Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Please read and help me if you can

Started by lilapthatsme, March 30, 2017, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilapthatsme

So as many of you most likely know, Aetna covers srs. Or at least that's what they like to say on their site. The truth is it varies plan to plan and my particular plan doesn't cover it bc the sponsor (my dads work) actually chose to have it not included. I talked to aetna about all of this and what my options were and they told me this:

What I can do is meet all of their criteria for srs (Most of which I already do, what I don't I'm currently working on), talk to the doctor and have them send the codes for the procedure to the insurance, and they'll say yes or no. If they say no, I was told I can file an appeal and basically meet with my insurance and explain why it should be covered.

I'm fairly confident that if they gave me a chance to talk with them and tell them why they should cover SRS, that I could get them to cover it. However this is going to be a lengthy process to get to there. Does anyone have experience going through all of this with Aetna after their plan initially didn't cover srs and then got them to cover it after filing an appeal? I would really like to get some advice from some people and hear what they did right and what they did wrong. If the insurance doesn't cover it, I'll never be able to afford srs. I'm a poor American with no college experience (or way to get a college education). This is pretty much all I got haha. Please help if you can.
  •  

Dani

Prior approval is absolutly a must have in order to get insurance to cover the surgery expenses.

My insurance is Blue Cross and Medicare. I ran into problems with both carriers and ended up paying out of pocket for surgery. Blue Cross denied the claim for surgery, but they did pay for HRT and labwork. The hospital flatly refused to submit my claim to Medicare, which stopped any coverage right there.

At this point, when some insurance carriers cover SRS and some do not, is to find an employer who has a policy that does cover SRS and go to work for them, if possible. Trying to appeal a denial is a time consumming ordeal and you may just be spending more money on lawyers than the surgery costs in the first place.
  •  

audreytn

make sure ALL of your surgery letters from your therapist and endo state that it is MEDICALLY NECESSARY for you to have this procedure. This will go a long ways towards things working in your favor.
  •  

Gail20

Interesting things going on with the hospital refusing to submit your claim to Medicare . . .

That is a clear violation of Medicare rules. Hospitals who take Medicare are obligated to take Medicare for EVERY patient and every procedure . . . and every Hospital accepts some Medicare patients today.

Likewise, any doctor who accepts just one Medicare patient is then obligated to take EVERY Medicare patient that presents themselves in the future. This is why some successful practices wont take any Medicare patients.

Also, in theory, its against the law for someone to pay for a procedure that Medicare covers.
"friends speak for you when you can't speak for yourself" :)
  •  

Deborah

I was a state licensed seller of medical insurance once.  If this procedure is not on your policy then I think the likelihood of them paying for it is nil.  Their first concern above all else is making money so they will not pay for anything that they are not legally obligated to pay for.

Conform and be dull. —James Frank Dobie, The Voice of the Coyote
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Brooke

I'll also jump in here.

I don't have experience with Aetna, but I do have tons of experience with medical insurance coverage for procedures and services that are not covered.

First bit of advice, know what you are getting yourself into- know the game.

Insurance companies are counting on you giving up. If you're patient and diligent you have a much better chance.

You have to prove medical necessity, and any harm that is occurring due to not being able to have the surgery.

The letters from your providers need to be in network. Talk with your gender therapist about a recommendation.

Find the Aetna surgeons who are contracted for GCS. I know it's not on your plan but at least there is a relationship set up between the surgeon and carrier.

Once you've found the surgeon and have the letters/requirements from insurer in place  try to get a referral for a consult. Make sure to ask the surgeons billing department to confirm the consult is covered by insurance. If it's not work on that auth for consult.

Okay, you've had the consult, you like the doctor, and want to proceed. Have the surgeons billing department submit for a prior authorization/PA.

Expect a Denial letter within 30 days.

Make copies of the Denial letter, letters of medical necessity, proof you have met Aetnas requirements for GCS. 

Also make sure that you have the letter of recommendation, and specific procedures with icd10 billing codes and diagnosis codes for gender identity.

Check your polices guidelines for any guidelines of coverage being determined by medical necessity. If you find it, send in that section with a bit.ly link adhered to it- for full text, and context.

Print out the updated wpath medical necessity guidelines and include in the 1st appeal.

Check the Denial letter for exact verbiage of the non coverage decision and address that in your appeal letter with any additional documentation, or the resources from above.

Send in the appeal and again, expect a Denial letter. This letter may contain different verbiage for the Denial reason.

If the denial reason listed is "not covered by your policy " check your full policy for anything related to care approval based on medical necessity or what the insurance companies procedure is for services/procedure not listed. Often there will be guidelines for rare conditions and what needs to be done for auth.

At this point you may be looking at a fair hearing, or review.

Prepare with everything that you can. Full wpath SOC, all letters etc. Look around for pretext  or precedents that others have used in similar situations with private insurance. What was their key evidence/strategy.

At this point you may also want to contact the transgender law center for advice and additional resources.

The biggest take away is most of the time persistence, patience and diligence pays off.

For every day that your insurance company doesn't have to pay out, that is money that can be invested, earning them returns.

Learn how to become a professional hoop jumper. Don't take it personally, and make sure you have covered every angle in your case. If they find an undotted I or uncrossed T they will exploit it.

Most people don't get coverage because they give up, get frustrated, or don't want to wait for the entire process to be completed.

The 3 Ds of insurance.
Defer
Deny
Delay

You know the game now. If you can play by their rules and understand their logic, you have a far better chance than most.

I have done this with my own rare health conditions and have won almost every time. (Prolly 18/20 appeal processes).

I'm currently in a similar process for hair removal and surgery.

Good luck!
Brooke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •