Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

An update on me...

Started by Michelle_P, October 15, 2016, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailorMars1994

Okie dokie smokie!

Huggles-Ashley
AMAB Born: March 1994
Gender became on radar: 2007
Admitted to self : 2010
Came out: May 12 2014
Estrogen: October 16 2015
<3
  •  

SadieBlake

Congratulations on 5 months en femme! I'm well past a year RLE but my RLE doesn't involve passing. I'm quite envious of your looks.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Michelle_P

Hi, Sadie!  I dunno about passing, but I'm having quite the real life experience.

I'm on a bit of a break right now, but I should be back after I get some things taken care of.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

JeanetteLW

Welcome back Michelle. I missed you.

Jeanette
  •  

Michelle_P

This may have been my worst week since I started my transition.  I think maybe the gods noticed things were going too well for me, and decided to chuck a few lightning bolts in my direction.

It's all a bit of a blur by now, who with not sleeping for a couple of nights, but it was one heck of a week.  The good news is that it is past, I'm dong better, and am taking off on a little vacation for a few days.

I managed to get kicked from several directions.  Some folks I had been working with decided that since I objected to their plans for an upcoming event that I wasn't trans enough, and started a bit of a campaign.  That hurt.   Then I managed to mess up here, as Susan noted above.  I think my communication skills may need more work...  Then there was another exciting round of dealing with folks who mean well but just do not understand being transgender.

On top of this, I have a broken windshield and taillight on my new car.  That's annoying, and a pain to take care of.  The price for a windshield installed on this thing is just absurd.  But, it has to be fixed.

Worst of all was the results from my annual skin cancer screening.  There were two biopsies done this time.  Usually it turns out to be just another basal cell cancer, and it gets removed, no big deal.  This time, though...

There's an atypical fibroxanthoma on my scalp.  It's a slow growing thing, and Mohs surgery is called for.  On my forearm, I have a melanoma.  It's a Stage 1B, so we caught it small, but it is a fast grower. 0.7 cm,  0.85 mm thick, 3/mm mitosis.  Because its an aggressive little bugger we are doing a large elliptic excision on my forearm, and I'll be getting a tracer prior to surgery to identify the axial lymph nodes that the tumor area drains through.  There's a chance, about 10%, that cells the tumor shed may be stuck in the lymph nodes, so we will take a look.  The prognosis is excellent for a full recovery.

That doesn't mean I am not worried.

All of this piled onto me has led to sleepless nights, anxiety, depression...  Oh, heck, we all know the drill.  It ain't good.  By late Tuesday I had pretty much lost it.  Dena and later Cindy were up with me almost all night online talking me down.  (Thank you!  I'm not sure I would be around if it wasn't for Cindy.  I can't believe she did this for me with all she already has going on.  I just have the greatest respect for her.)

I spent Wednesday camping out at Kaiser, then made it to speech therapy, and finally with some friends.  I spent most of Thursday out in the sun, enjoying the "no overcast or rain", reconnecting with the larger human race, and Thursday evening with the folks at the local UU congregation for some sharing, decompression, and dinner.  Today I'm meeting friends for lunch and then going on a bit of a vacation to see my son.

(Speech therapy was interesting.  I'll write something up on that.)

So, I'm alive, doing better, and hope to be in more useful condition next week.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Rachel

I am very glad you are back  :)

Dena and Cindy are gems. I think about Cindy from time to time and hope for the best.

You are trans enough, nuff said.

I am sorry you had such a difficult week and glad you got through it.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

JeanetteLW

Hi Michelle,

Well heck, with all that going on I'd have a meltdown too. Won't say no more about it.

As for the skin cancer, I am guessing bi your "annual screening" you have been here before. I'm sorry to hear that. Anytime someone tells you you have cancer is a bad day. Your gut jumps right up into your throat and it puckers your backside. It is Terrible news, Period! It doesn't matter that it is treatable it still gets ya. And it is good news that yours is treatable though I'm not fond of chunks being cut out of you. (I'm missing a few internal ones myself) But it is very good they caught it early.
  I am also not happy with that 10% chance it may have migrated. Let's pray it has not. I will be doing just that for you.

I hope your getaway to see your son is a really good time for you. You could use a bit of that to recharge.

Hugs,
    Jeanette
  •  

jentay1367

Not enough xanax for that week. Be well, Michelle.
  •  

Michelle_P

I've been picking up the pieces and getting myself back together.  It's a slow process but I'm managing with some help.

First up, the surgery.  The removal of the tissue around the melanoma site and the sentinel lymph node biopsy are scheduled for the end of March.  I'll be scheduling the Mohs surgery for the scalp in a few days.  Something tells me I'm going to max out my out of pocket medical insurance deductible shortly.

I'm avoiding the toxic people, other than one family member.  I tend to walk off on her when she gets nasty.

My little vacation break has been great.  I visited with my son over the weekend in San Diego, and met some of his friends.

I did my two 2 hour electrolysis sessions today, and was able to use mindfulness techniques to detach from the zaps and let go of the discomfort, just being in the now in a sort of flow state.  Jodie thought I was just spaced out.  There's a difference?

Anyway, it has been three weeks since I shaved my 'muzzle', and it is now coated with a layer of fine villus hairs!  Jodie has been re-clearing this area every week, usually within the first session, and using the second session to break new ground.  I'm pretty rapidly approaching the point where I'll have had my first complete clear and all the work will be on culling awakening hairs and survivors.

I've got speech therapy tomorrow, along with a discussion group in the morning, and chairing a club meeting in the evening.  Wednesday I've got an appointment with the proverbial second psychologist to go over my competency to request surgery, and later in the day I have group.  More activities Thursday, and Friday I'll be helping out my mother-in-law.

Keeping busy helps.

•  

JeanetteLW

My gosh! Keeping busy is an understatement Michelle. I am glad the break was good for you. Time to breathe and regroup and all that. There there was being able to spend time with your son. That was likely the highlight of your break as it should be. My daughter and 3 of the grandkids are supposed to return from Iowa today. I'm glad they get to come home but I'm dreading it too. I'll give them several days to settle back in the I will see about visiting them for purposes of having "the talk" with her and her husband.
   I'm glad you are attending to the cancer issue right away. You cannot let those things slide. The one at the end of the month doesn't sound like fun at all.

Glad to have you back home and online with us again.

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

SailorMars1994

All these great thing! Keep them coming girl <3
AMAB Born: March 1994
Gender became on radar: 2007
Admitted to self : 2010
Came out: May 12 2014
Estrogen: October 16 2015
<3
  •  

KathyLauren

I'm glad you are staying on top of things, Michelle.

I want to thank you for a post you made a while back in this thread about how you deal with going about unshaved in preparation for electolysis while living full-time RLE.  It really helped me today.

I am not full-time yet, but I go to all my appointments dressed.  I suddenly realized a couple of days ago that I have an HRT checkup (today) followed by an electrolysis session (tomorrow), so I'd have to go to the checkup unshaved.  I got through today's appointment thanks to your post saying that basically this is just part of life as a trans-woman, so hold your head up and carry on.

That's what I did, and I felt fine.  :)  Thank you!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

LizK

Nice to see you are back and things went well on your break.. Hopefully you have been able to steer clear of Toxic people.
I just started my voice therapy and am just learning how to stretch my pitch and warm up properly...long way behind you...but it is one of things I don't actually mind playing around with.

Liz

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Michelle_P

I have been remiss in posting to this thread!  Let's see if I can catch up on the past week.

A week ago I had my first follow-up speech therapy session, via video conference.  I had a new headset so the voice connection would be nice and clean.  It was actually a fun session!  The therapist and her intern were on the other end, and the intern blurted out that I was totally passing after just a few minutes.  Wheeee!   I've been practicing, on everyone I can.  At church, on the phone, at appointments. 

I can be hard to shut up at times.  Note that I still need practice, as I want this to be automatic, not something that I have to intently concentrate on every phrase before I speak.  There are months to go even as I practice 24/7.

I chaired a meeting of our amateur radio club with about 40 people present, and let everyone know that elections were coming up, self-nomination is just fine, and that I would like someone else to please run for President, as I don't live in town any more, and feel odd about being a non-resident with keys to the city Emergency Operations Center.  It's not like I can get there if the bridge between my new home and old town goes in the next quake.  Better someone else takes on the job.  Besides, I'm busy enough as is.

Wednesday I had a meeting with a new therapist inside the Kaiser Multi-Specialty Transitions clinic to discuss my future plans. 😇  🙀   "So, do you usually wear a scarf?"  "That or a turtleneck, yes."  "Are you interested in..." "Surgeries?  Yes, please!"  So, after the usual rites and rituals were concluded, I am getting referrals for my trach shave and FFS.  I also had an intake phone interview scheduled to start my GCS process rolling.   YESSSS!

Then, I went off to my little group therapy session 70 miles away, in the town my old therapist had retired to.  That was a productive session, going over my recent little crash and some interpersonal issues.  Turns out two gals in group had some questions about me as well, being familiar with recent events in my life, so that session turned interesting.  Weird, but productive.  I came out of it with some good ideas on how to proceed in the future.

Thursday our LGBTQ Committee at the Unitarian Universalist church met to go over plans for our next little event, a celebration of the Transgender Day of Visibility on March 31.  That went OK, but I also had to share that my melanoma surgery is scheduled for that day, and I might not be able to make the event.  Bummer.  Getting the cancer under control takes priority, though.

Friday I had lunch with a few members of our local transgender social support group, lovely folks, and then went over to help out my mother in law.  There I rebuilt the mechanisms for the front door, a big slider that was sticking and too difficult for her to open. That was successful, and now the door slides, like buttah!   Then, a mature woman of French-Canadian ancestry sat down with a Hungarian immigrant to enjoy a traditional Irish corned beef dinner.  😇

Saturday was a Me day, with me taking care of all the stuff that had backed up during the week.  Paperwork, bills, cleaning, laundry, etc.  Boooooring...

Sunday was all church, and coffee service.  I was up at the Unitarian Universalist church.  During services, I trued using my new breathing control to sing.  I was loud, if not on key, and a few people around me noticed.  ☺   I did the usual coffee mug washing marathon during the coffee klatch afterwards.  I'm filling in there again next weekend, with a bit of a shortfall in our coffee volunteer staff.  I'm actually quite good at this.  Navy training...

Monday was Electrolysis Day.  My electrolysis operator had a birthday last week, and I brought in some things I thought she might like, a variety of mellow throat soothing herbal teas, and a couple varieties of chocolate with a bit of orange flavoring.  I am absolutely coinvinced that chocolate tastes better on estradiol.

Tuesday was mostly me puttering around, doing a bit of paperwork and walking to get my 10,000 steps in between rainstorms.  Made it.  This evening I tried a new therapy group, run by Kaiser MST over in Oakland.  This was a pretty good group session, lots of folks there, and fairly well structured and moderated.  I think I'll try it again in a few weeks.

•  

JeanetteLW

Hi Michelle

Sounds like a very busy  and productive week.  You also sound in a bit better spirits too.. That's a good thing.

Keep it up you're doing good.

Hugs
    Jeanette
  •  

Michelle_P

Keeping busy hells, as does human contact, and some therapy sessions didn't hurt. 

Today I had another video session with my speech therapist.  It seems to be down to practice, practice, practice.  I've got the pitch right, prosody is coming along well, so what I need to do now is just practice until what takes concentration now eventually becomes automatic.  I spent about 3 months working on pitch and trying to strengthen my voice in the new range before I saw the speech therapist.  With Dena's advice I had the technique down, so the rest of this comes down to doing the right exercises and having someone correct a few errors until I had it right.

The real test will be the next round of tech lectures.  It is far too easy to slip back into male didactic mode.  I'll be practicing some of Hermione's little speeches from the Harry Potter books, among other things!  I can use the audiobooks to check the speech patterns.  It's hard work, but fun!

•  

Rachel

I am so glad you are feeling better and back into your hectic swing of things.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

JeanetteLW

Michelle

"I'll be practicing some of Hermione's little speeches from the Harry Potter books"

I like that idea and it does sound fun.  I wonder what I would sound like with an English accent. hmmmm...

Hugs,
    Jeanette
  •  

Michelle_P

Those who know me know that I have some fierce dreams.  They got a little closer to reality today.

I had a phone appointment with a nurse at the Kaiser Multi-Specialty Transitions (MST) clinic today as a follow-up to my session with a therapist a few weeks ago.  As a result, I now have:

1) Appointment the week after next with the GCS surgical folks to set up my GCS, possibly with Dr. Salim.
2) Appointment for a FFS consult in May with Dr. Kleinberger, who works with Dr Shih and was trained by Dr. Speigel.

This is a major step forward for me.

•  

JeanetteLW

WOW!!! Michelle  Kaiser events are sweeping you away. Does it feel like floating on a cloud?  Did you pinch yourself to make sure it wasn't a dream?
That's really great Michelle I am happy for you.

Huge Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •