Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Update on Phallo with Dr. Rachel Bluebond-Langner at NYU Medical

Started by CMD042414, January 10, 2017, 11:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMD042414

Everything but the implant if you want one. I am STILL waiting for Ting's team to get back to me so that I can actually meet with him. I don't know for sure but I think his method has size limitations based on the patient's weight and thickness. I'm a thin guy and I can't see how I'd have enough tissue down there to create a 7 inches in length and 5 inches in girth. If I am wrong and he can do that I would probably go to him.
Started T: April 2014
Top Surgery: June 2014
Hysterectomy: August 2015
Phalloplasty: Stage 1-August 2018
  •  

Tae_C

Yeah the size concerns me cause I want that too but I can't imagine how they would do it tbh , but idk if you're in the Facebook group its called ,ftm surgery support group- ting phallo. You can ask questions to Dr.ting there too an there's a bunch of answered questions already .
  •  

Tae_C

>:( I just got in touch with Dr.ting to ask about ALT phalloplasty and he literally told me he has never done alt phalloplasty so I assume he's only done rff ... So I guess he's over my list of potential surgeons , I'll for sure be speaking to Dr.bluebond-langner instead.
  •  

Tae_C

If I may ask, do you have Dr.bluebond-langer's email? I would like to contact her with some questions but dont want to call her directly.
  •  

CMD042414

He doesn't do ALT huh? Cuz the website says he does. Interesting. Dr. B-L doesn't have an email. Once you are an established patient you can message her from the NYU Langone patient portal. You'll have to set up a consultation with her.

https://nyulangone.org/doctors/1902867393/rachel-bluebond-langner
  •  

Tae_C

Yeah nah ,I asked him about alt and he says he hasn't done it... And I want to ask her a question before getting a consultant though.. Because I dont want meto as a first stage, I would like phallo with urthrel lengthening . I'm afraid that if I dont ask her before the consultant, I would have wasted time if she says I have to get meto.. Because I know that you got phallo first stage but I want to know is she really able to do that for anyone..
  •  

CMD042414

Try calling the office and asking. You'll probably have to leave a message and wait for someone to get back to you. My biggest issue with all of these surgeons is how busy they are and how long they take to respond.
  •  

Tae_C

•  

SaerJoe

Quote from: transnomad on February 16, 2018, 01:25:39 PM
Dr B-L is an amazing surgeon. I met with her & her team multiple times — but after so much research I definitely chose Dr Ting & his team at Mt Sinai. His new procedure is so revolutionary by not using large skin grafts/muscle tissue — but instead using the labia & genital skin to create the penis really blew my mind. The surgery lasted 14 hours but I got everything I asked for... instead of endless surgeries lasting well over a year. For me, that would have been too much. And the pain alone... & of course, complications... glad I chose Dr Ting. He was the right surgeon for me. I actually had a surgery date locked in with Dr B-L...it would have been last Nov 30th... but her team was so frustrating & difficult to contact. They never called me back or kept me on track with all the necessary aspects to prep for. I called so many times about electrolysis & no one ever called me back to schedule dates/times. Not to mention they couldn't guarantee Medicaid would pay for it. So NYU in general would have additional out of  pocket costs. But with all that said, I still think she's an amazing surgeon. Good luck to you guys!

Welcome back, transnomad!  How goes the healing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

Tae_C

My issue with Dr.tings new procedure is I feel like he isn't answering certain questions that many people would like the answer to.. It worries me but as far as your procedure what did you get in the first stage and how are you doing with recovery
  •  

Tae_C

By the way were you able to get all stages within one surgery with his new procedure?
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: Tae_C on February 26, 2018, 10:30:37 AM
My issue with Dr.tings new procedure is I feel like he isn't answering certain questions that many people would like the answer to.. It worries me but as far as your procedure what did you get in the first stage and how are you doing with recovery
What questions has he not answered? This is interesting.
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: Tae_C on February 26, 2018, 11:13:41 AM
By the way were you able to get all stages within one surgery with his new procedure?
I believe all of the major work is done in one stage. Stage two would be optional erectile device and glans possibly. Remember Ting is not taking from another donor site so it is easier to do all in one. I could be wrong though.
  •  

Tae_C

Multiple people have been asking what is done in each stage but have yet to be answered.. There's one person in the group who has had stage 1 but only discussed is recovery with his donor site and when I asked what was done in stage one he kinda blew off the question and said that since he was one of the earlier patients the new procedure has been changed so he can't really say what's in stage one since it may have been changed.. But didn't tell me what was done for his.. Also people want to know about how you can get sensation without nerve hook up since dr.ting isn't doing nerve hook up but says a patient he operated up went in for a check up an stated he has sensation after 2 weeks.. But has yet to say is the sensation from the phallus or buried clitoris and if its erotic sensation or just regular sensation.. ALSO , dr.ting says the donor site is from I believe the abdomen muscle ,he takes 1/3 of it but that doesn't really explain how the phallus gets blood flow. What artery is he taking if nothing is taken from the thigh or forearm.. Its a very unstable topic and there's no pictures posted by the people who got the first stage.. If this new method is so wonderful you'd think patience would be glad to talk about their recovery and show their results and healing like how patience of dr.Chen post things everywhere but not patients with dr.ting... Its very scetchy so unless I start seeing pics and post and more info I dont trust anything.. As far as stages though everyone keeps saying its in multiple stages and dr.ting is saying he DOESNT do erectile device.. He takes fat from the body an puts it in the scrotom..
  •  

CMD042414

I met with Ting's nurse practitioner and she said the piece of abdominal muscle creates a good amount of rigidity so that an erectile device is not needed. But i am sure at the time she said a device could be put in if desired. I was not aware that there is no nerve hookup. I was excited about the use of pelvic and inner thigh tissue to create a phallus because it is already sensitive to erotic sensation but what is the point if there is no hookup?

I don't understand how this method works for guys on the thinner side like myself either. I don't have a ton of tissue to work with so size would be greatly impacted I'd think.

A big upside with Ting for me being an out of towner is that he utilizes a NYC surgical recovery center for the entire aftercare. You're up there for 4 damn weeks stage 1. So I asked Dr. B-L's office about this and they did not have good things to say about the only such center in the NYC metro area that Ting uses. According to her office the facility ia fine and the folks are nice but they aren't versed in trans surgeries at all which she finds concerning. So who knows. They all say the opposite of one another and it is impossible to know what's right. I'd suggest getting in to see Ting if you want concrete answers.
  •  

Tae_C

If using the above muscle makes it able to be used for penetration with an ED that's awesome. But dr.ting has said your length is impacted by your anatomy which I dont think has been explained into great detail either.. This worries me because I'm skinny and I dont want to end up with a 4 incher just cause of that.. I'll be devistated and probably fall into depression.. Smh this is so hard because I dont want to waste my time but I also want clarification.. Idk whether to take the chance with this so called amazing new method or stick to a surgeon who does something I understand but I can't get in contact with what so ever before hand cause I don't have my referral letters yet so I can't make a consultant.. The fact that dr.ting is available for discussion makes me want to pick him but I'm shying away from the new method... So its either go with a surgeon who I can't question before hand or go with a surgeon who I can but is doing something new..
  •  

CMD042414

Whether you can meet with a surgeon up front or not you have to have the letters to move forward with surgery anyway so in that regard there really is no difference. It is always a good idea to consult with multiple doctors to compare and have options. I've met with 2 and hopefully soon to be 3. I would meet with at least 5 if I had other surgeons in my region that don't require a flight.
  •  

Tae_C

True true but so far that I know of the closest ones to me are dr.ting and dr.bluebond .. But I personally dont wanna look into more because I get overwhelmed easily and I'm a very up and down type of person so putting more in my plate won't be good for me mentally.
  •  

CMD042414

•  

Tae_C

I was just told by some other trans guys that I have to have a hysto done before getting phallo. Is this true?
  •