Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

U.S. Civil Rights Commission: ‘Religious Freedom’ is Code Word for Racism, Homophobia, and ‘Christia

Started by Deborah, September 13, 2016, 05:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah

U.S. Civil Rights Commission: 'Religious Freedom' is Code Word for Racism, Homophobia, and 'Christian Supremacy'

By Joe Carter

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/u.s.-civil-rights-commission-religious-freedom-is-code-word-for-racism-homophobia-and-christian-supremacy?utm_campaign=tgcblog&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner#when:2016-09-13t06:46:00+00:00

Last week the U.S. Civil Rights Commission issued a report that implies religious believers support of religious liberty is often motivated more by hate than by adherence to God's revelation.  . . .

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." — John Adams

The phrases "religious liberty" and "religious freedom" will stand for nothing except hypocrisy so long as they remain code words for discrimination, intolerance, racism, sexism, homophobia, Islamophobia, Christian supremacy or any form of intolerance.
---------------------------------------
I agree with the report, although not with the article as it is from The Gospel Coalition and is what you might expect.

It's time to say no their notion that the Christian Lifestyle takes precedence over anyone else's liberty in a free country.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Deborah

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

itsApril

If anyone would like to see the actual report of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission (as opposed the views of a religious group decrying it), here's a direct link to it on the USCCR website:

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/Peaceful-Coexistence-09-07-16.PDF

It's lengthy and detailed.
-April
  •  

RobynD

Thanks to them for stating the obvious. There are a variety of code words used by those wishing for society not to progress and put a damper on human rights. The next time you hear the word "heritage" look hard at the source and the context.

•  

RobynD

I've been somewhat amazed at the responses from a few of my otherwise intelligent and like-able religious conservative friends on Facebook to this. ( i know it's predictable - but always hope for the best)

To them - the government's defense of LGTBQI rights is "sad" because it "promotes immorality" - same old tired song about - "what will they promote next? " etc. This is the basis of what they fear. They fear recruitment and normalization of lifestyles and all of their sad terms.

I can't imagine thinking it is ok to take basic human rights from people based on how they identify and who they love. What a strange and evil concept in and of itself.

•