Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Transgender discrimination law in NSW

Started by Ms Grace, December 30, 2016, 11:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Grace

Thought this may be of interest to those living (or born) in NSW... Anti-Discrimination Board of NSW...

There is a broad definition of transgender under "Who is counted as transgender under anti-discrimination law?" which is then sharply curtailed when detailing "recognised transgender people" vs "non-recognised transgender people". It's not hard to see that those who are "recognised" have considerably more legal protection.

Despite now having had GRS I am still, techically, "non-recornised transgender" as I haven't had my birth certificated details updated (that in itself is a number of hurdles to leap over to get the proof required).
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

AnonyMs

I hope there's not a reason you're looking into that...
  •  

Ms Grace

No, just helps to be ahead of the curve, so to speak... :)
Grace
  •  

Cindy

It is going to be fun when the other state laws come through. So a MtF from SA could come to NSW with a birth certificate saying female but not having had SRS and demand entry to a female only gym while a NSW woman could not!

Sort that one out High Court!
  •  

Ms Grace

I wonder if it would be a case of "local jurisdiction applies"... like same-sex couples married overseas but not recognised as married when they enter Australia...??
Grace
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Ms Grace on December 30, 2016, 11:46:55 PM
I wonder if it would be a case of "local jurisdiction applies"... like same-sex couples married overseas but not recognised as married when they enter Australia...??

True, but how we they know? Strip and show me your genitals?
  •  

Ms Grace

Back when I had my encounter with Fernwood women's gym they asked for a letter from my doctor saying I had had the surgery...technically that is short of the requirements to be a "recognised transgender person" which is changing birth certificate gender marker (a lot more work than furnishing a letter). Could get complicated when dealing with other states!

The law is an arse!
Grace
  •  

Dana60

Interesting that because i was born overseas there doesn't seem to be any way for me to become a recognised transgender person.
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: Dana60 on December 31, 2016, 03:49:37 AM
Interesting that because i was born overseas there doesn't seem to be any way for me to become a recognised transgender person.

It's pretty bad. There's very limited ways you can get it, and some important protections you'd miss out on.
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Dana60 on December 31, 2016, 03:49:37 AM

Working my way through this issue at the moment...I am NZ citizen so I have to change it there first.

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: ElizabethK on December 31, 2016, 04:50:15 AM
Working my way through this issue at the moment...I am NZ citizen so I have to change it there first.

The nsw rules don't seem to allow for that.
  •  

Ms Grace

Liz is in South Australia...somewhat more progressive legislation was just passed that might work for her.
Grace
  •  

Cindy

The SA Labour Party loathe Bernardi and his colleagues. I think the SA group are just putting the boot in before the Feds can move.
  •  

LizK

Quote from: AnonyMs on December 31, 2016, 05:00:22 AM
The nsw rules don't seem to allow for that.

That is just the point...if you have legit ID and in my case it will be NZ then no one can argue with your identity, name , gender markers or anything. 

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Veronica J

Quote from: ElizabethK on December 31, 2016, 04:50:15 AM

Liz
oh dear, i am south african by birth, a new zealand citizen and going to become aussie this year.. wonder what that means for me?
  •  

Ms Grace

Might depend on which state in Oz you live in, whether you've had GRS, etc
Grace
  •  

Veronica J

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 12, 2017, 12:11:19 AM
Might depend on which state in Oz you live in, whether you've had GRS, etc
i live in vic, in melb..

but this is a long way off.. got me thinkning about it now tho.
  •