Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

After your Legal Name Change do you lose your savings bonds?

Started by Raye, January 06, 2017, 11:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raye

So this year by March 2017 I'll have my legal name change done. My question is would I lose the chance to turn in my Savings bonds 20 years down the road upon final accrual date. Or with the name change would I lose all ownership over my savings bonds? Has anyone been reissued a new SSN after their Legal/Gender Marker Changes?
Hai Der! =^.^=
They/Them
He/Him
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Raye on January 06, 2017, 11:01:33 AM
So this year by March 2017 I'll have my legal name change done. My question is would I lose the chance to turn in my Savings bonds 20 years down the road upon final accrual date. Or with the name change would I lose all ownership over my savings bonds? Has anyone been reissued a new SSN after their Legal/Gender Marker Changes?
You won't lose your bonds.

When you change your name and gender marker, you'll get to spend an exciting day at the Social Security Office.  Fill out an SS-5 form :

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

You'll be applying for a name change, and to get them to update the secret gender marker in the Numident  (SS-speak for your file).  You will keep the same SS number.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/2856/How-do-160-I-change-my-160-gender-on-160-Social-Security-s-records

Bring your current ID and the court order for the name and gender change.  The full set of documents they'll accept and want is at that link.

When you go to cash out or electronically deposit the bonds at TreasuryDirect, you'll need the old documents like your court order to get Treasury to accept that new you is entitled to old you's bonds.  It's just another alias to them, and there won't be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Raye

Meh I doubt the Gender Marker would be changed any time soon, but that's some really nice info! Thanks Michelle! ^^ -hugs-
Hai Der! =^.^=
They/Them
He/Him
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Raye on January 06, 2017, 11:40:36 AM
Meh I doubt the Gender Marker would be changed any time soon, but that's some really nice info! Thanks Michelle! ^^ -hugs-

It's easier than you think to qualify for getting the gender marker changed.  They went a court order OR a certified letter (i.e., signed in ink on the doctors letterhead) from a licensed physician saying:
Quote(Physician's Address and Telephone Number)
I, (physician's full name), (physician's medical license or certificate number), (issuing U.S. State/Foreign Country of medical license/certificate), am the physician of (name of patient), with whom I have a doctor/patient relationship and whom I have treated (or with whom I have a doctor/patient relationship and whose medical history I have reviewed and evaluated).
(Name of patient) has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to the new gender (specify new gender, male or female).
I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the forgoing is true and correct.
Signature of Physician
Typed Name of Physician
Date

"Appropriate clinical treatment" gives some wiggle room.  Generally, being on HRT is sufficient, and no surgeries are required.  I know a lucky few who have had their getting therapy defines as "appropriate clinical treatment".  Ask your endocrinologist for a letter.

In some states like California, if you do the name and gender change at the same time, the state seals the old records, and a court order would be required to get to your deadname drivers license or birth certificate.  There's no clue on the new license or birth certificate that you were ever any other gender or name!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •