News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

An update on me...

Started by Michelle_P, October 15, 2016, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobynD

Congrats Michelle - Wow October 20th! -

I will get my date shortly but i suspect it will be a year plus out.

•  

Drexy/Drex

Quote from: Michelle_P on July 19, 2017, 08:20:06 PM
It's sort of mind boggling. I'd been primed by the various medical providers and therapists to expect a date out a year or more. To have the surgeons walk in after I was dressed and say, "How does October 20 sound?"  Well, this just blew my mind. 

So, I'm out at Original Joe's in North Beach celebrating.

Wheeee!

I only ate half the hamburger, so I can have dessert.   La Bombolina, affogato with Italian doughnuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome....!!!!  Congrats

Mmmmm that looks tasty  😉
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Michelle_P

Still chugging along...

I had my vaginoplasty 101 class today. We had presentations from the surgeon, including photos and diagrams, from the social worker on support, from the nursing team on post-op care, and from a couple of women who had surgery about 7 months ago.

Pretty cool, huh?

There's a lot of information to process, and it looks like I'll be very busy the next couple of months.   Step one will be assembling and briefing my support team. A test of friendship, if you will. [emoji77]

So, it's sunset, and warm. Rather than go cook I flaked out and am sitting at a sidewalk table at the downtown Panera having dinner. Nobody is even giving me a second look. Boring is good. :)

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Michelle_P on July 27, 2017, 10:43:09 PM
Pretty cool, huh?
More like pretty good. I couldn't enjoy my post surgical period because I was by myself and I was functioning beyond my limits for far to long. Having you put together a post surgical support team shows you just how well designed the program is and it will provide a far more enjoyable recovery period.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Laurie

Hi Michelle,

I am so happy that you are making steady progress toward your personal V Day. It sounds like Kaiser is well prepared to give you all the help they can. I am sure you will be able to assemble plenty for your support team with all you do in the community and church. From what you have told us there are many people that think a lot of you and what you do for them. I think I would have trouble assembling a team for myself. But that is because I am not open and friendly with people in my neighborhood. In fact I am just the opposite. But I'm sure that isn't a problem you have. You work too hard to be an active part of your community. YAY Girl! Good for you!
  Having a quiet comfortable meal in public is a good thing. It confirms how far you've come with your looks and behavior in fitting in with your surroundings. Congrats.

Keep up the good work Michelle. If you do happen to need some help let me know. You are not THAT far away.

Hugs,
    Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Michelle_P

I'm a tiny bit of an activist...

Today our congressional representative held a town hall meeting, and I got in the queue for Question Time.  Afterwards a friend told me she had recorded me on her phone and sent along the recording!

I owe Devlyn for pointing me to the roots for this question. 

Transcript:
MICHELLE:  I'm Michelle, a transgender veteran.
MICHELLE:  I fought for you.
* applause *
MICHELLE:  Will you fight for me?
MICHELLE:  I... We fought for all of you.
MICHELLE:  Will you fight for us?

I edited out anything party-specific or potentially sensitive beyond being a trans veteran for this forum.

Video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx6f_yxlFYtIUUFLdGVKQ3FMdTA

This was something I felt I had to do.

I was nervous, lost my proper voice.  I sound terrible, but at least I spoke out for us.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Devlyn

Nice work there! Thanks for representing us.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Laurie

I  Thank You Michelle, Bravo!!

I believe I could have stood up with you had I been there. But there in lies my personal problem in being an activist, I lack the initiative to get off my butt and go to those things. I am probably a bit too much of a emotion driven hot head too, as evidenced by my absence online after that man did that asinine tweet.  I left to calm down and I knew, had I stayed I would have made my anger known in inappropriate ways.

So Michelle, I applaud what you've done. It is always better to let cooler heads prevail.

Thank You Michelle

Hugs,
    Laurie

•  

Kendra

Michelle you are incredible.  We owe you - we really do.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Artesia

Thank you for this.  I would gladly join you up there.  Sadly, I am not in the right place.  My "representatives" are never anywhere near me.
All the worlds a joke, and the people, merely punchlines

September 13, 2016 HRT start date
  •  

Michelle_P

If we live in the shadows, trying to avoid being seen, it is easy for others to ignore us and disregard our humanity to create and perpetuate myths.   It's easy for others to make us out to be The Other, the Alien Among Us, a source of fear for the venal to use in accumulating power from the frightened.

There is an old phrase in Quaker history, which also appears in the early civil rights movement, in a letter by African-American civil rights leader Bayard Rustin.

Speak Truth To Power

The Quakers see this as a purpose of a religious group.  I see it as a task that falls to any group that seeks common cause, and opposes the use of power to promote selfish actions at the expense of others.

I identify strongly with other transgender folks, as the only people who can truely understand what our shared life experience is like.   The transgender community is my community, and honestly, more my family than blood relations who are incapable of understanding me. 

