Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Can't get earrings off!

Started by KathyLauren, September 15, 2016, 08:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

I had my ears pierced a couple of months ago.  They used a gun-type thing to fire the studs through my earlobes.  I have taken care of them like the instructions said: keeping them in for six weeks (or more), rotating and cleaning them daily.

Now I want to remove them to put on some real earrings, but I can't get the back clippy-thing off the stud.  I have pulled and pulled, and got my wife to help me, but it's a no-go.  It's like the clips are welded onto the studs.  I can't apply any more force without risking tearing my earlobes off.

Any ideas for how to remove them?  As far as I can tell, the clip should just pull off.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Devlyn

Play with a pair that aren't in your ears to get a feel for what it takes to remove the back.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Dena

It's possible a little blood made it's way in there making it stick. You could try soaking the areas to dissolve the blood. Another option would be instead of pulling the clip off, try to rotate it to break it lose. I assume you are not worried about keeping them so when twisting them, more force could be applied. A last thought is you could go back to the place were they were installed and see if they know how to remove them.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

sigsi

As weird as it sounds, I had my dad use pliers to get my earrings out. I have high anxiety/panic attacks, and didn't take them out of my ears for 7 years. My one earring backing was also pushed too far on the post (it went past the few notches at the end) as well as the jewel part pulling into the front of my earlobe.

He pushed the earring forward a bit in order to grab the jewel, steadily held it with the pliers and slowly twisted and pulled back on the back of the earring. It came off within a few minutes.

It was a giant production, but as a last resort this might help. They were small pliers by the way. Good luck.

----------
Added: Also note that my earrings had the clear circle backings that were about the size of a dime. I can't remember how the clip ones actually came out (I think they had to be pinched while turning and taking them out?), but yeah we used pliers for those as well 7 years back. Be careful not to pull too hard as you don't want your hands to spring back together after the earrings lets lose.
To be who you want to be 
and generally happy,
 is better than to be who you're not 
while living in mental pain.
  •  

Shadow Wolf

It seems you may need to find a tattoo/piercing parlor (that is clean and has a good reputation) and have them look at it. They have a background and knowledge in piercing/jewelry mishaps, and will often know of tricks to get even the most stubborn things out. And I wouldn't go back to where you got them, because if they are using a gun for the piercings it is likely they do not have the knowledge or training that an actual body piercer will have.
  •  

AoifeJ

Can you go back to the place where you got your piercings, or even a different tattoo/piercing place near you? It should be a pretty easy thing for them to take care of for you, probably free of charge.
  •  

Jacqueline

I had my left ear pierced in college three times(I was performing in roles that required it). Finally I got smart and just kept it.

I remember one of the times having a real tough time with it. Those type are really tight to get off the first time. If you all are having so much troubles, I would weigh in on the going back where you had it done. If they are unable to help then you might try the tattoo piercing studios.

Good luck,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Emileeeee

Yikes I had mine done several months ago and never went out looking for a replacement, so I never tried to take them out. I can't get mine out either!
  •  

KathyLauren

Thanks for the ideas.

After Googling the subject, it seems that this is a really, really common problem.  The piercing studs are designed to not come off, since you have to keep them in for six weeks.

Someone even made a YouTube video on how to remove them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3714245759&feature=iv&src_vid=_5ja1aNaO3c&v=xMZqirF5sh8.  The video basically suggests some tools that someone else can use to remove the backs: the technique is just to pull with the tool.

I have seen a couple of suggestions that some of the piercing studs are threaded and that they unscrew.  Mine don't seem to want to do that, so I assume they are not that type. 

The most common suggestion is to go back to where I got them done and have them remove them.  I think I'll do that.  If they can't do it, I'll try a tattoo / piercing shop.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

KathyLauren

Update:

I went back to the place where I got my ears pierced and they removed the studs.  They found the backs hard to get off too, and one of them almost didn't come off at all.  I was sure they were going to have to use power tools!

I'm not putting those studs back in, in case I have trouble with them again, so now I have to get a new set to wear while in boy mode.  The ones I am wearing now are a bit girly for everyday wear at the moment.
  •  

Lily Rose

Quote from: KathyLauren on September 25, 2016, 04:31:01 PM
power tools!

lol i would throw those away now that you do not need them.

thank you this is good to know and reminds me of trying to do this myself when i was a kid. using what was suggested to me. ice cube, bar of soap, and a needle. got the needle through, tried to get the stud in and gave up because of the pain.  :D
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Emileeeee on September 16, 2016, 03:15:12 PM
Yikes I had mine done several months ago and never went out looking for a replacement, so I never tried to take them out. I can't get mine out either!
I had a few replacements ready to go the day they told me I could change them.  No troubles getting the backs off but had trouble getting the new earrings through the holes.  Put the originals back in and left them another couple of weeks and now no problems.  Been wearing a pair of studs with a small round purple jewel even in boy mode and no one has commented. Makes me wonder if anyone pays attention to me.
  •  

Lily Rose

Quote from: TonyaW on November 30, 2016, 08:10:38 AM
Been wearing a pair of studs with a small round purple jewel even in boy mode and no one has commented. Makes me wonder if anyone pays attention to me.

you are just a old fashion gal with those studs is all.
if you want attention:
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: TonyaW on November 30, 2016, 08:10:38 AMBeen wearing a pair of studs with a small round purple jewel even in boy mode and no one has commented. Makes me wonder if anyone pays attention to me.
Weird, ain't it?  When I shaved my beard off, people were stunned, and one person literally didn't recognize me.  But getting my ears pierced and wearing silver studs in them - I don't think anyone has ever noticed.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Lily Rose on November 30, 2016, 08:30:53 AM
Quote from: TonyaW on November 30, 2016, 08:10:38 AM
Been wearing a pair of studs with a small round purple jewel even in boy mode and no one has commented. Makes me wonder if anyone pays attention to me.

if you want attention:

Holy iguana, Batman! I wonder how long it takes the cell phone makers to figure out that they can market a gauge phone?  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Rachel_Christina

Haha I had this problem too, nearly passed out trying to get em out lol.
Then i had to cut a set of sleepers out with pliers. Its all fun though!

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Lily Rose on November 30, 2016, 08:30:53 AM
if you want attention:

That's awesome  but not for me.  Some big hoops is about a far as I go and then only when in full girl mode.
  •