News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Smoking

Started by gothique11, November 03, 2007, 03:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lizbeth

Quote from: Sir Kyle on August 13, 2009, 09:17:15 PM
I have never smoked a cigarette in my life and I dont intend to. But good luck for anyone trying to quit

keep it that way :)
  •  

heatherrose

Quote from: Heather RoseI has been tar and nicotine free for almost two months.

:icon_tenisclap:

"I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?" - Fred Rogers
  •  

Cindy

Heather!!

Go girl. It should be getting easier by now. I've been ciggie clean for many years but it was damn hard to break. Someone told me, or I read, that giving up nicotine addiction is worse than giving up heroin. I've never tried (and never will) try heroin.
Interested if anyone has comparisons.
1) I still bite my nails, but less so than as young; don't ask me to define young.

I'm not sure if I have any other addictions, substance wise, I'll drink either tea or coffeee, like one or the other to start the day but not fussed.

BTW congrats to all of you giving up smoking   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hate kissing ashtrays but happy to kiss you'all

Luv
Cindy

•  

Janet_Girl

I can verify that this is the hardest thing that I have ever tried.  I fail at every turn.  I so want to beat this, but I become a raging Bi**h that even I can not stand.

Even now I need that nasty thing.

:'(
Janet
  •  

heatherrose

Your not quitting, your only stretching
how long you can go, between "Ciggys"

So far I've made it almost two months,
since smoking my last "fag"

:icon_mrhappy:

Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
  •  

LordKAT

Endo gave me prescrip for chantix. Hope it works or she won't give me T. I got to hear more sad stuff too.
  •  

Miniar

You guys are making me want a smoke!

I think I'll have a walk with my pipe on my way to work.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Chamillion

Quote from: CindyJames on August 14, 2009, 04:01:13 AM
Someone told me, or I read, that giving up nicotine addiction is worse than giving up heroin. I've never tried (and never will) try heroin.
Interested if anyone has comparisons.

Very interesting.  I've heard similar things about nicotine being the hardest to quit and all of that.  Personally I don't think this is related to the actual physical addiction of nicotine, but rather the habit of smoking cigarettes.  They're legal so they're easy to get, they're socially acceptable, and people get in habits with cigarettes like needing a smoke every time they're in a car or after eating or whatever.
I have never done heroin but I will say that I managed to quit coke, which is supposedly the most psychologically addicting drug (not physical tho) with only a few slip ups, but trying to quit smoking has been harder, even with this electronic cigarette.
;D
  •  

Cindy

Hi Chamillon

Congrats on giving up coke. You can do anything dude. Don't give smoking do what I did and what Heatherrose is doing. Just put off having the next ciggie. I've been putting off the next one for over 20yrs now.

Luv
Condy
  •  

heatherrose

Quote from: Chamillion on August 17, 2009, 01:06:52 AMI have never done heroin but I will say that I managed to quit coke, which is supposedly the most psychologically addicting drug (not physical tho) with only a few slip ups, but trying to quit smoking has been harder, even with this electronic cigarette.

Dude, I am the furthest thing from a "Former Smoker Nazi"
but if you want it, you can do it. I too, had a problem with the
"Nose Candy" along with anything else I might have been able to
ingest to achieve an altered state. I started smoking at the age of
eight years and started buying my own when I was thirteen.
At one point I was up to four packs a day
If I did it, you CAN too.

Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
  •  

Chamillion

Quote from: CindyJames on August 17, 2009, 01:11:55 AM
Hi Chamillon

Congrats on giving up coke. You can do anything dude. Don't give smoking do what I did and what Heatherrose is doing. Just put off having the next ciggie. I've been putting off the next one for over 20yrs now.

Luv
Condy

Quote from: heatherrose on August 17, 2009, 01:36:02 AM

Dude, I am the furthest thing from a "Former Smoker Nazi"
but if you want it, you can do it. I too, had a problem with the
"Nose Candy" along with anything else I might have been able to
ingest to achieve an altered state. I started smoking at the age of
eight years and started buying my own when I was thirteen.
At one point I was up to four packs a day
If I did it, you CAN too.

Thank you both very much.  That just putting off another cigarette seems like a good idea.  I've gone over a week without one by just putting it off, but when I mention the words "I'm quitting" it just kinda freaks me out.  Also congrats to both of you for giving up smoking
;D
  •  

tekla

Knowing people who have quit both, all three of them say that heroin is easier to kick than smoking.  And coke is not all that hard. But meth is.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

V M

Dang, I was going to edit my post but hit the remove button by mistake  :P

Anyway, I've cut down quite a bit on smoking. But it's been the hardest thing for me to quit
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Chamillion

Quote from: tekla on August 17, 2009, 07:57:16 PM
Knowing people who have quit both, all three of them say that heroin is easier to kick than smoking.  And coke is not all that hard. But meth is.
Yeah I would agree with meth being harder.  Where I said coke was supposedly the most psychologically addicting drug, I forgot to mention that in that study they didn't test meth but thought it would have shown similar results.  Basically, in the study, rats had a choice between coke and food, and would keep doing the coke until they died of starvation.  For all of the other drugs tested, the rats would eventually choose to eat to survive.  But considering meth is just like coke only 100 times more powerful and lasts like 12 hours instead of 20 mins, I would imagine it would be much harder to quit.

Sorry for taking this thread way off topic, I'll stop now.
;D
  •  

tekla

meth is just like coke only 100 times more powerful

No, they are not.  Totally different chemical compounds, with different effects that have differing psychological addiction rates.  Addiction to Heroin is very physical however, making it different. 

Heroin by the way is a trademark name, owned by the Beyer Corporation who developed it as a non-addictive substitute for morphine.  Oops.
  •  

Chamillion

Yeah I'm aware they're different chemicals lol, coke's not even an amphetamine.  All I meant by that statement is that they're both stimulants with similar effects, and meth's effects are stronger.  Not meant to be taken literally.
;D
  •  

tekla

I have to work around both of those, and its always good to know the difference before you bend over the mirror. And if your meth is only lasting 12 hours, you need a better dealer.  That's part of the trouble with it, its the energizer bunny of drugs.
  •  

heatherrose

Quote from: Chamillion on August 17, 2009, 07:22:00 PMI've gone over a week without one by just putting it off...

You freakin' rock!
~big hug and pat on the back~
Keep procrastinating.

Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
  •  

Mister

Quote from: tekla on August 18, 2009, 12:30:10 AM
Heroin by the way is a trademark name, owned by the Beyer Corporation who developed it as a non-addictive substitute for morphine.  Oops.

Yeah, and clearly methadone was supposed to do the same thing.  During my time on it as a pain drug, I kept hearing stories from everyone who said it was easier to quit heroin than to quit methadone.  I didn't believe it 'til my doc pulled me off cold turkey.  Pure hell, even at sub-opiate replacement levels.
  •  

V M

I ran out of cig.s last night. Normally I would go get a new pack. Not this time. Now I'm wondering how long can I go with out a smoke. I'm hoping to make quitting stick this time
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •