Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

eyebrow tweezing and makeup kits?

Started by Lily Rose, December 01, 2016, 04:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily Rose

have been looking for either both in one or separate. have found a few makeup kits but
not really sure what shade to get. have seen two shades darker (i think) because my hair is brown to blonde depending how much sun i get. think i need waterproof due to sweat.

can not seem to find a tweeting kit. is this something i would need to put together myself? really would like to make them look better and have tried clippers in the past and well LMAO  :laugh: did not turn out so well.

have seen a few youtube videos and they do make it look easy. really fear trying it though because if i do get the first one good, doubt the other will match. any suggestions would be very appreciated.
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

Michelle_P

Color matching can be tricky.  Besides lighter and darker, there can be tints in the honey or ruddy direction with lots of different names.  Your best bet is to go in to a specialty store or the cosmetics department of a big department store, and ask for help.  It's OK.  They see men in there all the time, buying for themselves.  They can point you to s good foundation color and a set suitable for your eyes.

I'd suggest asking for an 'everyday' or office look, to avoid someone selling you a color set too dramatic to use when you are trying to pass.  (A big mistake I see; Max drama colors on a beginner sort of screams the wrong message.)

These are also good places to pick up a nicer eyebrow tweezers.  I prefer angled tip ones, which I use with a magnifying mirror.

Just for fun, here's my makeup drill:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,217010.msg1921004.html#msg1921004
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Lily Rose

Michelle-thank you,

probably going to try and find everything individually and put together my own set. can build a little box maybe with a built in mirror. that would be something i can do at least lol. no master carpenter by any means but maybe this is one project i wont half ass. kind of like a eyebrow shaping station.

did see your thread "Just for fun, my makeup drill" and can see myself down the road finding that one again. for now just trying to do things that will make myself  feel better. have not come out to anyone but myself there are no plans of going full blown me lol. do not necessarily want to go "stealth", and do not think i will care if someone notices me trying to improve myself or my look.

again thank you  :angel:
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

– Yoda

– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
  •  

kittenpower

And to add to what Michelle said; if you buy makeup at CVS or Walgreens and you're not happy with it for any reason after you try it, they will let you return it or exchange it where I live, but It may be the company policy for all of their locations. I'm not sure if department store will allow you to return open/used makeup though. And yes having a makeover at a department store is very helpful, as they will show you how to apply makeup, tell you what your skin tone is (warm, cool, or neutral) which will determine which colors you should use, and tell what your face shape is (this will also help you determine which brow shape is best for you, and also which hairstyles are most complimentary for you). It's ok if you feel uncomfortable as long as you are in a safe environment; remember this is your life and you have a god given right to be happy, so don't let the fear of what you think others may think or say hold you back from your happiness. It's true that people are curious if they have never seen a trans person, or they may be a little uncomfortable if you are buying makeup dressed as a guy, but that's ok it's a learning experience for them and for you, and transitioning is all about ripping that bandaid off  ;D so you can live as your true self.
  •  

Lily Rose

thank you kittenpower, meow

my skin tone is light and hair, to me looks dark (more of a light-ish brown) when i have not been in the sun. was looking at them in the mirror (ugh). the outside ends the hair is so light can barely be seen. the left one has hardly any hair at the end not sure if my experiment with clippers maybe removed some hair. just very scared of plucking to much and if i do succeed at reshaping them. do not think i would be to fussy at least not now what color, just need them to pop a bit because without the make up when they are short the ends can not be seen. just do not want to dark lol that would look funny.

b.t.w. if you like comedies you may like "super troopers" there is a seen that on a dare one of the troopers has use the word meow as often as possible. i thought it was hilarious.
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

– Yoda

– Lily Tomlin

•  

kittenpower

Quote from: Lily Rose on December 02, 2016, 09:47:31 AM
  thank you kittenpower, meow
b.t.w. if you like comedies you may like "super troopers" there is a seen that on a dare one of the troopers has use the word meow as often as possible. i thought it was hilarious.
That does sound funny, but I hope they weren't unknowingly saying things they didn't mean [cats were like "oh yeah, well how would you feel if I said that to you?" Or, "haters gonna hate". Or, "thanks for the compliment, but I'm married"   :laugh:]
  •  

Lily Rose

Quote from: kittenpower on December 02, 2016, 11:59:29 AM
That does sound funny, but I hope they weren't unknowingly saying things they didn't mean [cats were like "oh yeah, well how would you feel if I said that to you?" Or, "haters gonna hate". Or, "thanks for the compliment, but I'm married"   :laugh:]

meow listen to me ma'am. they not hating. :laugh:

edit: that don't make much since lol you just got to see it.
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

– Yoda

– Lily Tomlin

•  

Selenakyle

The Benefit brow kits are incredible, and if you're more into the natural look, NYX makes a really thin brow pencil that you can use to draw the hairs on individually. There are some really great brow tutorials on YouTube. Just make sure to keep the thicker inner areas of the brows softer. As far as tweezers go, invest in good ones- they'll last you a lifetime.  Choose a color a few shades darker than your hair, and if you have cool undertones pick a warmer shade and go with a cooler shade of you have warm undertones. Tweezerman tweezers are awesome, and they have a lifetime guarantee. There's nothing worse than trying to pull out a stubborn hair with a dull set of tweezers. And don't over pluck!  I did and my eyebrows never grew back. I had to get microblading eyebrow tattoos to cover the over plucked mess I had.
Hope this was helpful!
  •  

Lily Rose

Quote from: Selenakyle on December 20, 2016, 12:04:31 PM
if you have cool undertones pick a warmer shade and go with a cooler shade of you have warm undertones.

thank you, Selena

not sure what you mean "undertones" and cool vs warm.

think almost any shade would be better than what my natural color is. the tips are finally growing back after maybe a year ago going to far with clippers, they are very blonde almost white. saw a youtube video about using "just for men" beard die for eye brows. guess it is better than regular hair die because not so many fumes.

as for the tweezers, actually got some cheapys for now. if they need to be reshaped and or sharpened, that is one thing learned from a life i did not want  :-\.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111993875089?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thank you  :)
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

– Yoda

– Lily Tomlin

•  

Selenakyle

Quote from: Lily Rose on December 21, 2016, 08:24:34 AM
thank you, Selena

not sure what you mean "undertones" and cool vs warm.

think almost any shade would be better than what my natural color is. the tips are finally growing back after maybe a year ago going to far with clippers, they are very blonde almost white. saw a youtube video about using "just for men" beard die for eye brows. guess it is better than regular hair die because not so many fumes.

as for the tweezers, actually got some cheapys for now. if they need to be reshaped and or sharpened, that is one thing learned from a life i did not want  :-\.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111993875089?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thank you  :)

Your undertones are how warm or cool your skin is. If your skin has a yellow hue, you have warm undertones and you should use a cooler/ashy color. If your skin is pinkish or blueish underneath, you should use a warmer color, like a richer brown or one with reddish tones, to offset your skin tone.

I've dyed my eyebrows with Just For Men!  Make sure to smear a liberal amount of Vaseline under your brows so the fumes don't get into your eyes and apply the dye with a toothbrush :)
  •  

Lily Rose

just got the tweezers and see why they were cheap :P there is a gap at one end. some fine sandpaper should fix them and they be great.
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

– Yoda

– Lily Tomlin

•  

Lily Rose

Quote from: Selenakyle on December 21, 2016, 09:12:00 AM
Your undertones are how warm or cool your skin is.

would nail beds be a good way to identify natural undertone?
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

– Yoda

– Lily Tomlin

•  

Wanda Jane

I've found the Revlon scissor style tweezers are the bomb. Also I had mine waxed to get a good shape. P.S. My avatar was pre wax. lol. An 8x mirror and I can get the new growth between waxes. I'm color blind, red/green, so I have to stay simple with color. I use quads for night out stuff because it matches well and stick with browns and charcoals. For everyday I use a taupe single shadow on lid and crease then pull my eyelids up a little apply the mascara to the bases only to get a nice lash line. A touch of concealer and perfecting or bb cream under the eyes brightens and helps offset the hooded upper eye.
  •  

DawnOday

Get them done professionally to eliminate the too thin, too scraggly look. If you download Groupon there are lots of discounts. For example one of the shops in my area is offering 3 tinting treatments for $48 that's 52% off  another is $19 per treatment regularly $35. There is also 3D microblading for $174 regularly $425. If nothing else, go once to learn how to properly do it.  Not an endorsement of Groupon. We just need to save money to spend on ourselves. :angel:
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•