Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

An update on me...

Started by Michelle_P, October 15, 2016, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

Thanks, KathyLauren!

Laurie, I've actually done presentations and classroom training for a long time.  I was an instructor for the US Navy Nuclear Power Program for two years, training everyone from junior enlisted personnel to flag admirals on nuclear power plant theory and operations.   I was an instructor at a tech company for a few years before moving into their software engineering team, and even while later working as an engineer I did technical presentations, at conferences like the NeXTworld Expo and Apple Worldwide developer conference. 

Since I retired, I've done presentations at everything from amateur radio clubs on physics and antennas, and even restoring old radios, to talking about marginalized people and transgender issues.  The "Gender: Beyond the Binary" is the first in what I hope will be a new educational series on LGBTQ related subjects.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Michelle_P on August 20, 2017, 09:22:53 PM
Thanks, KathyLauren!

Laurie, I've actually done presentations and classroom training for a long time.  I was an instructor for the US Navy Nuclear Power Program for two years, training everyone from junior enlisted personnel to flag admirals on nuclear power plant theory and operations.   I was an instructor at a tech company for a few years before moving into their software engineering team, and even while later working as an engineer I did technical presentations, at conferences like the NeXTworld Expo and Apple Worldwide developer conference. 

Since I retired, I've done presentations at everything from amateur radio clubs on physics and antennas, and even restoring old radios, to talking about marginalized people and transgender issues.  The "Gender: Beyond the Binary" is the first in what I hope will be a new educational series on LGBTQ related subjects.

Dang it Michelle, I knew some of that.  Sorry must have been my sometimers kicking in again.

Oh wait, strike that... This was my way of letting you tell everyone your list of fabulous credentials again. They bear repeating.
( yeah, that's the ticket. I'm sure everyone will believe this last part)

Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Michelle_P on August 20, 2017, 06:51:51 PM
40 minutes on gender, including the last 10 on transgender, and about 35 minutes of Q&A, of which about 20 made it to YouTube before the stream failed.  Then there was the hour of one-on-ones once the camera was off...

I'm gonna take a nap.

Standing applause Michelle! Absolutely awesome!

We haven't talked before, but I've binge-read your thread, and you, as with Rachel, Moni, Laurie, and so many others here, are my hero and role model. I wanna be just like you when I grow up (despite being almost 59 now).

Thank you.

Stephanie (pronouns she and her, just starting my journey)

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Michelle_P

Our A/V guru got most of the dropped Q&A session recovered and online!  I added that YouTube URL to the original post above.
https://youtu.be/Ww5qhq8eLwM

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

LizK

Loved it...well done...it sounds to me like you have been working on your voice. Your voice and the way you use it sounds great and very natural.
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: ElizabethK on August 21, 2017, 05:39:26 AM
Loved it...well done...it sounds to me like you have been working on your voice. Your voice and the way you use it sounds great and very natural.

Thanks.  Yes, I've been working on it.  I need to move the pitch up a little higher at my 'public speaking' volume, mostly a matter of strength building over time for those muscles that we use in speech pitch.  I was running around E3 for much of the talk, pushed it during Q&A to G3.  In conversation I try to get it around A3 with occasional swings above C4.

Much of the Q&A focused on trans issues, which I thought was interesting.  We had several trans people in the audience, as well as some other gender-variant activists, and we got some good back-and-forth dialogue going.  We actually went about 15 minutes over our time allocation, and the pesky stream dropped at the one hour point.  Our A/V Guru Carol Sue got it restarted, and I think we only dropped one Q&A.

I got the inevitable surgery question, and flipped that to a discussion of the many surgeries for FtM and MtF, the time and cost, and the different decisions people might make regarding surgery, as of course not all of us choose the same paths in our transitions.

It was a good experience for our audience, and I'm glad we got the recordings done.

•  

Jessica Lynne

Keep elucidating the muggles. You rock, girl!
  •  

Michelle_P

So far, so good.  The initial video has gone over very well, several other groups are considering adding it to their curriculum, and I've been asked to write some accompanying articles.  My team is starting preproduction for the next presentation.

The bad news is that I'm dead on my feet, still have to set up the support signup website for my GCS in October, and have to deal with the passport office tomorrow.  I did manage to get the picture done today after spending about 3 hours on the phone with other people on their projects.

I cannot believe how freaking busy my life has gotten recently.  I have to apologize for not being around here very much, and particularly for leaving the Moderation Team hanging.  I was relieved to see that they've hitched up a new Lorry of some sort to assist them.

•  

Michelle_P

Oof. Just finished up a massive electrolysis session. Jodie had to bump me from my usual Monday slots for personal business, but she actually opened up the business just for me today!  (I consider her a good friend as well as my electrolysis person.)

We went out to lunch at a neat little bistro between bouts.  That was pleasant, and a nice social break.

The best achievement of the day was having the entire right side of my face and neck cleared!  [emoji7]

I go back tomorrow to clear the South Pole and whatever else we can get to. I've got another 4 hours scheduled for Monday, after which I expect to retire my shaving equipment. [emoji313][emoji312][emoji75]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  

Kendra

On electrolysis I can definitely relate.  The procedure makes me wide awake without any coffee.  Although it is even more expensive than Starbucks. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

p

Wow, congrats on nearing the end of your electrolysis! I hope to be in your shoes some day soon!!!
Patti

Something is off - 2016-17
Out to husband - 2/14/17
Full-time - 3/9/17
HRT - 6/14/17
  •  

Michelle_P

Kendra, yes, the process definitely gets your attention! 

P, the good news is that as the mature hair is cleared, the new follicles are shallower and weaker.

In recent months my electrolysis person has been able to move to a smaller #3 probe insulated almost to the tip, and a lower current level. Today we re-cleared the South Pole and my upper lip in a single two hour session, using just EMLA cream, and nothing in the way of painkillers beyond a single naproxen tablet. No Norco or other such potent stuff, and honestly, there was barely any sensation except right the nostrils.

I was able to get through everything using music and conversation to distract me for the bottom work, and mindful meditation for the lip. The meditation allows me to let go of the sensation rather than hold and anticipate, which intensifies pain.

Next up is a speech I am giving Saturday to a political organization on transgender persons and the military. Should be a real stemwinder!  No details here, for obvious reasons.

•  

Laurie

Hi Michelle,

Good luck on Saturday. Neither of those audiences sound promising and I hope it actually turn out well for you there. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Laurie on August 25, 2017, 05:59:21 AM

Hi Michelle,

Good luck on Saturday. Neither of those audiences sound promising and I hope it actually turn out well for you there. I'll cross my fingers for you.

Hugs,
   Laurie

Thanks.  The speech's elements are coming together nicely.  The biggest question in my mind is if they'll let me finish.  Very, very interesting mix of people for this event, mostly LGB folks including some second-wave feminists.  I'm hoping I can tap my inner Julia Serrano.

•  

Michelle_P

I got through the speech, and am healing up nicely after almost 6 hours of electrolysis last week.  Naturally, I'm not done, and have another 4 hours tomorrow.  I expect to run out of hair to remove sometime tomorrow.  Anyone want to buy half a COSTCO package of razors?  ;D

After the speech I helped out on some other little projects, then went to a private meeting with our Congressperson to give a very short version of my little speech, the elevator pitch version.  That went well, and a aide requested copies of my data and speech.

Post with speech and links to supporting data

Gender studies area - Post of links to my gender speech and handouts, all tidied up

Oh, I finally got the auto insurance and auto club membership into my name.  It looks like the last try mysteriously vanished, but a friendly agent there got all the records in line.  Naturally, my rates went up.  Women drivers...

The cold that's been nagging at me seems to be fading away finally.  I'm going to try and get some sleep.

•  

Michelle_P

Meanwhile, on the medical front at Kaiser NorCal...

I have GCS scheduled for Oct 20 2017, about 8 weeks away.  That was an amazingly close date.

Unfortunately, while I have been evaluated for FFS, I am on a waitlist to be eventually scheduled for surgery when the calender opens up farther out.  The proposed surgery will be in two parts at least 6 months apart.

The kicker is that I will be forced onto Medicare in November 2018, in the Kaiser SeniorAdvantage program.  That means I'll have no coverage for FFS, and will wind up paying the full bill at 'list price' from Kaiser's Charge Master.  That's a six figure price!

It appears the current plan is effectively to 'wait and see' and eventually be declined as an uncovered treatment.   I'll be filing a complaint, but we know how effective that will be. 

I'm afraid I'll be looking into overseas travel to get FFS, perhaps Thailand or Spain.  I've filed for a new passport with the corrected gender and name.  The check to the State Department cleared today, so something is happening on that front.

Time to start digging through the FFS area and picking out possible destinations and surgeons.  Yuck.   Once again, I have to gamble with the rest of my life.

•  

Laurie

H there Michelle,

Congrats on the GCS date and Boooo! on Kaiser putting you off until after you on the senior plan. Well, there goes my liking Kaiser for a surgical option. I hadn't looked into it enough to see just what coverage the senior plan would cover and was liking everything they were doing for you up until now. I am already on Medicare and the VA does not do any surgery for transgender vets. then who knows what VA coverage may be canceled under this current administration. (and that's all I'm going to say along that line) Kaiser could be a little different up here in Oregon due to difference in state law. I will have to look into it.
Otherwise I haope all is well and your GCS plans are coming together.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Michelle_P

My US passport arrived today. Correct name and gender, good for 10 years. That removes a large class of obstacles.

I had my three month cancer screening today. No signs of the melanoma returning, all lymph nodes normal. I had the usual dozen or so questionable spots frozen off, and biopsy done of an active patch on the edge of an old excision site.   A general surgery may be needed to do a larger excision. Unfortunately it's on my chest just below the neck. Nice and visible.

I've got s few other things going on that may be relevant here as well. More in a few days.

•  

Kendra

Congratulations!
Michelle you are an inspiration.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Laurie

Congrats on the good screening Michelle. I hope the active spot doesn't turn into a bad spot. Also congrats on the passport.

Hugs,
   Laurie