Main Menu

Here and nationwide, bathrooms that aren't his or hers

Started by LostInTime, November 05, 2007, 11:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Washington Square News
Rachel Smith
Issue date: 11/5/07 Section: News
http://media.www.nyunews.com/media/storage/paper869/news/2007/11/05/News/Here-And.Nationwide.Bathrooms.That.Arent.His.Or.Hers-3077766.shtml

The issues surrounding gender-neutral bathrooms, bathrooms that don't have gender-specific labels, are gaining prominence on campuses nationwide. The signs have led to debate about who can go where and how labels can shape the use of public space.

NYU addressed the issue three years ago when the University Senate passed a resolution to include gender-neutral bathrooms in all new and renovated buildings.
  •  

Ms Bev

From the article link: 
"I don't see why we need to have gender-specified bathrooms," said CAS freshman Damon Beres. "It's just a bunch of stalls, I don't see why anyone gives a >-bleeped-<."

I agree, who should?  Trouble is, I've encountered many "educated" young people in my own workplace, who apparently do, or did until the issue was forced.  Now, they don't give one either, but it took me making a stand (or sit, as it were) before they decided they didn't care after all.  Only one woman in the company won't go in if she knows I'm there, but all the rest are okay....most smile, say hi, sometimes chit chat.
This country still has a loooong way to go.

Bev
1.) If you're skating on thin ice, you might as well dance. 
Bev
2.) The more I talk to my married friends, the more I
     appreciate  having a wife.
Marcy
  •