Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

SRS = Genital Mutilation according to Slate.com

Started by Nikki, August 29, 2007, 09:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisbeth

Then so is circumcision.  It should be banned except for religious reasons.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Nero

Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Lisbeth on August 29, 2007, 11:56:07 AM

I wish I had that bit of raw material...  But, NO!  My mom had to bow to societal pressure.

Kind of the way it is in countries where FGM is practiced.

If a young American girl was held down by four big strong men while a fifth took an unsterilized blade and started hacking off the tip of her clitoris, her inner labia, and then sewed her outer labia shut while she screamed in pain, the only question in our minds would be is the death penalty enough.

Times it by several million, and now it's not so bad -- it's a cultural thing...

How does THAT work?

Karen

www.circumcisionquotes.com  images  stangcircchair.jpg
  •  

Dennis

I liked how many of the commentors said "well duh. Sex is good if it's with your consent. It's a crime if it's without your consent."

It's a perfect analogy. If someone grabbed a bio male and performed SRS on him without his consent, of course it would be a crime. And Female Genital Mutilation is a crime. Nullification, if someone biologically female chose it, would not be. And that is the closest analogous surgery I can think of.

Dennis
  •  

Jaynatopia

Good point!

Quote from: Lisbeth on August 29, 2007, 11:56:07 AM

Also, if medical professionals deem as medically necessary then there is no reason to deny it. Additionally regarding mutilation: that can be said about many procedures then. Essentially it comes down to the fact that as individuals we have autonomy over our own body.
  •  

Keira

Actually, they found lately that circumcision greatly diminishes the chance aids will be transmitted. So, in Africa, they are promoting it.
  •  

Doc

Quote from: Keira on September 18, 2007, 09:45:02 PM

Actually, they found lately that circumcision greatly diminishes the chance aids will be transmitted. So, in Africa, they are promoting it.

Sorry so late.

That poorly designed study has failed to take into account the fact that the circumsized guys are Muslims and the uncircumsized ones aren't. Maybe faith in a religion that expects both males and females to be virgins when they marry and demands marital fidelity diminishes the chance that AIDS will be transmitted. Similar studies, which had a smaller number of study subjects, all of them sailors in the US Navy, found that circumision made not a scrap of difference.
  •  

kalt

This has stemmed up partly in response to a video floating around the internet that's gotten quite popular, faeturing to guys in a contest to see who can be more gruesome about um... curcumcising themselves.  I won't post it considering I'm still sorry I ever saw it, and I don't want think anyone else should ever see it either.
I've run into a few people in real life now who were talking about it too.
I just don't get it.
  •  

Enigma

Quote from: kalt on November 08, 2007, 09:00:50 PM
This has stemmed up partly in response to a video floating around the internet that's gotten quite popular, faeturing to guys in a contest to see who can be more gruesome about um... curcumcising themselves.  I won't post it considering I'm still sorry I ever saw it, and I don't want think anyone else should ever see it either.
I've run into a few people in real life now who were talking about it too.
I just don't get it.

DIY circumcision never ends well...almost always a bloody mess.
  •  

kalt

I said circumcision?
I meant castration.
The images are still haunting me at different parts of the day, popping into my head unwelcomed.
  •