Denmark to become 1st country where 'transgender' is not mental illness

Started by suzifrommd, May 13, 2016, 09:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzifrommd

Denmark to become 1st country where 'transgender' is not mental illness

Published time: 13 May, 2016 10:32
Cathal McNaughton

https://www.rt.com/news/342897-denmark-transgender-mental-illnesses/

Denmark announced it will remove "transgender" from the country's official list of mental illnesses, saying it has run out of patience waiting on the WHO to make the change. The move will make Denmark the first nation in the world to make the amendment.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Violets

I thought the DSM-V had removed it already? Excuse my ignorance, but I thought this document was used by therapists worldwide.

•  

SophieD

I thought gender dysphoria was in the current DSM, but not being transgendered?
  •  

barbie

Just do it.
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: SophieD on May 13, 2016, 10:18:22 AM
I thought gender dysphoria was in the current DSM, but not being transgendered?
That's correct. It was a compromise to maintain the possibility of insurance covering our medical needs.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

warlockmaker

My medical insurance is with a Danish medical insurance group. They rejected my claim for my surgeries and I filed a compliant with  Danish oversight government group for the rejection of my claim and was rejected on April this year.  I'm wondering if I should reapply citing this clarification .

Thank you for bring this subject on the forum.
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

JenniferLopezgomez

In my opinion Denmark and the Netherlands (Holland) might just be the 2 best countries in the world for trans women.  :) :) :)
  •  

stephaniec

First in the world: Denmark MPs approve removing 'transgender' from mental illness list

https://www.rt.com/news/345035-transgender-mental-illness-denmark/

RT/Published time: 1 Jun, 2016 11:08 Edited time: 1 Jun, 2016 11:45

"Transgender people in Denmark will soon no longer be classified as having a mental illness, lawmakers from the parliament's Health Committee have decided. The move has been hailed as a victory by rights groups.
The decision, which will take effect on January 1, 2017, was made by Danish lawmakers on Tuesday. As of that date, the word "transgender" will no longer appear on Denmark's official list of mental illnesses.

"Trans people in Denmark feel stigmatized when they are diagnosed as having a 'mental disorder,'" Social Democrat spokesman Flemming Møller Mortensen told Ritzau news agency."
  •  

Roses and Songs

GOOD NEWS: In Denmark, transgenders are not mentally ill anymore!

Mod Edit: Removed link to foreign language article, removed fair use violation
  •  

TC

That is super awesome news but keep in mind transgender is an adjective not a noun. "Transgenders" is becoming a word of choice used by anti LGBT bigots...

•  

pt98701

•  

warlockmaker

Its maybe no longer a mental illness but I still cannot claim my health insurance. I will apply again on January 2017. Thank you for the post.
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

gennee

Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

GlobalPessimum

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone - John Maynard Keynes.
  •  

Lou-Emile

Yeah, being transgender is not by itself recognised as being a mental illness, atleast in Canada it isn't, but having gender dysphoria is. At least I think it is... I've spoken to my therapist about this and she said that there's no "Gender identity disorder", it's just the person's gender is diffrent, making them trans ... but dysphoria may be considered a mental issue.
  •  

Paige

Very interesting.  I would like to hear more opinions on this, as others have said it doesn't make sense.

Paige :)
  •