I'm not acting out of bravery.  I need to speak truth to power to try and defend my family.

•  

Laurie

•  

Michelle_P

I had some fun on Tuesday. I was on the train to group therapy, one stop away, when I got a call cancelling the session.  So, I could turn around and go back to 100 degrees weather or...

I stayed on the train into cool San Francisco. (I love this region!). A nice walk on the embarcadero, and spent my copay on dinner at Fog City Diner.

Very therapeutic!  Highly recommended for anxiety and tension!

Insanely busy trying to organize my support team prior to GCS. This turns out to be a way to discover who your true friends are. 

I've been meeting with folks offering to help out in the first few days when I'm home and largely incapable of doing much beyond using the bathroom.  They want details. I give them details. They either continue to want to help out, or back off, way off. "Maybe I'll visit after you settle in for a week or two...". [emoji849]

I met with one dear friend yesterday about noon to go over this stuff. We went out to lunch afterward, and wound up discussing other projects, philosophy, experiences, and metaphysics until 11:30 that night as we moved from place to place. We hung out for hours at a big park event and had a late dinner at a food truck.

That made for a wonderful day. I may be falling in love.

More formal meeting events today and tonight, and possibly a slower day tomorrow.

•  

Laurie

Hi Michelle,

Hope your day and night activities go or went well for you and hoping you have an enjoyable day to relax tomorrow.

My offer still stands should you find yourself still in need when the time comes. Like I said it might cost you a parking space and couch space. You are not that far.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Michelle_P

Had a long day, cleanup in the church kitchen, including a huge mess in one of the big stoves. Yuck!  Kept me busy and distracted, probably a good thing.

Now, I'm at Elisabeth and Melissa's place for a backyard concert (!) and 25th anniversary party. It gets me to thinking and hoping that someday I might find someone.

Still, it is wonderful to finish a long day and week with friends.

•  

Michelle_P

Finally home from church, and a surprise lunch and planning session with a committee chairperson and friend. Lunch doesn't usually go til 4PM, but...  [emoji6]

I finally wore that Tahini dress. Fits real gud...

I like it!  It both looks nice and is very comfortable. Not bad for a consignment store find.

Now I'm going to rest a little while before I start work on scripting the gender lecture. I think I'm going to start with other cultures and then show how the Western culture gender binary model is limiting, hence the newer terminology and language.

•  

Kendra

Michelle you're rockin' it!  WOW
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

jentay1367

Definitely cute on you and very flattering. Looks classy with the ballerina slippers.
  •  

Raell

I'm proud of your progress and courage, Michelle.

Also, reading your stories shows me how differently our brains are wired.

To me, church has always been torture. Being forced to wear dresses and shoes to church when I was a kid, and later on, following all those endless conventional social/religious rules drove me to distraction. But being a loyal little religious person, I put up with it, believing that's what I must do to please God.

But after my husband ran off with a younger woman, the entire church turned on me, kicked me out of all my church offices, and I became invisible if I tried to talk to my former friends, while they continued to socialize with my husband and his new lover.
I can totally believe the statistics that 85% of white evangelicals voted for Trump.

I also told my daughter that I would only attend a church that didn't blame "God" for children being abused and people dying of lung cancer, just as though people are helpless victims of God's whims, with zero responsibility.
I realized that in the churches I'd been attending, the only way to be accepted was to be white, straight, married, with 2.5 children, have a good job, drive a good car. The moment my husband left me, making me a single female, I was rejected.

We never found such a church in the US, but here in Thailand, the Buddhist temples welcome everyone, even animals and birds, with zero judgment.

Also, your enjoyment of eating out with the girls, shopping, etc. are things I considered torture and a waste of time. People who hang with me also love to hike, climb mountains, go wave riding in the ocean, go trail riding on horses, etc. I still dress androgynously, but pass as female.
  •  

Michelle_P

Aw, thanks, Kendra.  Lisa, I was just amazed at how that darn dress looked on me.  I have a pair of black sling back chunk heels that I thought would work best with it, but not for church.  The flats worked really well, though.

Raell, yes, of course we are wired differently.  I bet you'd like this church, though. We're considering removing 'Church' from the name. :)  I'm a Unitarian Universalist, and strongly agnostic (atheist is an unprovable belief system just as various Deist faiths and random god-botherers are.)  The religion promotes rational thought and is creedless, no vast rule book or list of mandated 'must believe' items.  God is definitely optional.  Our church is LGBT friendly, and very definitely welcoming

And yes, I do like being a woman.  I push my presentation and wardrobe a bit, just as much a perfectionist now as I ever was.  I find that by keeping my appearance 'on point' I keep misgendering to a minimum.  Simple jeans and t-shirt, no matter how nicely I fill them out, leads to misgendering.  (That's what I wore cleaning the big kitchen up on Saturday.)

•