Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Painkillers & laser

Started by taru, October 29, 2007, 10:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taru

I am looking for ideas which painkiller to use to make laser pain into a smaller issue. Using EMLA (which works very well for me) is not really possible with the new laser place, but I get treatment nearly free.

At least the following are possible - which of them would you think is best?
* 1000mg paracetamol
* 1000mg paracetamol + 60mg codeine
* 800mg ibuprofen
* 50mg diclofenac
* something else?

Please no replies like "use EMLA" or "switch to an another laser provider".

•  

Kate

I once read somewhere (and have no idea if it's true) that ibuprofin can *increase* the risk of "bruising" when getting laser done. Neither painkillers OR emla seemed to help my pain, so after a few sessions I just skipped it all.

I DID use ibuprofin afterwards though, along with ice, thinking it might reduce any swelling. No idea if it helped or not though, as I don't have anything to compare it against ;)

In other words, you can pretty much completely ignore everything I just said, lol...

Seriously though, the nice thing about laser is its gets less painful with each session.

~Kate~
  •  

Caroline

I normally take some of the 500/8mg paracetamol/codeine tablets before a laser session and they seem to help a little.  I'm sure the 500/30 ones will be even better if you can get hold of them.

I too am unsure whether ibuprofen is a good idea from various things I've heard.
  •  

daisybelle

Quotebut I get treatment nearly free.

Where and How do you receive this?

Daisy
  •  

taru

Quote from: Kate on October 29, 2007, 03:46:34 PM
I once read somewhere (and have no idea if it's true) that ibuprofin can *increase* the risk of "bruising" when getting laser done. Neither painkillers OR emla seemed to help my pain, so after a few sessions I just skipped it all.

Ok. So not touching ibuprofen makes sense.

Quote from: daisybelle on October 29, 2007, 04:12:40 PM
Quotebut I get treatment nearly free.

Where and How do you receive this?

It is called universal health care. Available in e.g. many an european countries.

I will probably opt for two 500/30 paracetamol+codeine tablets.

•  

LynnER

Am I the only person who dosnt think laser hurts THAT much???  Seriously its generaly either a quick hot snap <rare> or a gental warming feeling....

Anyways, takeing painkillers may not be the best idea...  BUT if you ice the area throughly before the session it supposedly works... <its what both my laser techs recomend and I ignore>
  •  

MeghanAndrews

I took 2 Vicodin on to occasions for my three laser sessions and they didn't numb the pain, and I'm a fairly small person. If Laser's going to hurt really bad for you, like REALLY bad, then nothing short of local anesthetic will probably numb the pain. Just my thoughts. I switched to electrolysis, I've had about 30 hours so far and I prefer it much better than laser, but that's just me.
  •