Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Cult Classics We Love

Started by V M, September 10, 2016, 05:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V M

Taxi Driver with Robert Di Niro

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteTaxi Driver is a 1976 American vigilante film[2][3][4] with neo-noir[5][6][7] and psychological thriller[5][8][9][10] elements, directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Paul Schrader. Set in New York City following the Vietnam War, the film stars Robert De Niro, and features Jodie Foster, Harvey Keitel, Cybill Shepherd, Peter Boyle, and Albert Brooks.
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: Cindy on February 13, 2017, 01:14:51 AM

Some nasty scenes as I realised how movies (and I have changed) the gratuitous rape in HPD and the ignorance of what it meant was disturbing, but I may have missed the point, it is a hard film to decipher at times.
I always figured he had "returned" (not sure if supernaturally or what) to punish the town and everyone in it for what they did. Definitely not a good guy but there to make the entire town uneasy before going all out on it. Weird film in that respect, as you are not sure who the hell to root for.

The rape at the start makes sure you know right away Eastwood isn't the hero or a gentleman. The tension in the film comes mostly from the oppressive atmosphere and wondering what will happen, so I kinda like it (first watching not knowing being the best). It's not nice but it is 'different' and the fact it's open for interpretation meant it's one that stuck in my head down the years.

Only love for The Good The Bad and the Ugly though. A true Western Epic. I'm not even big on the genre but that film is a masterpiece.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

V M

Quote from: Kylo on February 21, 2017, 09:32:42 PM
I always figured he had "returned" (not sure if supernaturally or what) to punish the town and everyone in it for what they did. Definitely not a good guy but there to make the entire town uneasy before going all out on it. Weird film in that respect, as you are not sure who the hell to root for.

The rape at the start makes sure you know right away Eastwood isn't the hero or a gentleman. The tension in the film comes mostly from the oppressive atmosphere and wondering what will happen, so I kinda like it (first watching not knowing being the best). It's not nice but it is 'different' and the fact it's open for interpretation meant it's one that stuck in my head down the years.

Only love for The Good The Bad and the Ugly though. A true Western Epic. I'm not even big on the genre but that film is a masterpiece.

I never find rape to be acceptable behavior either but basically he returns to mete out his revenge on the town for the rape and murder of his wife and family while he was sheriff
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Steph Eigen

To that point, Charlie Bronson in Death Wish.  Sublinmation of all our deepest urges for justice.
  •  

JeanetteLW

I guess mine would be the Hobbit and the lord of the rings trilogy.  I can't seem to bypass them when I'm channel surfing.

hugs,
    Jeanette
  •  

NikkiB51

One of my all time cult classic faves is Clerks.  So original and filmed in b/with.

Not sure if it qualifies as a cult classic, but Fifth Element...have to watch it when it's on.
  •  

Steph Eigen

Fifth Element definitely qualifies as cult classic.  Love it.  Can't count the number of times I've seen it.
  •  

Paige

Quote from: V M on September 10, 2016, 06:00:48 PM
Speaking of Rutger Hauer,

Loved him in Hobo with A Shotgun.

Does anyone remember The Ghost and Mr. Chicken with Don Knotts?

My wife always talks about The Incredible Mr. Limpet.  She loves that movie.

•  

Jin

When Rita brings out that elephant gun in "Tremors" I always get an erection!
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

jentay1367

Harold & Maude with the genius musings of the indomitable Ruth Gordon......and of course,  Rocky Horror.
  •  

Inarasarah

I am watching one of my favorite cult classics tonight:  The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
  •  

Kylo

A Clockwork Orange and The Fountain this week.

If a movie gives me mixed feelings and/or provokes me in a certain way, I'm almost certain to end up owning it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

NikkiB51

Forgot all about Princess Bride.....love it....gotta watch it
  •  

Inarasarah

Quote from: NikkiB51 on March 25, 2017, 11:46:03 AM
Forgot all about Princess Bride.....love it....gotta watch it

OMG, my best friend in highschool and I could quote this move from start to finish...sooooo good!!!
  •  

Angela Drakken

Quote from: Inarasarah on March 28, 2017, 10:34:51 AM
OMG, my best friend in highschool and I could quote this move from start to finish...sooooo good!!!
'I must say, your swordmanship is incredible.' 'Why thank you but I feel I have you at a disadvantage, you see Im not really left handed.'
*switches hands* 'Incredible! I must say youre far better a swordsman than I!' 'Thank you but why are you smiling?' 'Im not left handed either!'
  •  

CoriM

I once waded through heck and high water just to see "You Only Live Twice" in a theater. It remains my favorite to date. Another one I rewatch occasionally is "Koyaanisqatsi" for the incredible imagery and the Philip Glass soundtrack.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

•  

Kylo

Flight of Dragons, if anyone even remembers that one, finally got a DVD release. Before that I had to buy VHS - DVD transfers from Channel 5 on eBay.
  •  

Janes Groove

•  

Angela Drakken

Re-watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show, because I'll be meeting the entire cast in Toronto this summer at Fan Expo!! <3
  •  

Angela Drakken

Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack also got me watching Resevoire Dogs again. <3
  •