name of religion.  That girl, in that environment, is being encouraged to be a bigot.

•  

CrziCricket

Quote from: AnneK on March 23, 2017, 07:57:54 AM
Ummm...  That actually happened back when I was in high school.  We all used the change room and had to shower after gym class.  There was often some joker who'd snap his towel at someone.  One other thing I noticed was the girls didn't shower after their gym class and that was certainly noticeable in the following classes.

These days, I often go to a public pool.  I am amazed to see so many guys feel they have to hide themselves, when getting changed.  That certainly wasn't the way things were done when I was younger.  I suspect this is a very unhealthy trend, where people are taught to be ashamed of their bodies.

I know that because of the fear of predators, many parents are, and have been, teaching that your privates (or even secondary parts of you) should be hidden at all times from others unless mom and dad say it is okay... eventually as the kid gets older you talk more about who you can share these parts with.... but it leaves you ingrained with the impression that your body is to be hidden....

Which is why I find it absurd that some parents I know tell these things to their daughter while wearing a VERY low-cut shirt and a mini skirt that barely covers them. They tell their daughters to hide their bodies while exposing everything... I have no problem with the outfit, wear what you want, but the hipocracy is frustrating.

In my gym class you changed and that was it. Showers were only used by the sports teams after practice. (while I was in JROTC I had many friends in regular gym and we shared experiences and talked about differences)
They said they all changed as fast as possible, one of my friends keeping her gym clothes under her reg until class and only fully changing after. My sister said the rule was look down and do it fast. lol
My mister said it was often similar in the boys locker room. No unders ever came off so genitals were never an issue. And a trans teen would easily be able to slip by by wearing a tank that they do not remove in the locker room.
  •  

ErinS

Quote from: Patty_M on March 22, 2017, 11:21:42 PM
Does anyone know how Sigourney Coyle's lawsuit turned out? 

I'd guess that it was laughed out of court but I haven't found anything definite.  The school board had seventeen people speak in the transgender girl's behalf.  The board's meeting minutes just say that they obey the law (https://www.eastpennsd.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/SBM-9-12-16.pdf).

This case came to mind as there is a Pennsylvania boy how has filed a suit because he saw an FTM trans boy in the locker room.  He believes that he suffered lifelong damage from the sight (LOL)

"Lol" all you want(I bet you'd screech if someone laughed off the idea of "lifelong damage" for a transkid changing in the nurses office) but telling a kid to "get over" being told to change in front of someone of the opposite sex would be about as clear-cut Title IX violation as there is if we weren't currently stuck in Clown World. I mean even the rabid right wing(lol) New Yorker has been warning how this interpretation was going to cause problems with Title IX: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/public-bathroom-regulations-could-create-a-title-ix-crisis

•  

SophieD

Thanks for posting the New Yorker piece; it cut to the chase.  As much as I want a world where people (especially me!) can use the bathroom corresponding to their true gender, objections will have to be addressed in a way that wins support, rather than simply throws gasoline on the fire.  I'm not always clear on how to accomplish that.
  •  

Deborah

The only way to begin to address that is to have some accepted legal definition of what is transsexual.  I understand that many in the community would resist such a thing though.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

SophieD

Quote from: Deborah on March 26, 2017, 01:23:38 PM
The only way to begin to address that is to have some accepted legal definition of what is transsexual. 

My state of residence, Maryland, has provided for access to "public accommodations" based on "core gender identity".  That has been enough so far.  Maybe the experience of states like Maryland that have accommodated the needs of transgendered citizens will over time erode resistance in states that haven't.  Hope so.
  •  

Jennifer RachaelAnn

Quote from: becky.rw on August 29, 2016, 10:24:58 AM

But no, she'd rather make a scene, and fail high school.

As far as jeopordizing her future? nah, if she's worthy of college, the SAT will show it; and academic grades will show it, and she'd be accepted HS diploma or not. I had friends that didn't even take their senior year, just applied and said, kthxbye. Some conservative christian colleges might even attempt to recruit, as its a good source to provoke conservative alumni donations.

The only place she could have a problem going, as far as college is concerned, is the ivy league. Their requirements and standards are so extreme that your average student isn't worthy in the eyes of the ivy's. So when she applies to say, Yale, and they deny her she will press a suit against them for discrimination of some form. Maybe her hair is too blonde, or her shoes are not heels, or her favorite movie is Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. This girl is the type that honestly (however pathetic that may be) believes, it's ok for her to discriminate against anyone she chooses for any reason she chooses, but when someone is within say a billion trillion light years of doing it to her, then it's the greatest injustice in the history of the universe. These people make me sick. We need to bring back the stocks for them, if only for a short (a few months should do) while.

Hell, bring the hole out of prison. That would be fine too.
"There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are some who share my time. I am entertained by them.
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them."

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•  

DawnOday

Seem's this student has problems with prejudice. It seems to be a personal problem. How about the party of responsibility start taking some.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

VeronicaLynn

Quote from: AnneK on March 23, 2017, 07:57:54 AM

They gave you time to shower? My school barely gave us time to change. I was often late to my next class.

It's funny, I went in the girl's locker room at my high school all the time. It, as well as the boy's locker room, had a Coke machine and usually one was broken.  We would ask if the PE teacher standing at the door if there were any changing before entering. The girls would not always do the same.
  •  

eyesk8rboi

Failing gym isn't going to jeopardize her future, but using the men's locker room may jeopardize the other girls life.
Steven Lee | 24 | Dog Dad | Beginner Figure Skater | Aspiring Writer

:icon_arrow:Started counseling on June 11th, 2017
:icon_arrow:Received HRT Letter on July 2nd, 2017
:icon_arrow:HRT Consultation with Doctor on July 16th, 2017

•  

Julia1996

It's because of stupid crap like this that I waited until I graduated high school before going full female. The locker rooms at my school were just for changing.  And nobody like ran around naked. And no one ever even used the showers. They used the showers to store gym mats.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •